PDA

View Full Version : Extra spring on wastegate?

Davezj
16-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I have just been read some stuff about fitting some extra springs of the correct rating, to the wastegate mechanisum which will keep the wastegate shut for longer.

anyone ever tried this!

there is obviously more to it then this,but you get the gist.

the right spring will keep the wastegate close up until 12psi then let it open. well that the theory,

any thoughts.

Gowf
16-06-2009, 11:14 PM
There is no point in doing this unless you want to run big boost. You are far better having some form of controlibility from using an EBC. On my liner for instance, when i bought the bigger tub it came with a -51 actuator, which is set to about 1bar. This wasnt what i wanted as i didnt want to be hitting a bar constantly before any boost control was used.

BUT if your having problems with your wastegate opening prematurely then there is no harm in using an additional 'helper' spring to give back what the actuator has lost.

Used to be the way to tune RS turbos and the like, but personaly i think its a bit archaic and im not a fan

Davezj
16-06-2009, 11:47 PM
yes it does seem a bit barn door style. but after a RR Day my boost up to about 0.45bar up to 4000rpm then it climed to 0.55 at 5500rpm and then tailed off massively from 5500rpm the closer to 7000rpm.

i thought a helper spring (of the correct rate) as you put it woulds solve this issue and maintain it to 0.55 across the rev range.

or if i fitted a larger one the boost would always rise to a minimum value demanded by the helper spring.

is that about right.

however i think this is a bit impracticle as the front tubo wastegate is not very accessable compared to the rear.

Turbo_Steve
17-06-2009, 08:35 AM
To be honest, you're probably better off buying a proper adjustable actuator...or even just a new standard one.

Nick Mann
17-06-2009, 08:57 AM
A good EBC should hold the air lines shut before the solenoid starts activating, AFAIK? So you effectively get a pneumatic lock in the actuator lines - they can't really open much anyway? So an EBC completely negates the point of bigger actuator springs?

I have to say, it seems a bit like threading a needle when you aren't sure if you've picked up cotton, string or wool. I wouldn't do it!

lazarus79
17-06-2009, 10:39 PM
i bought a blitz ebc, and i would agree the solenoids that come with these kits can maintain boost pressure anyways. springs/adjustables etc on wastegates is usually old skool now

Davezj
17-06-2009, 11:16 PM
how much money was the blitz ebc, i would imagine it has a new school price tag as well. springs have and old school price tag.