PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Power upgrade

I-S
23-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Apologies if you've already seen it, done it, etc...

I noticed the description of the installation of HID lights into the galant on these forums. However, for those not so modding minded, and not wishing to go to the same level of expense, there is another option.

I have recently replaced the standard headlamp bulbs in my 8g galant with Bosch Xenon Power bulbs, and they're a very significant improvement over the standard items. Of course, the HIDs are brighter, but the Xenons give a reasonable improvement, and at about £40 to outfit low and main beam, they don't break the bank.

Philips and Osram also do similar more powerful bulbs, so shop about!

And, a word of warning... Do NOT rely on the halfords flip-chart for bulb types. It has several errors on galant bulbs (It has main beam down as an H7 type 477, when it's an H1 type 448, and has the stop/tail down as a bayonet single-filament type, when it's an envelope dual-filament).

Japmetal
24-04-2004, 12:51 AM
I have already done this, along with sourcing some 20w sidelight bulbs [instead of the usual 5w] to improve both the close-range spread and overall brightness of my lamps. These fit instead of the standard R233 bayonet cap bulb, although at £6 each they're not cheap [as bulbs go !]

These definately make a difference, since I can now practically drive round on my sidelights alone !