PDA

View Full Version : Lead in the doors

andyleaves
26-05-2009, 08:18 PM
OK maybe you guys know...
What's this about lead in the doors as part of the sound proofing?
Can anyone let me know if this is correct?

Basically I want to lighten the car.
Any ideas what I could strip out?

bradc
26-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Where exactly do you think this lead is?

miller
26-05-2009, 11:43 PM
you sure you dont mean LED's ?!?!?

Atik
27-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I dont remember seeing any lead in the doors when I stripped mine out a while back. But I do have LEDs in them connected to the door-open light.

Maybe you are talking about some sound-proofing material? Some people fit sound-proofing material in the doors to reduce noise levels both going out of the car (from ICE installs) and coming in (road noise etc). I guess, some of the materials could be lead based? Or have a 'lead' sounding name?

Kenneth
27-05-2009, 12:35 AM
I believe a lot of the door weight is due to the side intrusion protection.

You could remove it, but it would require major modification.
Besides that, it would potentially be un-safe in an accident. From personal experience (and what I have seen on the forums) I would not remove the side intrusion protection without first having a roll cage.

You could essentially gut the doors and have it so you can't wind the window up or down... however that isn't really very practical for a daily drive.

wintertidenz
27-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Most people that put sound systems in their car don't use lead - it would be Dynamat which should be recognizable from the logos all over it.

It's not really that heavy if it is proper Dynamat, but if you want to strip it be prepared to spend hours with a paint stripper or hairdryer, and a LOT of solvent to get rid of the sticky gunk that's left over when it's pulled off. It's nasty stuff to remove.

andyleaves
27-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Nah it was lead he stated. Just wanted to check that out before launching on what could be a massive job.
You guys have saved me a lot of trouble.
Cheers

ianturbo
27-05-2009, 08:35 PM
do you not mean the sound proofin stuff that is stuck to the inside of the doors to stop rattlein ??/Hmmm
ian

andyleaves
27-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I was told that the doors were lead lined...
I thought it sounded a bit strange, so i thought that I would chec it out first

waxer
28-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I was told that the doors were lead lined...
I thought it sounded a bit strange, so i thought that I would chec it out first

Someone was pulling your plonker- there's never been a car with lead-lined doors, unless they buried Rock Hudson in one.