PDA

View Full Version : Custom Dash Console

VR4WGN
18-05-2009, 07:48 AM
well as you can see iv finally completed the unit and trial fitted it with various factory and aftermarket items and fits beautifully.

iv flashed off the sunglass and ashtray areas,ignore the screw holes as theyr just used for a depth measurer,the lighter socket however wil lstil lbe where it normally goes .
the Top vent unit is for those guage freeks,a block off unit will be supplied so that the hot air(if using it) wont blow directly onto your guages either..

ETA mid next week i should be pulling the 1st one out of the mold along with the Fibreglass Facelift bumpers too for all those wanting a replacement...

sodge
18-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Nice work, looks good. Does it use the factory mounts?

bradc
18-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Looks good, now you just need to mount the air con at the bottom of the assembly aiming upwards, and use the space at the top for like 8 gauges.

orionn2o
18-05-2009, 10:43 AM
nice work.. this is something ive started looking into myself.. i'll be interested to see your final outcome :)

Atik
18-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Looks good. I would also like to add that if it was possible, maybe you could relocate the CC unit to a much lower position, maybe where the sunglass holder was originally, pointing slightly upwards. Give much more space to play with for dials/gauges/controllers etc.

I have done a crude mockup of something that would personally be of interest to me if it was available.

uploaded/50445/1242646872.jpg

If you moulded the actual panel straight down as per the green outline instead of folding back into the gap in front of the gear lever. The cigarette lighter and clock in the lowest green spaces. The CC unit in the red space facing upwards at an angle of around 40degrees. Then that leaves the top half available for people to use for stereo equipment, a 10" screen would easily fit in the space. The actual CC location could then be used for gauges and other stuff. I know I'd fit my E-01 screen and controller up in that area if I could. You could even have a mount for a phone up in that area too.

Again, I dont know how feasible this is, but I thought I'd share my ideal dash, and if it was available, I'd definitely buy one (or even two - one to keep as spare).

bradc
18-05-2009, 09:20 PM
That is EXACTLY what I want too, but without the ciggie lighter, perhaps a single din cubby hole could be installed down at the bottom on a small angle. I am in the habit of putting my wallet and phone on the front of the gear surround one long drives and they always fly backwards whenever I hit boost.

VR4WGN
18-05-2009, 09:46 PM
hahaha you shouldnt be boostn it brad lol.. um guys for now i wil lonly make these like i have BUT.... i can however if you buy a unit im happy to customize them to your liking thoi,personally,so theres no same ole jane styles and your item will be fully 1 of a kind custom then,leme know and im sure we can work something out
~Q~

CANDEE
19-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Any better pics of the vent part dude? might me interested.

Also have you done a console for an mmcs unit?

orionn2o
19-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Looks good. I would also like to add that if it was possible, maybe you could relocate the CC unit to a much lower position, maybe where the sunglass holder was originally, pointing slightly upwards. Give much more space to play with for dials/gauges/controllers etc.

I have done a crude mockup of something that would personally be of interest to me if it was available.

uploaded/50445/1242646872.jpg

If you moulded the actual panel straight down as per the green outline instead of folding back into the gap in front of the gear lever. The cigarette lighter and clock in the lowest green spaces. The CC unit in the red space facing upwards at an angle of around 40degrees. Then that leaves the top half available for people to use for stereo equipment, a 10" screen would easily fit in the space. The actual CC location could then be used for gauges and other stuff. I know I'd fit my E-01 screen and controller up in that area if I could. You could even have a mount for a phone up in that area too.

Again, I dont know how feasible this is, but I thought I'd share my ideal dash, and if it was available, I'd definitely buy one (or even two - one to keep as spare).

Atik. Funnily enough, this is exactly what i've been looking into. also losing the ash tray and having more room for gauges.

The only comment i would make is that a 10" screen is bigger than you think! I tried to fit one and it was massive lol !

Atik
19-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Haha, fair enough Matt :p I'm happy with my 7.2 inches ;)

I have a spare dash console at home so I may try something myself in the coming months... but I dont have too much faith in my fibre glassing skillz!

Going to try to fill the bottom half out and fit my E-01 screen and controller and incorporate an iPhone mount into the space. Maybe even try a bolt-over panel that covers the bottom instead of moulded to the whole console.

orionn2o
19-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Going to try to fill the bottom half out and fit my E-01 screen and controller and incorporate an iPhone mount into the space. Maybe even try a bolt-over panel that covers the bottom instead of moulded to the whole console.

good idea mate, thats what Gowf has done to his..

Fair point on the screen front, I went for an 8" in the end (only cos my 7" widescreen broke). But now i'm in a position of needing to make a new dash.... again!

