PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil leak

thugbulletproof
08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
hi i'm new to this site i hav just purchased a mitsu galant 2.5 v6 triptronic sport
but i hav noticed that it has an oil leak coming out from around the cambelt side of the engine,, is this a common problem on these cars cos i've had a carisma before this and that had an oil leak too.. help ?????????

elnevio
08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
/Welcome

Definitely engine oil?

Could be a number of things - sump plug, sump gasket, oil pump (maybe? not sure on this location), but my best bet would be one of the rocker covers, and the oil is dribbling down the side of the engine block. If so, then it may just be a case of retorquing the rocker cover bolts, or changing the rocker gasket.

PaddyB
08-06-2009, 11:06 PM
/Welcome2

Could be the crank seal - heard of a couple of Galants with this. The only way to be sure is to take the cambelt covers off. If it's that (or the rocker covers) the oil will be pooling on top of the sump & dripping off. if its the sump plug/gasket then this won't be the case - drip straight on to the floor.

Maybe post some pics. Whereabouts are you ??

Davezj
09-06-2009, 12:45 AM
i have an oil leak which i know is the crank oil seal.

good diagnosis tool is a can of carb cleaner, spray all the area where the oil is and this will disolve and dispers all the oil then keep a close eye on where you think the leak is. this give a much better way to see where the oil is actually coming from.

How ever the carb cleaner can actually stop the leak by drying out the leaking seal so well it actually saels itself. I can do this with the crank oil sealon my car but if i really give it a thrash then it starts to leak again. which not very good in the VR4 as the hole point of having a VR4 is to give it a thrash every now and then.

but seriuosly it is a very good way to find exactly where the leak is coming from.

thugbulletproof
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
hey thanks for all the help guys!!! i just wish i checked the car properly before i bought it but never mind lsson learned....
i'm from birmingham u.k..
i'll put some pics up soon!

aboo
09-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Welcome & hope its an easy sort