PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox (again)

Jerry Shaw
01-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I know i've been a bit of a pain with this one, but I am now nearly at the point of removing the GB to do the TC seal.

Can anyone tell me if the gearbox just comes striaght down or if there is a shaft to clear first?

There isnt a great deal of space toward the passenger side if it needs horizontal movement.

The workshop description says,

"Remove the transmission lower bolts and lower the transmission assembly."

That suggests that when all fixings are removed, it can be lowered directly down. Is this the case?

peter thomson
01-07-2009, 10:32 AM
In the VR4 you have to allow the engine and box to drop at an angle towards the passenger wing to allow it pull back from the engine and to then clear the inner wing .I assume it will be the same or similar for you

Eric
01-07-2009, 10:37 AM
You will need to pull the transfer box first and unbolt the tourque converter and all the other things, there are alot of small things but most are not difficult (except the front turbo inlet pipe). Then you can unbolt the transmission.

After everything is undone, it will only need to be pulled out about an inch to get it off of the guide pins. Make sure that after you replace the seal, spin the tourque converter a few times while pushing it into the transmission to make sure it is correctly seated.

One recommendation is to get some type of thread lock fluid for the tourque converter bolts. Ive had them come out on previous cars ive had and the £10 is nothing compared to the possibility of not using it.

Any other questions ask

peter thomson
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
It's not a VR4 Eric

You will need to pull the transfer box first and unbolt the tourque converter and all the other things, there are alot of small things but most are not difficult (except the front turbo inlet pipe). Then you can unbolt the transmission.

After everything is undone, it will only need to be pulled out about an inch to get it off of the guide pins. Make sure that after you replace the seal, spin the tourque converter a few times while pushing it into the transmission to make sure it is correctly seated.

One recommendation is to get some type of thread lock fluid for the tourque converter bolts. Ive had them come out on previous cars ive had and the £10 is nothing compared to the possibility of not using it.

Any other questions ask

Jerry Shaw
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Thats the info I was after. Thanks loads.

Eric, the jobs a bit easier than you describe, It's a boring GLS, lol, so no extra bits.

Nice tip about the TC bolts though, cheers.

Jerry Shaw
01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
YAY the postman has just brought me some prezzies from Camskill.

I take it the TC seal goes in with the open side toward the engine?

peter thomson
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
The flat face goes towards the engine

Jerry Shaw
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Ok, I only asked just in case the old one falls out before I can see, lol

Thanks.

Eric
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Thats the info I was after. Thanks loads.

Eric, the jobs a bit easier than you describe, It's a boring GLS, lol, so no extra bits.

Nice tip about the TC bolts though, cheers.

My bad :smash:

Then its much, much, much easier.

GLS POWAH

Jerry Shaw
03-07-2009, 08:56 PM
The gearbox is off, and the new seal is in, but can anyone give me a rough idea of how far in it needs to be seated??

I have been getting a firm 'click' as I tap it so I am assuming its fully seated.

I notice there is a bevelled edge where the seal goes in, does it need to be in any further than about 1mm lower than this bevel?

Nearly there folks, WOOOHOOO,lol

bradc
03-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Take a pic for us perhaps?

Jerry Shaw
03-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, I dont know how to post pics or even if my status allows it so here are a couple of links.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t223/Jerryshaw/Gearbox/DSCF2478.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t223/Jerryshaw/Gearbox/DSCF2482.jpg

It was hard to get any focus as the light was fading so I hope they are clear enough to see.

Can I just say, that I wouldnt have got this far if it wasnt for others help, so a BIG thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have said that I used a piece of wood and the old seal to tap it in. I went round in as small increments as I could.

Also to add, it was a seal without the metal band, so I am assuming it was the original fitment. If it is, I'm glad as the inerior one has lasted 12 years, so hopefully a better one will outlive my ownership.

Nutter_John
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
from what i can see it needs to sit just a little prouder so that the face mates with the TC

Jerry Shaw
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
So its in too far? Whats the best way to pull it out while not buggering it up? lol

Nutter_John
03-07-2009, 10:04 PM
tbh it is very hard to tell from the photos but you need to have it a slight bit above the ring

Jerry Shaw
03-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok, I have done a very basic and crap sketch representing the cross section of where the seal sits and how it is now.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t223/Jerryshaw/Gearbox/Crap-Scetch.jpg

John, am I right in saying that it should be level with the tops of the black bits?