PDA

View Full Version : The right engine oil?

haydar
05-06-2003, 01:53 AM
I want to know what is the best engine oil to use with the VR4 and what is the correct viscosity?

I think someone has said else where on this forum that the correct viscosity is 10W/30. I've tried to find this in my local garages but none of them have heard of a 10W/30 fully synthetic? The have Mobil 1 0W/40 or Mobil 1 15W/50. Castrol RS do a 0W/40 fully synthetic. In non synthetic I've seen 10W/30 but not in the synthetic.

Roadrunner
05-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Oil with a viscosity as low as 0W is not recommended for turbo engines. Subaru put out a technical bulletin to their dealers telling them not to use it some years ago. Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50 would be fine. I use Shell Helix Ultra which, I think, is 5W/40. Definitely use fully synthetic.

pjjohnson
09-06-2003, 11:27 AM
For our ambient temperatures the service manual says 10/30 - but I don't know if its specs fully synthetic or not 'cos that bits in Japanese !

Ralliart used to use part synthetic, then changed to fully synthetic Castrol RS, 10/60 I think it was.

Roadrunner
09-06-2003, 03:55 PM
I would only ever use fully synthetic in a turbo'd engine.

pjjohnson
09-06-2003, 05:29 PM
I agree, when part synthetic was put in by Mitsubishi Ralliart, I requested that they take it out immediatley and replace it with fully synthetic, which they did without charge.

Spirit
09-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Yep - fully synthetic for sure - never compromise for the sake of a few £'s

Pete

haydar
09-06-2003, 06:20 PM
It's extremely difficult to get hold of fully synthetic 10W/30. I've only found one company that makes it, Redline. Interestingly when I did a quick search for Redline, I found a site in America that belonged to a Mitsubishi GTO club, and it was the oil they were all recommending!

Apparently, the best multigrade oils are those with the smallest gap in between the two numbers INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie. 10W/30 is better than 0W/40) since it has more similar molecules INSERT INTO post VALUES (and by that I think they are talking about size of the molecule).

I've ordered the oil and I'll let everyone know what I think?

Regards

Roadrunner
09-06-2003, 08:07 PM
From Shell's website:

Shell Helix Ultra
The ultimate protection for performance motoring
Shell Helix Ultra is a premium grade, fully synthetic engine oil scientifically formulated to provide the ultimate engine protection for prestige and high performance vehicles.

Founded on Shell technology and Formula 1 racetrack experience over many years, Shell Helix Ultra has been tried, tested and proven even under the most extreme driving conditions.

Shell Helix Ultra exceeds the requirements of all major car manufacturers and industry standards API SL and ACEA A3/B3/B4-98.

Performance features:
Extensively tested and proven by Shell technologists and at F1 racetracks worldwide
Catalyst and turbo compatible, exceeds industry standards
Low viscosity, rapid oil flow and low friction effectively contribute towards lowering fuel consumption
Outstanding engine cleanliness
Extremely low chlorine content, meeting environmental requirements
Approved by Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Rover, Saab, Peugeot-Citroen, Rover and VW

If it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for me .... :)

Brian

Zeke
27-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Can someone tell me what is the right OIL FILTER I should be using for a VR4-Type S 1997?

A part # or link would be very helpful,

Thanks!

Trow
28-12-2004, 01:19 AM
From Shell's website:

Shell Helix Ultra
The ultimate protection for performance motoring
Shell Helix Ultra is a premium grade, fully synthetic engine oil scientifically formulated to provide the ultimate engine protection for prestige and high performance vehicles......

Geeze H.7, do you by any chance work for Shell? :)

ThEbIrDmAn13
28-12-2004, 02:32 AM
well, personally I use only THE best oil you can buy... I don't know if you get it over there, but it's called Royal Purple and I use 5W-30 which is recommended in the manual. but go here (http://www.royalpurple.com) to see the oil and what it's like...Awesome product, but very expensive...I also use a K&N oil filter, so when I change my oil it's costs me around $50 US...and oh yeah, the oil is cool because it really is purple!! lol :rolleyes5

Roadrunner
28-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Geeze H.7, do you by any chance work for Shell? :)
Hehe, no :p (info taken from their website) and I now use Castrol RS ;)

jalford
28-12-2004, 08:35 PM
well, personally I use only THE best oil you can buy... I don't know if you get it over there, but it's called Royal Purple and I use 5W-30 which is recommended in the manual. but go here (http://www.royalpurple.com) to see the oil and what it's like...Awesome product, but very expensive...I also use a K&N oil filter, so when I change my oil it's costs me around $50 US...and oh yeah, the oil is cool because it really is purple!! lol :rolleyes5
They have UK site (http://www.royalpurple.co.uk). Not as slick as the US site but does list some stockists in the UK.