CANDEE
25-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Any better pics of the vent part dude? might me interested.

Also have you done a console for an mmcs unit?
Any more on this Q?

J

VR4WGN
25-05-2009, 11:06 AM
just produced 2 vents today so im guna see bout a possible slide in then i can start selln them and people can cut them and fit whatever they want in or pay me to do the work for them lol,dont know what people wud preferr tho...

VR4WGN
25-05-2009, 11:07 AM
as for tv mmc unit,um um um um not at this stage its ALOT making the surround on its own ay,so im not ready to ply with another style yet lol,but as a custom paid job yep fine lol

VR4WGN
26-05-2009, 06:06 AM
ok heres the articles out of th mold themselves,im very pleased with the good fitment stright from the mold,i am in the process now of sorting the steel reinforcer in the back and farming a unit that can be glassed to the surround to fasten the AC unit to,aswell as depth stoppers tooso i will propbly list these for sale at the end of this week,i also made a gear lever cover unit aswell,so thats all 3 parts replaceable now

VR4WGN
19-06-2009, 02:22 AM
got the mounting brackets finally for the ac unit so now i can do the next stage,wiating for more F/Glass product too,so sorryf or the delays

snickells
04-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Far out, they look awesome man! Cant wait to see what else you have up your sleeve ;)

VR4WGN
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Far out, they look awesome man! Cant wait to see what else you have up your sleeve ;)

not much,just sum fluff i thort was actual hair but am too young for this aparantly lol... give me till august my friend and ill be hitting you up sooon about loadn em up on your site toooo.

the Guage pod Vent replacement should have 1 finished this week inbetween fibreglassn

Atik
15-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I have a plan up my sleeve too... Didnt think it warranted a new thread so I hope you dont mind me jumping on your thread Q?

I've just started fibreglassing a mould for a small panel to sit on top of the gear surround bit from about 5mm away from the gear lever hole and lean into the dash and fit to just under the stereo hole.

Hopefully the final product will be strong enough to cut a hole out, fit some mounting points and put my EBC screen and controller flush to it. I will lose the ashtray and sunglass holder but I dont use them anyway. I will hopefully fit a cigarette lighter extention to the new panel so I still have use of that to power various things.

Feedback welcome... oh, the aluminium panel is not a final fix. Its just to keep the fibreglass and resin smooth and firm, and yes, I should have clingfilmed it, not sure if the finished product will peel off from it in the end :sigh:

VR4WGN
16-07-2009, 08:56 PM
grab some car polish if you dont got high-temp wax or pva lol,i dont mind dude,its still on the scale of what we are doing so all good!!
iv done the Top Vent,should have pics up this weekend,as for the dash surround i need to widen it first,then im going to make me a custom cut 1 that comes out the way you guys showed me,so im not too far behind,maby a week ish!!

Atik
16-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I got PVA. Would that help to remove the fibreglass from the aluminium? I was only planning to put one layer of fibre on the aluminium just to get a shape, but I checked this morning and the thing is well and truly stuck to it now!

Gly
17-07-2009, 09:24 AM
glad wrap over the parts you dont want it to stick to

VR4WGN
17-07-2009, 12:26 PM
dont Glad wrap anything with fibreglassing dude!! itll shrivvle the inside of the mold for starters,eat into the plastic aswell and just turn out arse!! um aslong as its the skin water based Poly vinyl Alchole,spray that on till you get a green coat then gelcoat,resin+matt and tacky dry,trim unit and remove from it next day,now use a blade to part the 2 then wedges to increase spaces,then it shud just pop straight off

Atik
18-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that the fibreglass peels off from the aluminium plate like its not even there! Super smooth surface, peeled without any hesitation or distortion.

I dont even have to fill and sand/smooth the surface, its that good! Just putting some more fibres together now to strengthen the sides and corners then gonna get to work to get the top line levelled out perfectly.

Once the panel is good and I know it fits well, I'll measure out the spacing for the EBC screen and controller. Possibly refit the electric heated seats on it too if there is space so I can return to the dual cupholder!

rees
18-07-2009, 07:00 PM
sorry ill be honest , ive not followed this thread i simply saw the pic on page 1

anyway vr4wgn

are you making these to order if so , how much $$$ for a carbon fibre effect centre console cut out to fit a 10" touch screen ? :d

pm me dude,

Atik
18-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Rees, a 10" screen will be difficult to fit in the console.

As Matt said "The only comment i would make is that a 10" screen is bigger than you think! I tried to fit one and it was massive !"

But I'm sure that Q can probably work something with his magic so not sure.

