PDA

View Full Version : Me V6

andyleaves
15-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Ok wanting some input here...
As most of you know I have a pretty standard v6 (for the time being)
Now without going turbo, (I have a really bad habit of killing them), is there any way and how do I get my motor to top this -

www.taffy-racing.com/4.html (http://www.taffy-racing.com/4.html)

He just swap his jap import STI classic for this, its been boy racerd has the sparking flame exhaust kit thing (OK it looks like fun)

Not fused about the sound / interior specs, just fed up with him saying that Galants are cars for old men...

Now apparently he's putting out @ 195 at the flywheel... its not mapped or anything...

Form what I can tell, mine should be putting out @ 161 bhp from where I have no idea probably at the fly wheel, but I cant get it checked as no one seems to run a test for a full auto...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated..

Ghost_2008
15-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Change of subject but are you based in East London???? If you are we keep seeing each other, I drive the white Legnum Vr4............

Back on subject, what have you tried or done already?

Better air filter, exhaust should see 10-20bhp increase......... You could mount an air intake at the front of the vehicle if you get it right you could get larger gains......... also how much are you willing to spend and what direction do you want to take it. But essentially the 2.5 v6 should be good for 200bhp + with a bit of work.......

bradc
15-06-2009, 09:00 PM
If you rev it out to 7500rpm or so and install some more aggressive cams on it along with a free flowing exhaust system, 220hp should be easily possible

Johnny_Cashed
15-06-2009, 09:17 PM
how do I get my motor to top this

1) Sell Galant
2) Buy Evo
3) ?????
4) Profit!!!

Turbo_Steve
15-06-2009, 09:57 PM
NOS!!!! :D :D :D Cheapest bang for buck will be NOS if you wish to silence him. And he need never know.

Alternatively, you could go for exhaust, airfilter, cams and maybe see 200bhp maybe a touch more on a cold day.

IF you raise the RPMS for special cams, do NOT go too high!!! Valve bounce can be a killer, and these are not the shortest stroke engines in the world: at 7500rpms the piston crown will be moving pretty quickly inside the bore, and it's a heavy piston.

Your best bet for NA tune would be to remove the heads and port them, go for lighter valves and wild cams. It'll ruin the car for normal driving, though, and you will need to look at raising the rev limit yet further to get that peak bhp.
Even then, you're chasing numbers: he has 4WD for better traction off the line, and a turbo, which means more area under the curve for better acceleration.
Your best bet is NOS, or a VR4 transplant. Or a Vr4 and boost controller which will wipe any grin off his face very quickly.

You could do a 75bhp shot of NOS for £600 or so, which is cheaper than any other two mods, and far more effective.
If you feel like gambling, you could risk a 150bhp shot of NOS.

This has the added advantage that you leave it switched off normally, and retain your sensible car.

If you only want to beat him the once, you could just put a NOS canister under the bonnet firing into the air inlet, some race fuel in the tank and go for it. Just be very careful on the throttle to avoid crunching.

300bhp for £100. Just don't do it more than once :D :D :D

andyleaves
15-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Yep Ghost that'd be me, will have to pull over some time and actually meet up...
When we pass each other, I'm taking my boy to karate, here Location of Karate club (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=538911&Y=189620&A=Y&Z=110) Thursday night between 18.00 & 19.30. pop round we can have a real mini meet... Actually you might be able to give me a few more pointers

But in general we're looking at uprated exhaust, air filter with cold air feed, fast road cams...

And then some Nos.
Steve, not sure why i would want a boost controller on a NA motor, or am I missing somthing!

Turbo_Steve
16-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Or a Vr4 and boost controller

To go with the VR4. Even a mildly tweaked WRX is going to give a VR4 a run for it's money, which is why you need to achieve so much with the Galant if you want to give him a hard time.

To be honest, I'd just go for the NOS unless you want the power everyday.

Adding all those bits (exhaust, cams etc) is going to massively change the cars behaviour, and probably ruin it's daily drive-ability.

andyleaves
16-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Actually thinking about, swapping mine for a vr-leggy anyway now, just not sure about using that sort of motor as an everyday car...
Missues cant drive, well she was stop at the age of 15 doing 130mph on the a2, to make matters worse, the bike she had at the time was stolen... Doh!!!
And I cant really afford to run two cars...

Turbo_Steve
16-06-2009, 11:51 AM
When you say VR-leggy do you mean a VR4, a VR-M or a VR-G?
I assume a VR4? :) In which case, it's a perfectly brilliant everyday car as long as you use it hard once a week, and you can live with the frightening running costs. Budget carefully.

andyleaves
16-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Would have to be a 4 after all that I am reading however, taking into account I'll do 300 + miles a week even in my v6 thats a full tank every week.

What sort of mileage do you get out of a vr4 leggy?

Now you see once I get F*cking CarCraft of my back (Feb hopefully) I'll be a about £200 better of a month.
DONT USE CARCRAFT christ their apr is high

Turbo_Steve
16-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Andy, you will need to do a search on cost of ownership. It isn't cheap: you're officially meant to service the car every 5000 miles or so.

At 300miles a week, I would say you should be comfortably budgeting 3 tanks of fuel a month, and it HAS to be 97RON and you get better mileage on V-Power....they really don't like 95Ron. And if you put your right foot down, you may wonder if the tank has a leak. These cars are setup thirsty. A remap would help massively....but nobody has really quite got the hang of that yet.

