PDA

View Full Version : auto fluid levels

Simon
25-04-2004, 11:17 PM
i need to top up some automatic transmission fluid as its down a bit and today got a little jolt putting it into reverse .....is it possoble to over fill the fluid in the transmission? when to stop?

Kieran
25-04-2004, 11:20 PM
i need to top up some automatic transmission fluid as its down a bit and today got a little jolt putting it into reverse .....is it possoble to over fill the fluid in the transmission? when to stop?

If you use the ATF dipstick and the procedure for checking it outlined in the owner's manual you'll be ok. Don't just pour in and check with the engine off. I think the car has to run in neutral, to allow any extra fluid to be pumped into the torque convertor. It's all in the owner's manual, anyway!

SGHOM
25-04-2004, 11:30 PM
yes it is possible to overfill it Simon !!
your gearbox level stick has 2 markings on it. hot, & cold. IMHO it's best to check it when the box is up to temperature. make sure the engine is fully warmed up, then, when parked up, go through the gears from P to D, several times.
switch off engine, & then check level. ATF fluid is quite thin, so it's not always easy to see the level.

HTH