PDA

View Full Version : Appeal to NZ Committee

Ryan
18-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Please may we arrange some sort of track day for both north and south island (where are those new committee members???)

Seeing the Japfest pictures and all the fun the UK "chapter" members had, I feel quite left out :bigcry: I've never been around any NZ circuit and I'd really like to give my car a good (legal) thrashing around a track!

What say ye?! :D

chris g
18-05-2009, 11:44 AM
So would that be Pukekohe, Taupo or Manfeild that was equidistant for all owners/North Island owners...?

chris g
18-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Thinkg now of the geography, somewhere closer to Wellington would be equidistant but if most owners in North Island then Taupo more than Manfeild would be fairer for travelling...?

Or is that the other way round...?

I enjoyed Pukekohe, wish I had made it to trackdays at Taupo and Manfeild that MR2 Club NZ organised...

Hope you get one organised for the track day virgins, it's great fun but be aware it is addictive!

bradc
18-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Or Hampton Downs as that is opening soon

VR4WGN
18-05-2009, 09:28 PM
id really like this aswell,um but is there any possibility of making it round august? for 2 reasons,1 my personal and 2 give evryone enough time to save and apply for leave should some be travelling afar?,maby we can even do some fund raising for the less fortunate guys maby?

scott.mohekey
18-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Ruapuuuuna! lol.

But seriously.. somewhere up north is cool if we're able to have plenty of advance warning. As Quinton said, we'll need to book leave and raise funds for petrol, ferry, accommodation etc.

sodge
18-05-2009, 10:28 PM

I know its a long way up for the south island members but I'd seconded Hampton Downs, looks to be an awesome track, I went around it in a 4wd a couple of months back. Their still a way off finishing but the timing could be right.

Kenneth
18-05-2009, 10:30 PM
If someone is keen to organise it, then go for it.

The cost is prohibitive to the point where we will have to join in on some open day, or find another club which we can share with. (We did look into this last year)

The regional reps etc will start to be organised after we assign the new treasurer and get that going. Just waiting to hear back from the candidate :P

Goku
18-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Ruapuuuuna! lol.

But seriously.. somewhere up north is cool if we're able to have plenty of advance warning. As Quinton said, we'll need to book leave and raise funds for petrol, ferry, accommodation etc.

Yea, Ruapuna would be cool, I have a couple of contacts in the canterbury car club, so we'll see what will happen there :)

As for a NI trip..... not for me this year anyways.

Ryan
18-05-2009, 11:44 PM
If someone is keen to organise it, then go for it.

With respect Kenneth, isn't that part of the committee's role?

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Organising a successful event takes a lot of time and effort. At present the NZ committee (in it's greatly reduced capacity) is not in a position to do this.

The restructuring which is in the pipeline is supposed to address this issue quite specifically, but you will have to wait a little while for that.

That being said, there is no good reason why a non-committee member shouldn't take it upon themselves to organise an event.
You might even find that doing a good job will greatly improve your chances in landing you a position as regional rep, if that is what you want.

With respect Kenneth, isn't that part of the committee's role?

Subaru ETA
19-05-2009, 12:13 AM
i agree with ken - organising a track day is a pain in the arse. I tried to last year. Countless emails to Pukekohe got me no where and it took about 10 emails to Taupo to get a response.

it is a VERY expensive exercise and it is difficult to get people to committe to such an expensive day out. i mean, even when we just have a mini meet, how many people who say they are def in dont turn up?

it would be all very well putting up a poll to gauge interest, but then when the reality of $$ come into it, alot of people just wont commit, and considering an event like a track day involves deposits, this makes things very difficult.

GroundControl
19-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I think I've said it in every NZ trackday thread, but GPForums usually runs 2 to 3 a year on the full track at Taupo - the attendees are generally a good bunch of people and it's a lot of fun :)

There isn't one lined up right now (the last was a couple of months ago) but there's bound to be another organised for later in the year.

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Cheers Sam. Thanks for always letting us know, its a shame there isn't usually more interest.

I am keen to go to the next one if possible, one hopes the Galant isn't in bits again by then!

I think I've said it in every NZ trackday thread, but GPForums usually runs 2 to 3 a year on the full track at Taupo - the attendees are generally a good bunch of people and it's a lot of fun :)

There isn't one lined up right now (the last was a couple of months ago) but there's bound to be another organised for later in the year.

Ryan
19-05-2009, 12:22 AM

Right then, is there some way we can make contact with the Mods on GPForums and make some noises indicating that we'd like to attend a trackday in conjunction with them?

Hopefully the more people that commit to attending will lower the overall expense and in turn, perhaps make it more appealing to our members to attend?

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I am sure Sam will let us know when the next one is coming about, we can sort it then.

Sam, IIRC you organised the Club VR-4 member participants last time(s) we had people attend? (pretty sure a couple of people have turned up before... unless it was another track day)

Right then, is there some way we can make contact with the Mods on GPForums and make some noises indicating that we'd like to attend a trackday in conjunction with them?

Hopefully the more people that commit to attending will lower the overall expense and in turn, perhaps make it more appealing to our members to attend?

