PDA

View Full Version : GAB Coilovers

VR4WGN
30-06-2009, 10:53 AM
well recently i have finished the conversion so im now driving the car,iv fitted the GAB "Wagon" Coilovers to her ,but sadly im not too happy wit hthe performance!
Dont get me wrong,it has HUGELY reduced any body roll on or in the corners whils under acceleration too,but on the highway its not acceptable!,typical 'boyracer' type bouncing in the front,and i dont deem it safe.
now solutions is what im after.

before changing them all,could i keep the rears in as i love the handling in the rear and the height,but the fronts need to GO or something done..

can i keep the rears and maby upgrade to a new good strut and spring for the front?

if not or if so please let me nkow your inputs please

MPBVr4
30-06-2009, 12:19 PM
What about a pair of lowering spring and Bilstein dampers with stiffer ARB.?

Roberto
30-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Are they adjustable?

If so, might be at one extreme.

Turbo_Steve
30-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Indeed, if they're adjustable, I'd start there. Also, are they height adjustable?
Finally: are the springs the correct spec for the car? If they're not, then you may simply be bouncing off the end of the shock, rather than the spring doing it's job and the shock absorber dampening it.

Probably cheapest to get stiffer springs first of all.

rees
30-06-2009, 08:09 PM
^what he said:thumbsup:

bradc
30-06-2009, 08:19 PM
If they are bouncing around like that at the front then either the front shocks are screwed, set way too soft, or the spring rates are completely wrong.

VR4WGN
30-06-2009, 10:06 PM
hmmmm good points guys,i also thort maby a softer spring so the strutt does its job,but il lgo to TSV and see what they reckon,remembering im not usedto it tho,so this may be the reason,but never the less if they come out is it ok to leave the rear in?

Turbo_Steve
01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
You can leave the rears in, but be aware that with a highly compliant (standard) front end, and much less compliant rear you will have some "interesting" handling charecteristics, so I'd take it steady.

bradc
01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Nahh you'd go with a harder spring to sort that problem out, or setting the shock to a much stiffer setting.

VR4WGN
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
hmm how do i explain... um im getting used to it now but still want to change the front to a softer but more stable system,the rear is JUST GREAT!!, but notice im losing traction more with this suspension in it,could this be true? or am i losing the plot?
remember tho i dont have ayc i got open diff

Goku
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Thats quite possible, due to the fact the struts will be stiffer, so the car won't bog down as much under load and that load has to go somewhere.

VR4WGN
02-07-2009, 03:16 AM
and onto the tar mac it goes!! good tyres those i got from Brad,dont wanna wear them down lol

VR4WGN
03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
im gonna put the RS-R's in on the front,we are doing a run tonight and im hoping that it will run ok,i just think the front is not right,but hey what if i just sway the spring? or would i fall into other problems?