PDA

View Full Version : Question re installing boost gauge

pagan
25-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi guys

I couldn't figure out from tutorial in resources about installing boost gauge which hose i need to cut. Could you please tell me what are the ones with numbers on a picture and if any of the is the one i'm looking for. Otherwise how can i find the correct hose?

pagan
25-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Also, one of the commets for boost gauge tutorial (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154) is this:

"The only change I would use is to tap off the back of the manifold rather than the intake pipe."

Could some one explain please what exactly it means? :)

Davezj
25-06-2009, 01:19 PM
there are lot and lots and lots of threads on here regarding the boost gauge, search is goo thing!

if you connect the boost gauge to a hose which comes off before the throttle body then you will be reading available boost. but if you conect in after the throttle body to the plenum chamber, you will be reading used boost, and used boost boost is most usful.

if you look at the plenum chamber there are 2 black hose coming fro the back face of the chamber the large one is brake servo assist, leave this one alone.
the second smaller black hose is the one you want for the boost gauge. put the Tee piece in line with this hose. personally i would add a short length of hose to the plenum side of the Tee piece and leave the black hose the same length. just in case you want to remove it at a later date.

by the way is hose 4 in the diagram blanked off as there should be no hoses open to atmosphere in the engine bay. either connected it back to where it is supposed to go or blank it off.

pagan
25-06-2009, 01:40 PM
do you mean this hose?
interesting, it is different to what was in this article:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154

Nick Mann
25-06-2009, 01:41 PM
The hose with the red end is the hose that goes off to the factory boost solenoid. Hose 4 as mentioned above is the re-circ pipe that should drop down to the flexible part of the intake pipe to the front turbo.

And what Dave said about the gauge.

pagan
25-06-2009, 01:42 PM
believe me i've searched it many times and read all i could find :) most of the times people are referred to this article in resources which is not completely clear for me

Nick Mann
25-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Heh! Sometimes it's not clear! Feel free to ask questions.

Your picture above is spot on for the gauge. Don't control from there - just monitor.

:D

pagan
28-06-2009, 04:37 AM
I've finally installed the gauge. I've updated this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=444900) with pics of alternative routing of the hose. Perhaps someone could add this to the article in resources as this to me sounds like a better way rather then making more unnecessary holes :) Also, if the second picture in this thread is added to the article it would make things easier for people. Comment about adding hose length rather then cutting existing ones (for gauge and for boost controller) was a great advice, i think it should go into the reference article as well.

So, at the moment max boost i could squeeze out of it without boost controller is 7psi spiking to 10psi occasionally.

pagan
28-06-2009, 04:50 AM
7psi is when i was really trying hard, normal boost was around 5-6psi.
Mine is preface lift auto one, so i guess this lowish boost is ok or not?

bradc
28-06-2009, 05:30 AM
around 7 psi is about right for a PFL Auto. The red tipped pipe, number 2 as per the pic is the one to tap into for a boost controller.

HOODY
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
wish I saw this thread before I cut the pipe yesterday. oops. :P After rain stopped play ill be back out there again today trying to figure out how to wire it in to the mirror wires.. anyone got any tips on that please :):):)

ersanalamin
02-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Guys, anyone has the boost solenoid + fuel pressure solenoid hose vacuum complete diagram? I changed the spark plug yesterday and I forgot the hose vacuum connection. I didnt notice before. Now my car run completely weird. any picture? BTW my boost solenoid is factory stock.