PDA

View Full Version : ATF level

carlos-1975
25-05-2009, 07:33 PM
it sounds silly and i have read through a few posts about flushing and so on but cannot find where to check the atf fluid level and also it was last changed 14k ago is this bad and at eurospec i have read a few posts about them so i am safe in the fact that they have used amosil or similar fully synthetic?
carl

Nick Mann
25-05-2009, 07:36 PM
The top of the dipstick is visible just to the side of the battery.

carlos-1975
25-05-2009, 07:37 PM
ahh nick i am lead to belive you are a local vr4 guru. back to the subject the fluid looks nice red colour so i assume it is in good orderbut there seems to be a lot over the hot level and the car is cold is this bad?
carl

Wodjno
25-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Yup Nicks your man around your area /yes

When your checking the oil level ! Is the car on level ground ?

And yes if it's high on the stick when it's cold, it has to much in .. Not easy to ensure the reading on the stick is correct though as normally you get the oil thats in the dipstick tube finding it's way onto the dipstick also. :(

bradc
25-05-2009, 08:48 PM
If it was done at Eurospec 14k miles ago you don't have much to worry about, other than keeping an eye on the fluid to make sure it is red and that it isn't leaking out via the torque converter seal or any other place.

carlos-1975
25-05-2009, 08:53 PM
its red and maybe a little high but gonna get it up to temp tomorrow and check again i am just worried about the shudder?

Nick Mann
25-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Nope. Don't check it while it is cold! Drive round the block, as many gear as possible, stop on level ground, put it in N and leave the engine running. Check.

;)

Nick Mann
25-05-2009, 09:05 PM
If you want to pop down for a chat and a cuppa, let me know!

bradc
25-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Ohh right, I didn't realise that you were the same person that had posted about shuddering in that other thread.

It shouldn't be shuddering if the right gearbox oil has been used. Perhaps give the guys a call and confirm they used Amsoil (I'm sure they would have)

carlos-1975
25-05-2009, 09:21 PM
top man nick i am off on holiday next week so i will pm you when i am back to pop down and have a chat if your ok with that. yeah brad i did post on the other thread but thought i had better start my own as i hate jumping on other peoples threads

bradc
25-05-2009, 09:24 PM
It was just that you didn't mention the shuddering at all in your original post! Have you tried resetting the ecu to see if that makes a difference? It is doubtful that it will, but it is probably worth the effort.

carlos-1975
25-05-2009, 09:39 PM
no i havnt reset the ecu yet maybe thats my next step i am gonna do a fault code read tomorrow see if that shows anything its the speedo droping to zero when it shudders that puzzles me a little more?

Wodjno
25-05-2009, 09:44 PM
its the speedo droping to zero when it shudders that puzzles me a little more?

Wouldn't that be a faulty speed sensor ?

Maybe loose connection or moisture getting into it ?

Subaru ETA
25-05-2009, 10:42 PM
i agree with wodj

carlos-1975
26-05-2009, 07:51 AM
would a speed sesonr cause the wobble ?
so i will call eurospec today as they also fitted the speed sensor at the same time as the service so i can ask where the speed sensor is. also whoever managed to change my thread title thank you

elnevio
26-05-2009, 07:55 AM
would a speed sesonr cause the wobble ?
so i will call eurospec today as they also fitted the speed sensor at the same time as the service so i can ask where the speed sensor is. also whoever managed to change my thread title thank you
I think you're thinking of the speedo convertor, but it is still something worth eliminating for the speedo issue. The speed sensor is related to the gearbox (or wherever it is located!) and tells the car what speed it's doing. :)