PDA

View Full Version : Another TC seal suspect....

Jerry Shaw
14-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi folks, after a bit of digging around, I suspect my torque converter seal has gone.

I noticed it as I changed the oil yesterday, a drip coming from the bell housing plate.

I didn't get alot of time to inspect further as it was later in the day, but if I find that it has gone, how long is a replacement likely to last?

After reading the other threads on this, I cant afford for a garage to do it and don't really fancy having to do it more than once.

I don't plan on keeping it a great deal longer, but just can't afford another car at this time.

Thanks folks.

Nick Mann
14-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I haven't heard of the issue on a FWD car, but I guess there is no reason why it can't.

On a VR4, the procedure needs approx 12 man hours. Obviously this is a lot longer if you have never done the job before. Yours does not need the propshaft or transfer box removing, or turbo pipework and you should have a lot more space to work in round the bellhousing, so the job will be much shorter.

Keep an eye on your atf level - if the leak is very small, then there is no big issue with putting it off for a couple of weeks and planning the job.

bradc
14-06-2009, 08:44 AM
The replacements are a slightly different design and should last for a very long time.

If you don't want to do the work immediately then you should keep a careful eye on fluid levels and keep it topped up. The boxes are VERY sensitive to oil level

Jerry Shaw
14-06-2009, 10:04 AM
After a look this morning, I'm not so sure it's GB fluid.

I took some pictures but don't know how to post them. I wiped oil from the following places.

Side of engine sump next to GB cover plate.
Front to rear cross member.
Seam of GB on nearside of crossmember.

And there's was a drip forming on the GB casing under the offside driveshaft.

It doesn't smell like ATF, and apart from being black, presumably dirt, it has a brown appearance. The ATF was halfway between the two cold marks yesterday, although the temp wouldn't have been high enough for a hot measurement, so I topped it up to the upper cold mark to be on the safe side.

As it has no turbo, I can't see any other pipe that maybe leaking from above and it all looks dirty but not oily.

Oh, just to add, if the TC seal had gone, would I see evidence of oil running down the flywheel? I ask as its dry, and doesn't look like its had oil on at all.

Thanks for the replies though.

Nick Mann
14-06-2009, 10:39 AM
The air turbulence under there moves it around a bit. And the dirty appearance with brown colouring sounds the same as previous issues I have seen.

I don't think you will see any evidence on the flywheel, it spins so fast that not much will stay on it!

richy rich
14-06-2009, 10:39 AM
After a look this morning, I'm not so sure it's GB fluid.

I took some pictures but don't know how to post them. I wiped oil from the following places.

Side of engine sump next to GB cover plate.
Front to rear cross member.
Seam of GB on nearside of crossmember.

And there's was a drip forming on the GB casing under the offside driveshaft.

It doesn't smell like ATF, and apart from being black, presumably dirt, it has a brown appearance. The ATF was halfway between the two cold marks yesterday, although the temp wouldn't have been high enough for a hot measurement, so I topped it up to the upper cold mark to be on the safe side.

As it has no turbo, I can't see any other pipe that maybe leaking from above and it all looks dirty but not oily.

Oh, just to add, if the TC seal had gone, would I see evidence of oil running down the flywheel? I ask as its dry, and doesn't look like its had oil on at all.

Thanks for the replies though.
From you description sounds very much like TC seal gone.
Atf goes brown over time.
The atf will not look like it has been on the FW as it will be thrown off.

Jerry Shaw
14-06-2009, 11:02 AM
:sick: :sick: :sick:

Bugger, and there I was, hoping it would be something else.

Well, unless it costs £0.00p to fix, lol it's not getting done.

Ok, so now the crunch question. I know it's not going to get any better, but how fast is it likely to get worse?

I have some agency work that I can't afford to turn down, and mum is hospital so, although I could use the other half's car, how risky is it to use.

Bearing in mind, at the minute its leaving patches on the floor.

Nick Mann
14-06-2009, 11:06 AM
SGHOM ran a VR4 for months with quite a good leak. He was putting ATF in it like petrol by the time he did the seal, IIRC.

There is always a risk - too little fluid and the gear changes will become lumpy, putting a strain on the box. The fluid will get hot, putting a strain on the T/C etc.

If the leak is slow and you keep the fluid topped to the right level, then the risk is very low.

PaddyB
14-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I would advise caution - I had a small leak from my water pump (different part but it's the same principle) that became a very big leak very suddenly. It went from needing a litre every other week (for about 3 months) to lookiing like a hydrant had burst on my driveway when I move it one day - the change was pretty instantaneous. If you intend to drive about with it watch it like a hawk & carry ATF.

Good luck with it.

Jerry Shaw
14-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok folks, many thanks.

Looks like I'm going to be selling it. I know its a bit crappy passing a problem on, but I just cant afford to sort it out.

Shame really, cos it's a very nice car. It's got a knocking that needs finding and a power steering leak too, but other than that, its very nice.

Jerry Shaw
15-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Right, I have found somebody that may be willing to have a go, either on thier own or to help me.

They are reluctant to full remove the gearbox and have asked if it's possible to do by splitting the box / engine and turning it to gain access?

I see the point in the question as it would take away the need to undo everything from it. I just couldnt answer him, so over to you guys once again.

Nutter_John
15-06-2009, 05:51 PM
drop the box and pull out the tc ,. then change the seal , re-fit tc and re-fit box

not enough room to do it withouit dropping the box down

Jerry Shaw
18-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, thats that. I rang 3 garages near me and 2 of them wouldn't take it on and the other quoted £500 - more than the car would really be worth.

Any suggestions on what do do next as I really don't have a clue, and its quite depressing.

bradc
18-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Half of the people that have replied to this, Nick, John and Richy will be able to help you out. Are you close to any of them?

Jerry Shaw
18-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Half of the people that have replied to this, Nick, John and Richy will be able to help you out. Are you close to any of them?

No, not really. The main problem is going to be getting it anywhere as I dont have access to a car transporter.