Add to this an oil change with amsoil every..ohh...8000miles or so if you're not tracking it, and brake pads an everything else.....

Ghost_2008
16-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I run the Leggie purely in Waltham Forest for work, so town driving, few fast roads but usually moving, not much traffic. I will cover about 150 mile per week and I put in about £40 per week. I have however driven motorways from London to Summerset on one tank. If you drive it mainly before the turbo kicks in and take it easy you can get good (Good meaning reasonable) milage. But my main concern would be the service intervals, can be cheap (again relatively) if your happy to do the work yourself. But my major service I was not comfortable doing myself and went to Ben at Eurospec and that cost about £1000.

All in all an early VR4 Leggie would be a lot more fun, especially if you want to beat the Scooby crowd, still in the £185 tax bracket for road fund, very reasonable price to start with and as the Legnum is a family car cheaper thamn a lot on insurance also.

If you would like to look at a Leggy mine is about, also there is another for sale just off Hale End Road by the mini round about.

andyleaves
16-06-2009, 09:28 PM
So really not that ncuh more than i am covering now then, right raid the penny jar, and wait till feb, sounds like leggy vr4 coming my way I hope...

Now to talk to the misses!!! Gonna be interesting :)

Ah Just one thought, considering my very heavy right foot, and turbo's anyone know of a company who has a steady stream of turbos for these things?

Turbo_Steve
16-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Nope. And frankly a heavy right foot won't kill the turbos, abuse will.

Ghost_2008
16-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Better off learning to control the right foot I think! I guess if you keep launching the vehicle or want to push it all the time, then it would probably be in your best interest to get a manual. But remember with nearly 300 bhp you don't need to drive it like you stole it all the time.

I had a Honda vtec before this and my petrol consumption hasn't change much, but I have changed the way I drive a hell of a lot, simply because if I still drove the vr4 in the same way I would be doing 200 mph all the time.

Back on subject, it sounds like your trying to punch above you wieght, if you want something to challenge that scooby, buy a vr4. In the long term it will be money better spent. But make sure you can afford it before you buy it, you should be able to find running costs on here.

Stevo
17-06-2009, 08:10 AM
ummmmmmmm whats the factory rev limit on the pre facelift N/A v6?? mines doing 9000??????? kinda worried now lol

Turbo_Steve
17-06-2009, 08:52 AM
9000rpms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

In fact, have some more exclamation marks!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's high for ANY V6, even one especially designed to rev....for a relatively lazy 6a13 I am totally amazed it hasn't bent something....

By my reckoning at 9000rpms, your 80.8mm stroke means the piston crown is traveling up AND down approximately 50 times a second (twice per revolution).
That means the piston crown is doing about 8cm per second, or accelerating betwen -40mph and 40mph (a differential of 80mph!!) 100 times per second!

andyleaves
17-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Guys the last one was a Joke, about killing turbos!!!
Come on. :)

bradc
17-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Stevo - the stock dash only goes up to 8000rpm with a redline marked at 6500rpm, how do you know you're going to 9k?

Stevo
17-06-2009, 11:19 AM
jus a sec i will check, i have a hiv vis VR-4 dash in it and the needle goes up to the end of the redline I.E to the highest number when revving and when flat foot driving it doesnt change till that point, i never checked before i changed the cluster

Stevo
17-06-2009, 11:21 AM
nope deff 9000

just checked

bradc
17-06-2009, 11:29 AM
So the redline starts at 7000rpm, but the car doesn't change up until 9000rpm? What speed do you get up to in 1st and 2nd gear? What rpm are you at when cruising at 100kmh in 4th?

Stevo
17-06-2009, 11:36 AM
i dont know the cars not quite driveable yet, these are observations i have made in stationary revving untill bouncing off the redline and a quick blast down the street where i got into 2nd gear and doing just on 100kmh.

idle is still 600 tho if that helps

bradc
17-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Let us know when you get it fully driveable. The only thing I can think of is that the tacho is incorrect.

Stevo
17-06-2009, 11:51 AM
thats what im thinking, it jumps and stutters when the engine is idleing and when revving down, its smooth when revving up but it jumps up then glides back down the rest of the ti

the car HAS to be driveable soon, our other cars got written off in the past 2 days, effin hit and runners and dodgy altinators im still spewing about that lol

Ryan
17-06-2009, 11:56 AM
If it was really at 9000 there would really be no mistaking that sound.

Stevo
17-06-2009, 11:58 AM
its deff makn a beautiful screaming sound, iv never heard anything like it before and sounds like its revving up verry high

Ryan
17-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Record a vid and upload to YouTube maybe? Then we can start to diagnose?

Subaru ETA
18-06-2009, 01:22 AM
id say you have a bung tacho - you would have expolded by now otherwise.

back on topic - when my manual vr4 was standard it got better economy then my old v6 tiptronic. now it gets about the same and its running 16psi boost and putting down 185kw ATW

andyleaves
18-06-2009, 02:32 PM
The econo, sounds about right, If peeps think that 300 miles a week with 3-4 tanks a month is what it should take to fuel a vr4, then what the hell, I'm already paying that in my v6...