VR4WGN
18-07-2009, 10:33 PM
anything is possible,um it will be difficult as the mounting brackets wil pose a problem,as for the cf it will need to be vinyld on,i cant lay cf in such confinments,but a pro may lol,im just a small fry,, um and yes i will be selling these once i perfect the item,the top vent is done and will post pics in a day or two guys,thanx heaps

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 03:22 AM
hey guys well well well,um 6months later and we have the 1st one designed and painted,was a bit of a mission farming certain jobs out to get the end result but here it is,well worth all the work.
now i know many of you will say this os that but this is the 1st ok.
there wil lbe the offer of as many guage holes you want too(i dont mind).
other options available for this guage unit is a sun visor that fits over the top of the guage and you can rotate the angle however you want.

the pods are machined up out of aluminium and are preffered left in that finish but i painted the entire thing.

this 1 unit will be for sale soon but i will make these to order
i will do a write up in the for sale section aswell

please if you think its good and you like it please dont hesitate to lt me know,support makes people go along way
~Q~

bradc
23-07-2009, 04:01 AM
looks good but I'd prefer the gauges to be flush with the fascia rather than sticking out by 20mm or so.

xt4t1k
23-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Thats super good! I'll be putting my name down as soon as you start taking orders, gotta get rid of my woodgrain dash...

rees
23-07-2009, 10:57 AM
yeah am feelin what your saying (posts 26 & 27) in reply to my questions
and it would be a challenge , but as ive said before these cars are all about challenges :)
it would involve removing the plastic surround from the touchscreen etc
but i reckon it could work

anyway ill what this thread intesnsley for any updates so keep up all posted so that we can start talking $$$$'s :thumbsup:

rees
23-07-2009, 10:58 AM
just lookin at the photos, i reckon i'd buy a crappy wood dash complete then let you repaint / vinyl it all , so i could put my CF back in if i wanted

rees
23-07-2009, 10:59 AM
y'know its times like this its worth lookin on car domain etc to look for some examples , thes some proper pimpin goin on there :pimp2:

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Rees sorry um Pimpin'?? lol im not Xzibit lol,im Q lol,um yea i am more thn happy to look into a custom dash system for you lol,let me just perfect the fibreglass aftermarket replacement then we can start playing with serious mods lol,but definatly keen on taking on a project like that.. 10" will be challenging lol

bradc
23-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Qzibit? :D

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Qzibit? :D
hahaha you reckshon? i like Qcustoms beter lol,plus im baked not grilled /megawoot lol

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 09:12 PM
looks good but I'd prefer the gauges to be flush with the fascia rather than sticking out by 20mm or so.

i can stil ldo this,its easy,just recess the pods in more lol,but i thort you may want em facing you lol:mask:

CANDEE
24-07-2009, 07:05 AM
What did you do with the hazard light switch Q?

J

VR4WGN
24-07-2009, 08:16 PM
What did you do with the hazard light switch Q?

J
my car doesnt have 1 sir! lol,im still deciding where i am going to mount this,possible down below when i build the dash surround to come flush with the dash i think
~Q~

nabassu
29-07-2009, 10:34 AM
w8 for mine :>

VR4WGN
29-07-2009, 11:32 AM
am waiting, and waiting... and yet still get older

nabassu
25-09-2010, 12:24 PM
i lost my touch in console mod, since my car is wrecked :D
but not for long now!
muahahaha! :>

VR4WGN
27-09-2010, 05:35 PM
all gas no pics!!!!! its been some months now,dont blow trumpets without producing the goods lol

Nitephyre
02-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Hey Q & Attik, do you guys have measurements and/or templates for your consoles you made... I'm doing this at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to make a good template.

Cheers,
Matt :)

VR4WGN
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Q & Attik, do you guys have measurements and/or templates for your consoles you made... I'm doing this at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to make a good template.

Cheers,
Matt :)

Matty hey.. um custom kinda never has measurements as its trial and error,plus the original mold i made shrank aver 4% overall so bog out and make a new one larger...
i still have not completed it tho...

Atik
02-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Not completed mine yet either... actually dont even know where I put the panel I started making! Sorry bud

jahooli
17-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Not completed mine yet either... actually dont even know where I put the panel I started making! Sorry bud

Find it, find it, find it!!!!
i think its the perfect place to put gauges, don't really want to loose the vents although guages look good there.
I like the idea of the lower part not folding under.

I started making a template and was going to try mdf but i couldnt get the template to sit flush due to the curve on the original console.

does anyone on the site have a bolt on or anything?
thanks

VR4WGN
20-12-2010, 07:05 PM
yea an mine is still hanging up on the wall looking at me lol.... just dont get time at the mo,but hope to complete by feb