PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a better option?

Jerry Shaw
21-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, I have had a TC seal go on my 2.0 GLS. I can't afford the quoted £500 to let the garage do it and I cant afford to sell / part exchange it for something else.

That leaves one option - to do it myself.

I know its not a major expense this way, but I have seen this on eBay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220434456693&_trksid=p2759.l1259

I know its £200, but I have a timing belt due soon and the engine doesnt seem to run very smooth anyway.

I have asked the seller what has been done in the way of restoration, and depending on the reply, would this possibly same me money overall?

Who knows, it may even turn out to be a ClubVR4 member, lol.

Nutter_John
21-06-2009, 06:25 PM
You may have asked a garage top do the TC for you but have you asked an member on here to do it !!!!!!!

You will still be looking at £200 to put the ned engine in , plus all the fuilds which will probably take it up to £500

Jerry Shaw
21-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Seriously, would the oils cost up to £300?

I'd do the swap myself. I'm prepared to do just the TC myself if I have to, it just looks very daunting and I'm afraid of busting something else, lol

EDIT: Just to add, I don't feel I could be cheeky enough to ask for some help on here. I don't know anyone. lol

Nutter_John
21-06-2009, 06:34 PM
all the oils to purchase so if ytou didn't use amsoil you probably could get them fo around £75

forget the other £225 as i assumed you would get a garage to do it

Your worrid about doing the job your self , whats the worse that can happen ??? you break it and you have to scrap it !!!!

Jerry Shaw
21-06-2009, 06:42 PM
lol, scrapping isnt an option at the minute my friend. To be honest I'd like a newer and more economical car, but I am out of work / agency and work has been very scarce.

I assume the seal is a straight forward job once the GB is out. Is it a bugger to get in right or the right way round?

Nutter_John
21-06-2009, 06:47 PM
never done the change on the v6 but I have done quite a few on the vr4

it is very easy to swap the seal , and as long as you watch the placement and direction of the bit your replacing you can not go wrong

when putting the TC back into the GB be careful to ensure it goes fully home as you will feck the oil pump if it is not centered

Jerry Shaw
21-06-2009, 06:49 PM
From what I have read, is that the rotating it until it drops in? I assume its got squared off sides to locate it in.

Nutter_John
21-06-2009, 06:51 PM
yep thats the baby

Jerry Shaw
21-06-2009, 06:56 PM
HA, nice one. I think the worse bit woould be all the stripping down to get it out. I'll see if that seller gets back to me, but it sounds like I might just be doing the GB. While I am on, is there anything obvious I should check for what sounds like leaking air? Its always done it, and to be honest I always thought it was the rotational sound of the alternator, but the other day, I noticed when I blip the throttle, there is like a dull thud / puff sound from somewhere around the intake manifold.

Is there a gasket or something on the intake that perishes easily or maybe even a vacuum pipe?

The Vee
24-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Not idling well and air noise - check all your vacuum pipes including the ones to the load sensor valve on the PAS.