PDA

View Full Version : Clocks 'n' Beeps

Polabear
14-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Does anyone else apart from Pete the :3d: have a problem with their dash clock going off intermittentley, then just reappearing again at the default time...? also I thought all VR-4's beeped or buzzed....whatever, at you when in reverse....or is this only the Tip/Auto box models.....? hopefully another manual box owner can unconfuse an Old Bear :headsc: :shrug:

wirdy
14-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Pola,
Nothing audible from mine in reverse? (manual).

(P.S airbox feed on it's way).

Darren
14-06-2004, 10:44 AM
My does, I just give it a bang and it comes back have lost a few minutes. I thought it was just going a bit Abraham Simpson.
I suspect that they plug in and was going to have a look at the connection on Sunday but went to the Northern Big One (Scooby Charity Day) at light water valley instead. I recon it will be a pretty simple fix though. My guess is it's lifting slighty out of its connection.
Will into it tonight if the car passes it's MOT :uhoh2:

Polabear
14-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Cheers Nige, it must only be the auto boys who have this... :-D BIG CHEERS for the airbox pipe... :beerclash

Polabear
14-06-2004, 07:59 PM
My does, I just give it a bang and it comes back have lost a few minutes. I thought it was just going a bit Abraham Simpson.
I suspect that they plug in and was going to have a look at the connection on Sunday but went to the Northern Big One (Scooby Charity Day) at light water valley instead. I recon it will be a pretty simple fix though. My guess is it's lifting slighty out of its connection.

:uhoh: :uhoh2: Hope it goes well Darren... any more news on rugmunch sitters :baby: for the weekend Mate..?

Polabear
15-06-2004, 01:12 AM
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what happend 2 post's ago..... :scared1: is Da Bear finally losing it.... :headsc: :shrug:

Spirit
15-06-2004, 07:38 AM
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what happend 2 post's ago..... :scared1: is Da Bear finally losing it.... :headsc: :shrug:

I have deleted it - never seen a pola bear blush before :-D

KiwiTT
15-06-2004, 07:52 AM
My clock did that too! I had my dealer repair it. Just the solder contacts getting old.

Also mine beeps in reverse (I have a Tiptronic.)

Polabear
15-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Cheers KiWi, that confirms it, it must be an autobox thing...... :thumbsup: as for the clock......will keep on Tw*tting it for the time being.... :nono: :lolz:

Darren
15-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Fixed me clock last night. Dead Easy.

Firstly, rip it out from the top, don't be shy they have a little hard foam stuff to hold in place. But it's just those spring clip things holding it, no screws yet.

Once it's out you'll see it's a very simple clock surrounded by a load of plastic. Disasemble it, take out the clock part. Go in, turn on the soldering iron, make a cup of tea, re-tin the power pins. Then when you've finished your cuppa, take it back out to the car. Take something thin and strong like a tiny allen key. With it, squish the contacts in the plug a little to compensate for the years of settle. And plug it in. Give is a wiggle to see if it's stopped, if it hasn't a final slight bend of the power pins should fettle it.

Hope it helps :)
Took 20 mins (Gas powered soldering)

You can even take out the red lens in the clock to change the colour from pale blue/gray to green (which is much brighter) I'm going to experiment with various sweer wrappers to see if I can get it a funky purple colour or summik.

Polabear
15-06-2004, 01:14 PM
You little Bobby Dazzler Dazza...... :beerclash my clock is green anyway... :headsc: cheers mate... any news on the weekend at the pod mate...?

Darren
15-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Looks doubtful :( last night the wife said she'd ordered a skip for Saturday and I said "I don't think Dave's taking the Skoda like" and she said "it's for the garden, I want all that rubble taking out, all your broken tellys, computers and other things you can't bear to part with, put in it.
Then you can go to B&Q and get more gravel and finish that."

:Cry1:

Or I sneak out :rolleyes5

Nick Mann
15-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Or I sneak out :rolleyes5

This option looks good..... ;)

Polabear
17-06-2004, 11:20 AM

BTW Darren......... :wtf: is Abraham Simpson.....? :dozey:

LMAO..@ Darren's pun about BDA's skoda..... :lipsrseal

Also did the car pass it's MOT....?

Darren
21-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Abraham Simpson is senile and forgets a lot. Bit like our ECU :p

and the car soared through it's MOT mate. Well chuffed.

Polabear
21-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Bit like me then.... ;) brill news about the MOT mate...VR4 Rules... :-b

Grinder
11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I know this is an old thread but I've tried to get my clock out ("rip it out from the top, don't be shy"), something snapped and dropped down inside the dash but everything still works (except the clock of course), and the clock is still stuck in there good n proper.

Is there anyone in the South that has done this and would rip out my clock for me ? This is real desparation....I am thinking of getting a stick-on digital clock but if someone is out there... even if outside Essex, I could keep you in mind when we are travelling... Stupid idea I know but might just work out!

Legnum Boy
12-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Where abouts in Essex are you?
I could nip over on my bike at the weekend.
I will get that clock out.... :smash: /yes
I cant do the re-soldering bit though... :embarasse

Nick Mann
12-08-2005, 09:13 AM
It lifts vertically, the clock comes with the cover over the top. It is held in with four clips, which is probably overkill - the center console is only held in with 6! Pull vertically and you should get there - it's just a bit stiff (!).

norcab
16-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey guys, I am all the way from Suriname, south america, and i struggled with this stupid clock on my 97 Legnum 4 soooo long!

It's like the man said, just rip off the cover (which holds the clock also), it is fastened with 4 hefty metal clips, so it really takes some power (I used a LOT of power to get it off!).

What you do after that is really not very important, long as you get the connexions of the male-2-female plug to stick properly. I sandpapered the coppper pins till they were shiny, bent them a bit so they would make better contact, and even bent the inner connectors a little. Works like a charm!

:chugchug:

Norman W. Cabenda

Grinder
16-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Norman, it great to hear from someone so far away, and thanks for the insight.

Do you pull it straight "up" or slide it sideways? The shape of the cover makes me want to slide it, but if its pull up, or towards you (away from the wind-screen) then I guess I am just doing it wrong.

Never heard of Suriname myself, so looked it up in case I'm not the only one. Hope the weather is nice and the air conditioning is working!

Nick Mann
16-08-2005, 05:20 PM
It lifts vertically, the clock comes with the cover over the top. It is held in with four clips, which is probably overkill - the center console is only held in with 6! Pull vertically and you should get there - it's just a bit stiff (!).

Vertically! Straight up!! Towards the heavens!!! /pan :p

norcab
17-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Just UP grinder, the clips are simple vertical clips, like about one in each corner (not precisely) of the cover. Hurt my fingers, but I did.

I have another question, dunno if it can be answered here.

The Legnum comes with a nice MMCS, a radio/casetteplayer, and some kind of cd-drive in the trunk somewhere. I need a real cd-player/changer in this car, does anyone know the best/easiest way to connect one without giving up the pretty display? One that even utilizes the display? Is there just a simple connector where i can connect a mitsubishi cd-changer?

Norman /help

nakiboy
29-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Anyone got a photo of the removed clock showing how it's held in so we can see what we are up against?