PDA

View Full Version : ATF and tip gearbox shudder

-=white-zombie=-
24-05-2009, 11:18 AM
hey all, since ive had my car about a year ive had the dreaded trans shudder around 3000rpm in 4th/5th gear, i changed the ATF a few weeks ago as it was a bit dark and slighlty burnt smelling, not real bad though.. i did a full flush with TQ95, and it seems slightly better but still has the shudder a bit, is it because i didnt use SP3 oil? ive read a few posts were people have used TQ95 and it was all good, reason i used it was i got it cheap thru work....
should i try a sp3 flush now?? /juggle i dont wanna keep driving it with the shudder, only really does it up hills if you drive slowly in 4th/5th around 2-3000rpm, otherwise box is really tight and fast..

bradc
24-05-2009, 11:20 AM
That does sound similar to what the cars do when Dexron III is being used. I'd change it for the mitsi fluid and see if it fixes it.

Subaru ETA
24-05-2009, 11:24 AM
ryan uses TQ95 in his and i know for a fact that it is a very good oil. maybe the damage has been done

-=white-zombie=-
24-05-2009, 11:25 AM
i know, do a search on here for tq95 and see some workshops use the tq95 in our vr4s and some used it after a rebuild so surely its a good enough oil? im wondering if i have somthing else causing my shudder like engine mount or wheel bearing?

Subaru ETA
24-05-2009, 11:39 AM
cant really comment without actually experiencing it

bradc
25-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Yeah Ryan's car worked fine with it, but it did change nicer with Amsoil in the car.

I'd suggest Mitsi SP3 or Amsoil ATF as a final thing to try, if that doesn't work it is time for a manual gearbox conversion.

-=white-zombie=-
25-05-2009, 08:17 AM
ok found this synthetic ATF through my work (repco), SP3 compatible too! and about the same price as tq95 etc..

Penrite ATF MHP
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/automatic-transmission-oils/atf_mhp

looks good, i'll do a flush with this next week and see how it goes.. looks like good oil too

elnevio
25-05-2009, 08:24 AM
ok found this synthetic ATF through my work (repco), SP3 compatible too! and about the same price as tq95 etc..

Penrite ATF MHP
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/automatic-transmission-oils/atf_mhp

looks good, i'll do a flush with this next week and see how it goes.. looks like good oil too
Granted, it DOES say it is SP3 compatible. But it also says that it is semi-synthetic. Probably good enough for flushing, but I wouldn't like to give it any abuse - I expect it would break down quite easily.

-=white-zombie=-
25-05-2009, 08:35 AM
is mitsis BP Autran SP3 full synthetic? thats all the mitsi dealers over here sell.. i cant find any info on it on the net

elnevio
25-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I would have thought so - but don't know for sure.

But even Mitsi's SPIII doesn't last as well or take the abuse that Amsoil's ATF can (which is definitely fully synthetic).

bradc
25-05-2009, 10:08 AM
BP actually make the oils for Mitsi, so it is probably the same stuff. I'd really recommend you go with either BP SP3, Mitsi SP3 or whatever the dealership sells.

It is cheaper than Amsoil and should still fix your shuddering. I wouldn't go with castrol or pennzoil because we don't know for sure how good they are.

vr4-fan
25-05-2009, 06:32 PM
hi dude , mi car was shudder too , happed the same problem you have , 4th to 5ta , with low rpm , and I change the oil for AMSOIL and dont shudder anymore , I now is to expensive , but fix the problem , tri I let me now , thanks buy 7 quarts

carlos-1975
25-05-2009, 06:42 PM
i also have a judder at low revs especially up hills maybe i to should change the atf but my speedo also drops to zero and it is not a regular occurance. hhhhhmmmm maybe that service should be sooner rarther than later
carl

vr4-fan
25-05-2009, 06:50 PM
and other think was I put a aditive to help me , revive de parts of gearbox , and dont shudder anymore , and the MPG get better

-=white-zombie=-
30-07-2009, 10:19 AM
just an update i changed to penrite atf sp3 oil and it made no difference to the shudder thing, i found out the shudder was actually the crank pulley bearing is worn and vibrates at that certain revs between 2000-3000rpm it will do it if your parked up and hold the revs at those points and you can feel the exact same vibration, so yeah check your drive belt pulleys, mine needs replacing you can wobble it a bit by hand..... i wonder how many others have this same prob thinking its the auto trans... my auto runs mint by the way was the same with either TQ95 and SP3 penrite atf...

vr4-fan
30-07-2009, 03:04 PM
you wrong , you may changed with amsoil , not panrite

elnevio
30-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, if the Penrite meets SP-III specifications, then it will be fine!

vr4-fan
30-07-2009, 08:26 PM
well , I dont understand but something that help me with the shudder was the RACING FUEL 109 OCTANE , WITH TOLUENO , that help me , the car now dont shuddder , and I need to change the torque converter oil yet , I dont understand that , but now dont shudder , 3 days ago yeah ,

Ryan
30-07-2009, 10:12 PM
:uhoh:

vr4-fan
31-07-2009, 02:47 AM
:uhoh:

x2 !!!

