PDA

View Full Version : Conversion help!!

tonez
18-06-2009, 10:16 AM
can anyone help me?
i have a 4g63t vr4 engine,ecu and wiring loom im putting in a 1991 1.8l sohc awd galant and the only problem ive come accros is changing the loom any tips on how to do that im cheap and dont want to pay thousands to the auto electritions ive already spoken to or is that the only way??????:3d:

Turbo_Steve
18-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Easiest way is going to be to use the entire loom from the engine back to the ECU. Then connect the rest of the car at the ECU end, which sounds like what you're planning.

Not sure what' s in your 1.8 SOHC Galant, (never seen one!) and I know what you're really after is wiring diagrams from both cars!!!

However, as you strip out the Galants existing loom, it should become apparent what is actually left to be connected.
Most of this is going to be ancillary stuff....RPM counter, possibly a line to the AC, maybe a clutch switch.

If you can't get a wiring diagram, I'd suggest it may actually be worth opening up the loom from the ECU connector along the back of the dash. It should make it a lot more obvious what most of the connections are for.

Not sure what the Vr4 ECU needs, but the Evo expects a speed signal, and an RPM signal from the tacho (it's cable driven) to function correctly, the usual bunch of earths and 12v lines (perm and switched) and I believe there is a gear switch and clutch switch in there too, though potentiall you could just keep those lines high to get it going: they're only there to smooth changes.

Do you have the original VR4 Engine's MAF too, as that will keep things a lot simpler? You'll need bits like MAP sensor, and a purge solenoid (or dummy load like a resistor) as well to get rid of that pesky Check engine light. You'll also need a boost solenoid, or dummy.
I'd make sure you get the Check engine light wired up early on, and find the diagnostics connector, so that the ECU can tell you what it thinks is missing.
Best place for error codes is most like www.lancerregister.com

Sorry I can't be more help, dude.

crazydriver81
18-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey dude!

Thats pretty much the same I did a couple of years ago to my E32A Galant.

What you need is:
- engine
- ecu
- speedo/rpm clocks
- loom of the engine bay
- loom from inside the car (saloon and hatchback have different looms!)

First thing is, disconnect all connectors in the engine bay and take out the engine. Then you have to take out the dash board and seats and carpet, as well as the trim parts from the baggage compartment (basically strip the inside of the car).

When you have done this, you see how to run the cables and then it is quite easy to replace them. No fear, you can manage that! Assembly is not so diffiult because of color coded connectors and relatively unique positios of connections. Additionally, the number of connectors is rather low on an Galant E3x.

cheers and good luck
Stefan

tonez
19-06-2009, 12:08 AM
thanks guys ill give it a try im already half done