PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Mauve Galant M5 Hard Shoulder :(

foxdie
17-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Me and Chris decided to head home last night because we weren't feeling too good (dodgy jacket potato filling we suspect), on the way home heading up the M5 Northbound around Worcester we saw a Trigger Mauve Galant on the hard shoulder with its hazards on, but didn't notice until it was too late and couldn't stop in time / safely, nor were there any junctions to double back and see if they were okay.

Whoever you were, I hope you got home safe and that the damage (if any) was minimal.

miller
17-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Me and Atik stopped for them aswell, clutch gone and RAC were on their way! We thought it was you Jason!!!!!

foxdie
17-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm flattered :)

Glad you stopped for them, although not an expense anyone wants, at least a clutch isn't as expensive to resolve as say a slushbox or rear diff / AYC pump failure :)

Nutter_John
17-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm flattered :)

Glad you stopped for them, although not an expense anyone wants, at least a clutch isn't as expensive to resolve as say a slushbox or rear diff / AYC pump failure :)

Don't coount on it , 8 hrs labour and around £260 for parts assuming the flywheel is fine

But Alas I hope the car gets sorted and it goes to prove how good the club is at supporting it's members

bradc
17-05-2009, 08:24 PM
So who's car was it? Not Malc's?

Spirit
17-05-2009, 08:27 PM
It wouldn't have been Malc's, he lives in the opposite direction.

Good on ya for stopping to help guys :2thumbsup

Nutter_John
17-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Feck wasn't Kev AP going that way to shakspere

Spirit
17-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Feck wasn't Kev AP going that way to shakspere

Oh sh1t, yeah could have been - he mentioned his new clutch was already giving him problems.....will text him !

Atik
17-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Might have been KevAP. The front bumper was not standard, the upper grille was one of those large open ones. There were two ladies in the car, and if it was Kev, maybe he'd gone off to call from the emergency phone on the hard shoulder?

Anyway, hope it gets sorted soon.

Spirit
18-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Yep it must have been Kev. Got a text when I turned the phone on this morning which said the gearbox had gone ! Poor Kev, the car does nowt but kick him in the teeth !

bradc
18-05-2009, 08:41 AM
What type of gearbox was it? Any ideas on how it failed?

AlanDITD
18-05-2009, 10:37 AM
What type of gearbox was it? Any ideas on how it failed?

Never miss a chance to autobash eh brad

Turbo_Steve
18-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately, it's a reasonable question...it's just that when brad asks, it sounds like a puppy with a new toy. :D

bradc
18-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I actually thought it was a manual hence my concern

peter thomson
18-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I thought it was a manual

Ryan
18-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice save Brad ;) From what I've seen of KevAP's posts, his car seems to be extraordinarily powerful - 500BHP+

Whether or not this is the same car in question, remains to be seen.

AlanDITD
18-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Im going to avoid sarcstic remarks from now on, there wasted on here

Atik
18-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I believe it is a manual too. The lady in the passenger seat said that the clutch had gone, suggesting manual. I didnt look close enough inside the car as I didnt want to seem stalker-ish!

Anyway, hope we can get an update from Kev at some point soon as I felt a little guilty leaving them on the hard shoulder even though there was nothing I could do to help.

MPBVr4
18-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Definately manual. It was Pete's old VR4 before Kev got hold of and did the conversion together with a fanatastic engine upgrade.

Poor bloke has spent fortune on it and had nothing but grief, one way and another.

Turbo_Steve
18-05-2009, 02:59 PM
mmm...but big power always costs big money, sooner or later.

Still, it's very disheartening for him. poor kev...never seems to be going for long, does it?

AlanDITD
18-05-2009, 03:06 PM
mmm...but big power always costs big money, sooner or later.

Still, it's very disheartening for him. poor kev...never seems to be going for long, does it?

Always does, theres almost double the power going through the sme parts.

Was the manual box uprated? Be interesteing to know which part failed though, and if its possible to upgrade that part easily enough.

Nutter_John
18-05-2009, 03:09 PM
it is an evo box so the upgrade is a lot easier

AlanDITD
18-05-2009, 03:12 PM
is the EVO box itself an uprade over the manual legnum box? The ratios are differnt im guessing but are the parts actually stronger?

Nutter_John
18-05-2009, 03:19 PM
No the VR4 box is an EVO box with different ratio's so it is not an upgrade , but he will be able to use uprated bits , infact one option he can do is lower the final drive

Spirit
18-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Not heard back from Kev since I texted him back this morning.

I know he fitted a new clutch about 2 weeks ago, and had commented it was already slipping.....but his text said the gearbox had gone, not the clutch.

kevin ap motors
18-05-2009, 04:36 PM
hi all it was me ,clutch started slipping bad and then lost all drive and pedel fell to floor,clutch release bearing fallen off clutch as it is a pull clutch,got gearbox oil driping out of bell housing will strip this week just pissed off with car.
had a 5 hour tow to plymouth sat night will try again.
thanks to members for stopping was a good day shame it ended like it did.
all the best
kev

Spirit
18-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank god it was nothing too serious mate, and you got back ok. A bet the ladies where a tad p1ssed off too.

Faulty clutch then, can you claim under warranty ?

White Lightning
18-05-2009, 05:23 PM
What a sh1tter ... bad luck Kev and after replacing the diff the day before to get to Japfest too!

The Vee
18-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Gutted for you mate - just when it looked like it was all coming together. Be patient - you'll get there

bradc
18-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Sounds like it wasn't installed properly?

davcom1
18-05-2009, 11:19 PM
...and the resulting silence was deafening!

davcom1
18-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Bloody shame about the car. It seems that its just not meant to be.

kevin ap motors
19-05-2009, 12:40 PM
the car will be ok just when you take a car up on power all sorts of things are sent to try us,no one on hear knows what power the gearbox,diff and transfer can take.
oredring a twin plate

It is easy to say things wont come togather but no one else has tried what i have tried so when you try and run the power i run then you can comment>| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >| >|

Lillywotsername
19-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Kev...I don't think anyone meant their comments to be personal Hun. I am sure I can speak for the whole club when i say that we all want you to succeed with this and that we are gutted for you that you seem to have experienced difficulties.

Hope you get your gearbox sorted without too much delay and all the best for your plans with it. :)

MPBVr4
19-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Yep what Lilly said. We're all behind you mate. You'll get there in the end. I would have given up looong ago. I get pi$$ed off when a light bulb goes:uhoh2:

Turbo_Steve
19-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Kev...apologies if I came across as derogatory, it was meant to be compainonable! I've been down the "ridiculous power" route on other cars, and it's expensive and very very trying on the patience. Hence me not doing it this time! LOL However, as I said, you WILL get there with enough determination, and you're breaking ground (as well as components) so we're all behind you. If nothing else, it's good to know what breaks when. From your point of view, it's good to know you're building a MONSTER! :D

davcom1
19-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I cannot see where there was any particularly painful remarks made?

Perhaps it was mine?

People are showing an interest, compassion and adding a comment or two. I'm sure many on the forum know what you do for a living and what you are trying to achieve with the car plus have some idea of how hard you've worked on it.

But this is a forum where people are allowed to voice an opinion. Saying that people are not allowed to comment because they haven't done what you have is a little extreme! It's like me saying that people who cannot spell "powerful" shouldn't type anything either.

I understand you must be really gutted about the car and have full respect for your tenacity to achieve your dream but I do think your last comment was a little tetchy.

Here's hoping you reach your nirvana soon.

Wodjno
19-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Well at least you know it's got Good suspension, Power Steering Pump and Rocker cover !!

Oh and by the way you have PM's ?