PDA

View Full Version : 'Vrrrr vrrrr' sound coming from my steering wheel

HMG1K
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I've just that sound coming from my steering wheel - a 'verrrrrrr... verrrrrr' - when I turn the steering wheel whilst stopped, slow moving, or upto about 20mph. After that I think the road noise is drowning the sound out.

The sound is best described as the car being on a shiny floor surface and you move the steering wheel and you hear a 'verrrrr verrrr' sound coming from the rubber turning on the floor outside, except this sound is quieter and comes from, it seems, between the back of the steering wheel and where it joins onto the dashboard.

Is this something to worry about? Is it something simple? :dizzy2:

Thank you :sunny:

miller
03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I think its common, well at least i hope its common as mine does it sometimes. Its as if the steering wheel is rubbing against its support colum, making a grindy whirry sound!

Anyone else get it? Turn your stereo off and have a listen next time. switch engine on and put a full lock on...

Mike

AlanDITD
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah mine does it when things get hot in the cabin, i think its just the cable reel at the back spinning.

Had a few cars that do it, it reminds me of the noise the arcade steering wheels make you can get dor the PS3.

HMG1K
03-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Mike and Alan - spot on !!!!!

So, it's normal? It's been doing it for quite a few months. The squeeze was out for a drive with me last night and she heard it and said it didn't sound good, it then got me panicing!

As long as I'm not ruining my steering rack or anything like that, I can live with it.

HMG1K
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
UPDATE: 24 hours on and the sound has vanished!

Infact 8 hours after posting this, I got in my car to go home and the sound had vanished!

miller
04-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Heat i find is the main cause like Alan said above..

AlanDITD
04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah my od preludes used to do it to, i wouldnt be to concerned. Im not sure if they have cable reels im assumingall cars do.

You will know when you have a problem as the dash will ight up like an xmas tree, the means the cable in the reel has snapped.

dimi108
10-06-2009, 03:29 AM
This sounds like what happened to me the other night during a good 300 kilometre straight highway run.
About 200 kilometres into the run, i pulled into a McDonalds drive-thru and while I was idling in [D]rive I heard this vibration "brrrrrrrrrrrr" noise which seemed to dissapear as i played and turned the steering wheel.
The noise was not there when the car was at speed, though.

So far, the sound hasn't come back (i'm guessing because i've only been using the car for short 30 to 40 kilometre trips during the last few days)

Is this what's happening with yours, too?

scott.mohekey
10-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I've always thought this sound was the from power steering?

AndyD
10-06-2009, 07:44 AM
I've always thought this sound was the from power steering?

Yeah, I thought so too. I get this when I put the wheel on full lock.

HMG1K
10-06-2009, 09:02 AM
This sounds like what happened to me the other night during a good 300 kilometre straight highway run.
About 200 kilometres into the run, i pulled into a McDonalds drive-thru and while I was idling in [D]rive I heard this vibration "brrrrrrrrrrrr" noise which seemed to dissapear as i played and turned the steering wheel.
The noise was not there when the car was at speed, though.

So far, the sound hasn't come back (i'm guessing because i've only been using the car for short 30 to 40 kilometre trips during the last few days)

Is this what's happening with yours, too?

I can't hear it at speeds of around 15-20 MPH - maybe because of road noise?

Like the other folk have said - it seems to happen when its hot / warm in the cabin. It's not happening at the moment but was last week.

dimi108
10-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah same. It happened when i was running the heater on 32.0 for over two hours.

HMG1K
10-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Yeah same. It happened when i was running the heater on 32.0 for over two hours.

Hehehe! You're like me - the display very rarely reads below 32c ! /Fever