PDA

View Full Version : 1 week to the day of ownership & I've broke it :-( only 1 gear

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Ok i was having a play with a 09 plate beemer, then all of a sudden the gear selector went all weird, i had no drive, managed to get it into 3rd, but now only have 3rd!...

cat get to neutral!, or any other gear!

HELP!:end:

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Are we talking manual or Tip? Just read your profile.

It is more than likely the cables connecting the gear lever to the box. if you remove the gear stick cover youl see the cables attached to the stick and will be able to check that they are attached and moving or not. From there you can then look at the box itself and see if there is still tension in the cables, get someone to wiggle the stick and see if anything happens on the selectors on the box.

I take it the stick still moves about a bit? more in one direction that the other?

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Manual

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Manual

Yeah, just realised that when i read your profile so edited the post above

aboo
22-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I dont Now much but may it be the Gear selectors.

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I'd be shocked if it is the selector forks. It is a possibility, but id definately start with the cables.... For one you dont need to remove the box to check them.

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 07:15 PM
yeah i was hoping it was just the selector.

but cant see anything in the cabin that broken?

read a thread about rubbers? where are these and are they easy to check?

Thanks

Daz

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:18 PM
They are quite easy to check. Again, remove the cover to the gear lever, the whole plastic bit to allow complete access into the stick assembly. That is when youd be able to see what the cables are doing and check the attatchment of the assembly to the body, via these rubbers.

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Normally the issue is a torn rubber on the gearbox end of the cable. The outer part of the cable fits in a U shaped bracket that is mounted on rubbers. These rubbers fail and the outer cable moves excessively, so the inner doesn't move the selector arm properly.

It's quite a common failure.

is this a possibility? (posted by Nick Mann) in this thread -> http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40059

Thing is where am i looking for these rubbers? anybody have pics?

Nutter_John
22-05-2009, 07:25 PM
yes this is my thought Daz that the left mount has come lose , drill , glue and slef tap the thing back on

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah, it was like i said, bound to be a cable problem. If you strip all the induction bollocks away you'l be able to see where they attach to the box on top. To be perfectly methodical about it though, i would start in the cabin, irrespective of others failures. Its a much easier place to start. But it definately does sound like its just not letting you change gear. Ive had no internal box problems with mine, and it has certainly had some major abuse!

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:28 PM
yes this is my thought Daz that the left mount has come lose , drill , glue and slef tap the thing back on

Yes sir Captain Bodge it!

Nutter_John
22-05-2009, 07:30 PM
That bodge has lasted over 5 months now :D

Gowf
22-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Im not saying they dont, but for true strength you need a cable tie! You'd be amazed as to how much of a car can be made from them..... Or indeed how effective an engine mount can be when its made out of a plate of Aluminium, some bits of tree found on the floor and a small ratchet strap!

Anyway..... sorry thats a bit off topic.

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 07:50 PM
oh my god!...

right i`ve found a thred on ozvr4

I take it this is what i need to do...

to remove,

lift the tab out thats circled in yellow,

to fix,

drill and nut/bolt it together,

yellow = Bolt,
Blue = Lock Nut (nylock)

drill theu the brackets with a 7mm drill, both sides,

use a 6mm bolt and locknut combo, do them up so its back together, but leave them loose enough so there is some (tiny) play in the joint.

has to be a lock nut so it wont come undone.

Gowf
22-05-2009, 08:09 PM
That will sort it

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Looks like i have my sat all planned out!

aboo
22-05-2009, 08:37 PM
least you'v found the prob & be able to fix it.

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 09:20 PM
ok been out to the car (nice to still have daylight!).

I have removed the bracket (had to break 2nd linkage) i just cant get the horseshoe clips out?

if anybody has done it how did you get the clips?

i`m going to price up a new bracket tomorow, if to expensive i`ll just do the fix in both sides (which i was going to do anyway).

so any good idea on those horseshow clips..

P.S - I LOVE CVR4 :-) oh and OZVR4!

Nick Mann
22-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Those bolts look like they have large heads - too big and they'll foul the cable housing. But that's exactly the problem and exactly the solution. :D

m0rphs
22-05-2009, 10:46 PM
i`m going to attempt to get the horseshoe clips out in the morning,

then to fish brother mitsi, then if no joy HALFORDS!...

hopefully back on the road by dinnertime.

dickytim
23-05-2009, 12:09 AM

I had this happen, I managed to man handle mine into 3rd and drove home from town like that, it was on my birthday after owning the car for 2 months :)

it is an easy fix once you get all the turbo pipine and intake gear out of the way.

m0rphs
23-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I HAVE ALL GEARS BACK!!!!

Thanks to being a member of this forum, and the great advice. and the pics from ozvr4 i have fixed my car!

Here is a couple of pics of MY attempt at the bracket repair.

went for a blast and its like nothing ever went wrong, and this has all be a horrible dream.

If anybody wants and advice or motivation then pm me.. this realy is as easy as others say!

Pics..

peter thomson
23-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Good job. Glad to hear you're back on the road