Ryan
19-05-2009, 12:51 AM
I am sure Sam will let us know when the next one is coming about, we can sort it then.

Sam, IIRC you organised the Club VR-4 member participants last time(s) we had people attend? (pretty sure a couple of people have turned up before... unless it was another track day)

That being said, there is no good reason why a non-committee member shouldn't take it upon themselves to organise an event.

As above. I merely asked Sam if he could talk to the GPforum chaps, that's all. *shrugs*

VR4WGN
19-05-2009, 01:20 AM
again ,commitment and time to prepare wil be important to majority.
so if you guys up north just wanna go to a track day then thats understandable,but id like to meet evryone sometime al lat once with a jam pcked maby "weekend" away doing not only track time but a bita rec time too etc..

Ryan
19-05-2009, 01:46 AM

Brad, looking at the progress of construction I'd say that it isn't going to be ready for some time:

http://www.hamptondowns.com/Construction-Update.wse

GroundControl
19-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Yeah I'll post next time a GPForums one is organised.

Registering for attendance is pretty much just a matter of signing up on their forums, posting in the thread and paying the money (which for the past few has been $150).

Kenneth: if you're thinking about the Pukekohe one back in... um... 2005 (?) then that wasn't me doing any organising. My flatmate (who used to be a member here - detonate) come down with me to one of the GPForums days, but I don't think there have been any other Club members attend (oh, except for AllBeItMine in his Evo).

Joanne
19-05-2009, 02:23 AM
I looked into this earlier this year, trying to organise us to use the Taupo track. They weren't terribly useful, and the cost was very high. As Kenneth has already said, the NZ side of the club is lacking in finances at present, which put a stop to what I had in mind.

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks.

Yeah, was probably that one I was thinking of. I am pretty sure that a couple of people went to one. Brad always goes on about the Caldina GT-Ts being slower than the VR-4s down the back straight /haz

Yeah I'll post next time a GPForums one is organised.

Registering for attendance is pretty much just a matter of signing up on their forums, posting in the thread and paying the money (which for the past few has been $150).

Kenneth: if you're thinking about the Pukekohe one back in... um... 2005 (?) then that wasn't me doing any organising. My flatmate (who used to be a member here - detonate) come down with me to one of the GPForums days, but I don't think there have been any other Club members attend (oh, except for AllBeItMine in his Evo).

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 02:52 AM
We could probably fund a track day, but it would mean raising yearly membership to at least $100 per year!

Who is keen!?

Ryan
19-05-2009, 02:58 AM
For less than $10 a month and one guaranteed track day per year? Sounds fine to me! :)

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 03:13 AM
For anyone interested in what it costs to hire out Taupo, as of 12 Feb 2009

"Track hire varies in cost depening on which track you require and whether it is a week day or weekend. As an exaple the full track is $4500.00 on a weekday and $6500.00 on a weekend day. We do have smaller tracks available."

So to clear enough for one track day a year, we would need to have at least 65 join/renew at ~$130NZ per year. (we still need to pay the hosting fees as well)

Ryan
19-05-2009, 03:36 AM
Sheehyte that is quite a lot. I wonder if say... Pukekohe would be cheaper?

I've had a look at their events calendar for this month. This Saturday they have Controlled Testing (whatever that is?) which is open to the public and is $90 per vehicle from 1030-1630:

http://www.countiesracing.co.nz/motor-racing/?contentid=13&bookingid=570

OK - just rang Pukekohe, they're ~ $4k for a weekend day depending on what we want to do. This "controlled testing" is just driving around the circuit pretty much.

They have these controlled testing days quite regularly too.

GroundControl
19-05-2009, 04:11 AM
While Pukekohe is closer (for Aucklanders), Taupo is a much more interesting (and forgiving) track. Plenty of runout at Taupo, plenty of walls at Pukekohe :p

I'm not sure that I support raising club membership to fund trackdays. Not everyone wants to attend trackdays, so they shouldn't have to pay to subsidise those who do. Save your pennies that you would otherwise spend on increased membership fees and use those to pay your own way to a trackday instead.

Kenneth
19-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Pukekohe isn't the most inspiring track when you look at it... If I am going to pay decent money, it wont be to go there :P

Don't worry, we would not raise memberships to fund track days, for starters it would totally kill our member base :P I used that more as an indication of what it would take for us to be able to fund them.

Do you know approximately how many usually turn up to the GPForums track days?

While Pukekohe is closer (for Aucklanders), Taupo is a much more interesting (and forgiving) track. Plenty of runout at Taupo, plenty of walls at Pukekohe :p

I'm not sure that I support raising club membership to fund trackdays. Not everyone wants to attend trackdays, so they shouldn't have to pay to subsidise those who do. Save your pennies that you would otherwise spend on increased membership fees and use those to pay your own way to a trackday instead.

Gly
19-05-2009, 04:21 AM
www.playdayontrack.co.nz

Zitchu
19-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Taupo or Hampton Downs please. You can't get a proper lap out of Puke unless your speed cut has been removed. Then theres the bumps....

