PDA

View Full Version : Front Bumper/Grille questions

I-S
23-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Couple of quick ones...

1) My 98 GLS has a non-standard front grille:

http://www.askisaac.com/images/car/carfront2s.jpg

I have seen one other galant with this front grille. (I personally think it also looks better than the standard one :p ). Does anyone have any idea as to the origins of this grille? Is it something to do with my car being bought originally by a serviceman in germany from a german dealer?

2) I have, irritatingly, managed to crack in two places the bottom part of the front bumper moulding (You're probably all aware of how low the galant is. I ran the spoiler up on a kerb, where it will happily go forward. When you reverse, it digs in like a barb, and has cracked). Whilst a little duct tape on the back of the bumper (out of sight of course) keeps it all together, and it's not in danger of falling off, I would at some point like to replace this piece (it's also suffered the galant bugbear, stonechips!). Any chance of finding one in finesse green from a scrappy, or am I best off getting one new, and at what price?

adam_shaw
23-04-2004, 07:15 AM
If you go to Mitsi dealer with the VIN number they should find you the correct grill.

I don't recall seeing one like that before, my last Galant was a German bought car, again by a squaddie (nothing like no VAT to get you buying big cars - and did I mention fuel coupons?) and I had the same grille as the UK cars.

It looks a little like the grille I've seen on some of the Sigma imports around the place, but as I said VIN and Mitsi should do the trick.

I had to get one recently (sport style) and it came up about 85 quid :eek:

A

Big Ian
23-04-2004, 10:43 AM
ISAAC if you find-out the part number for your grill can you post it ,i agree with you it look's a lot better than the normal GLS one's.

I-S
23-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Adam- It's a mitsubishi grille, and was original fit I believe, so it's "correct" as much as the UK one is. Like I said, I prefer it. Was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I've seen a saloon with one as well.

Ian - if I find it, I will.

Nick Mann
23-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Isaac - I think you misunderstood Adam. I think he was saying that if you give your VIN to a dealer and ask them for the grill part no., they should give you the part number for your 'correct' grill. It should be diffeent from most of the rest of us if we were to do the same.
I think he was saying the correct (as per your photo) grill for your car, rather than implying your grill was incorrect!

Give it a go and see what happens - nothing to lose!

adam_shaw
23-04-2004, 01:23 PM
That was what I meant about the VIN. I seem to find little differences all over my car, for instance I have the double fogs (one of which smashed :( ), which I don't see on too many other Galant's (even though some are also sports).

But a quick trip to the dealer, give in the VIN and et voila, bientot - correct part.

Sorry if my tact is missing - too much time amongst the afore mentioned Germans.

A

I-S
23-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Ah, sorry, misunderstood.

Yes, I might do that. Thanks!

I assume that it would probably be interchangeable with the other grilles.

Nick Mann
23-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Saw one like yours, Adam at a pub near Bromsgrove a few weeks ago. Same spots and everything. Left a note on his rear window about the club, but it was very windy so don't know if he got it.

Sorry! Off topic! :$