Subaru ETA
01-08-2009, 02:44 AM
well , I dont understand

now theres a shock.... :givemebee

Davezj
01-08-2009, 08:39 AM
just an update i changed to penrite atf sp3 oil and it made no difference to the shudder thing, i found out the shudder was actually the crank pulley bearing is worn and vibrates at that certain revs between 2000-3000rpm it will do it if your parked up and hold the revs at those points and you can feel the exact same vibration, so yeah check your drive belt pulleys, mine needs replacing you can wobble it a bit by hand..... i wonder how many others have this same prob thinking its the auto trans... my auto runs mint by the way was the same with either TQ95 and SP3 penrite atf...

can you clarify which pulley you are talking about, you say the crank pulley bearing, that too me sound like to me you mean the crank bearing itself. as the crank pulley does not have a bearing it just slide on to the end of the crank shaft with a keyway doesn't it. and do you mean the pulley that drives the alternator and power steering , or the cam belt pulley, both are on the crank but two completely diffenet things.
or do you mean one of the other cam belt pulleys.

please clarify!

Turbo_Steve
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
VR4fan, the fuel won't make any difference to the shudder unless you have a combustion problem.

If you have a combustion problem you have a serious problem:-
Need to check your plugs and coilpacks and HT leads first, and then start looking for more serious stuff.

-=white-zombie=-
02-08-2009, 08:22 AM
my bad its not the crank pulley then but the lowest pulley that the alt/power steer belt run on..

Davezj
02-08-2009, 09:54 AM
the alterator and power steering run on separate belts.

but i think i get what you mean. it is the lowest pulley on the engine.

So it is the power steering/AC idler pulley at the bottom. £60 ish to buy a new one.

mine rocks slightly from side to side when you wiggle it, but not much. there is a slight noise i have been trying to track down so i might as well change it for the spare (not new) i have and see if it makes any difference.

-=white-zombie=-
02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
yeah thats the pulley, mine doesnt have the undertray so maybe more dirt /moisture gets in to the bearing on the pulley..

vr4-fan
02-08-2009, 03:07 PM
the alterator and power steering run on separate belts.

but i think i get what you mean. it is the lowest pulley on the engine.

So it is the power steering/AC idler pulley at the bottom. £60 ish to buy a new one.

mine rocks slightly from side to side when you wiggle it, but not much. there is a slight noise i have been trying to track down so i might as well change it for the spare (not new) i have and see if it makes any difference.

for that pulley the car can shudder in 4th to 5th???? that dont have sens

vr4-fan
10-08-2009, 05:18 PM
one friend mine , pruve this and fix the shudder this aditive its very good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260354491971&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Davezj
10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
what you have to remember is all these cars are different and what makes one car shudder may not make the next car shudder, or one persons description of a shudder may not be the same as the next persons shudder. you have to delve a little deeper and try and find out what exactly is the issue. a little bit of softly softly catchy monkey, rather than both feet splosh.
well that is my approch, don't come to any conclusions until all the information is on the table and you have had a chance to poke and prod the facts and then come up with a resoned solution.

Turbo_Steve
11-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Indeed: I have "First Gear Shudder": when manuvering over certain surfaces, the car shakes, and the steering wheel feels like it will pull out of my hands.

Why?

The tension isn't right on the powersteering belts, and when the load is high, the belt slips when cold.

I know this isn't the problem here, but it's indicative of HOW you describe something affecting the diagnosis.

HOODY
22-11-2009, 10:27 AM
how do you overcome the shudder, do you floor it to automatically change down a gear?

HOODY
22-11-2009, 10:28 AM
or do you ease off?

bradc
22-11-2009, 07:07 PM
If it is the high gear shudder at low rpm problem you should simply select a lower gear. For the PS belt, just go to a different rpm and you should be ok.

chris g
23-11-2009, 10:39 AM
And another thread where vr4-fan posts about oil...

Managed to get Amsoil into his car at last it seems and then still mentions using additives......

Putting additives into the oil, the fuel or....?

And ready to join yet vr4-fan...?

HOODY
25-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I think I undertstand that....hmm

Subaru ETA
26-11-2009, 01:52 AM
And another thread where vr4-fan posts about oil...

Managed to get Amsoil into his car at last it seems and then still mentions using additives......

Putting additives into the oil, the fuel or....?

And ready to join yet vr4-fan...?

Dont worry - as he said, in november he will pay up.. so in less then a weeks time he will be a fully paid member /help