Stevo
19-05-2009, 07:28 AM
what about ruhapuna? (sorry about the spelling) anybody know what the track rental is for there?? and isint there a dragstrip there as well

i know its quite a drive for aucklanders but saying that its quite a drive for ppl down here in chch n dunnaz to get up to taupo or aux.

also if there was one set up especally for southisland members theres always teratonga

Joanne
19-05-2009, 07:34 AM
The play day on track would be an option, but they seem to always be on weekdays.

Gly
19-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Saturday 11th July Taupo Track 2 $130

bradc
19-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I've been to Pukekohe 3 times. Once was the Vodafone day which was $150 I think back in 2005. That was organised through P1_ as he worked at Vodafone back then.

I've been to the generic open days twice, once was with Allbeitmine. It was $90 and you got about a 15 minute session per hour throughout the day. No pace cars or anything. I assume that is what is happening this Saturday. Large variety of cars, there was an RB26DETT Skyline, an Altezza, S2000, WRX STI, RX8, various commodores, couple of old 3 series bmw's, and so on.

GroundControl
19-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Do you know approximately how many usually turn up to the GPForums track days?

The last few have been no more than 25 cars I'd say. If you wanted to you could have gone out pretty much back-to-back sessions for the entire day (if your car could handle it).

Subaru ETA
19-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Sheehyte that is quite a lot. I wonder if say... Pukekohe would be cheaper?

I've had a look at their events calendar for this month. This Saturday they have Controlled Testing (whatever that is?) which is open to the public and is $90 per vehicle from 1030-1630:

http://www.countiesracing.co.nz/motor-racing/?contentid=13&bookingid=570

OK - just rang Pukekohe, they're ~ $4k for a weekend day depending on what we want to do. This "controlled testing" is just driving around the circuit pretty much.

They have these controlled testing days quite regularly too.

When i posted up about organising a track day ages ago every one was keen...that was until i posted how much it was going to be!!!

Brad - how about using some of that land out at your place to build a track? :p

bradc
20-05-2009, 03:14 AM
We could use the road, continue it in a straight line, then swoop back up and around to the driveway. Sounds good to me. Now who is friendly with a roading company?

scott.mohekey
20-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Where's your kiwi diy attitude?

Ryan
20-05-2009, 03:53 AM
We could use the road, continue it in a straight line, then swoop back up and around to the driveway. Sounds good to me. Now who is friendly with a roading company?

Maybe fly Shane up to perform a site inspection ;)

Joanne
20-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Saturday 11th July Taupo Track 2 $130

Who would be keen to go to this then?

Subaru ETA
20-05-2009, 06:34 AM
If i can get time off work im in

Ryan
20-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Who would be keen to go to this then?

I've been subtly /secret informed that I'm not actually allowed to participate due to my missing some err... "documentation".

dickytim
20-05-2009, 07:52 AM
maybe we could take our push bikes....

bradc
20-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm keen for July 11th

Joanne
21-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Right, that's two people keen... sounds like it could be a possible meet! Brad/David - fancy putting your hand up to organise a meeting place for any other members who want to go?

I won't be going down at this stage - still got a little bit more studying that has to be done at the weekend :(

Subaru ETA
21-05-2009, 06:22 AM
If hampton downs ever gets finished there pricing seems pretty good

http://www.hamptondowns.com/Track-Bookings.wse

dickytim
21-05-2009, 08:00 PM
If hampton downs ever gets finished there pricing seems pretty good

http://www.hamptondowns.com/Track-Bookings.wse

The skid pan could be fun.....

Gymkana anyone?

I have a dozen rode cones down at the arena.

bow dn
22-05-2009, 03:05 AM
The skid pan could be fun.....

Gymkana anyone?

I have a dozen rode cones down at the arena.

Ive neva done 1 but im keen & I work for a hire company so if you need more cones or even barriers to set up im there :)

GroundControl
19-06-2009, 02:34 AM
The next GPForums trackday has been pencilled in for 31st August 2009 - unfortunately I won't be attending this one (if it goes ahead on that date) as I'm going to be in Queenstown.

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/356763/

However if you're keen to commit, register on GPForums and post in that thread :)

Fully
19-06-2009, 10:40 AM
The next GPForums trackday has been pencilled in for 31st August 2009 - unfortunately I won't be attending this one (if it goes ahead on that date) as I'm going to be in Queenstown.

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/356763/

However if you're keen to commit, register on GPForums and post in that thread :)

Hell yer they are a lot of fun, not badly priced either. A lot of different types of cars turn up to them :)

Who want's a track made?
Show me your plans, must have banked curves for faster cornering :D

Next Playday events,

Saturday 11th July
Taupo
Track 2 $130

Saturday 18th July
Ruapuna
$85 (huge turnout from the april event, cost reduced + off season)

Saturday 12th September
Manfeild
$105

For only $40 they will do in car set up (driving position etc) & a set of 5 laps with you providing instructions.
The driver trainers will be back at Pukekohe, they are thinking about extending this to other tracks :D

More info register...etc here http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz