PDA

View Full Version : Suspension problems ..

Xeroid
05-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Seems when I bought the Legnum from Simms on the Shore a few years back they'd replaced the Jap adjustables with standard shocks except they were not new, they were 'preloved'. ....
Now it's been pointed out to me twice by VTNZ that they are leaking and yesterday at some degree of speed and a sudden dip I managed to dig the front tow eyes into the tarseal so they are obviously not doing the job anymore.
Time to replace and I may do the lot as she seems to be wallowing a bit on what appears to be softened shocks so the backs may be abit soggy too.

Bearing in mind I'm on 18" 45 225 tyres and do give the beast a bit of urge now and then any recomendations.?

Our Mitsi Mech Mark ( no longer available :thumbsdow ) recommded the Shock Shop up on Great North Road as good price and sevice and knowing their stuff.
He reckons around $600 but that was a year or so ago and probably just standard shocks.

So ...suggestions ?

bradc
05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Koni sell shocks suitable for VR-4's and are around $600. Ryan has them fitted to his car and the car feels very good with them.

Liz told me that your ones were a bit screwed when I met her at work a little while ago and I mentioned the Koni's then.

If you simply want something stock I've got a few here that you can have for a 6 pack :)

Xeroid
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Ta for the offer Brad, think I'll go for shiny and new. I'll check the Konis out at Shock Shop. He'll probably have them as an option.

Ryan
06-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Koni sell shocks suitable for VR-4's and are around $600. Ryan has them fitted to his car and the car feels very good with them.

Liz told me that your ones were a bit screwed when I met her at work a little while ago and I mentioned the Koni's then.

If you simply want something stock I've got a few here that you can have for a 6 pack :)

No I don't! I have Monroe Reflex shock absorbers sourced from Pit Stop Greenlane. Just over $700 for a full set.

As Brad says, they are fairly good and combined with my EVO VII's and 235/45/17 - the ride is quite firm (some may say hard) but I prefer it that way.

bradc
06-07-2009, 05:35 AM
sorry my bad!

eyeballprawn
06-07-2009, 07:21 AM
For us Aussies who will have to deal with a shop that has never heard of our cars, does anyone know what is another car that would run the same shocks?

Ryan
06-07-2009, 07:28 AM
For us Aussies who will have to deal with a shop that has never heard of our cars, does anyone know what is another car that would run the same shocks?

None that I'm aware of unfortunately.

eyeballprawn
06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
In that case, could you please help me out with the Monroe part numbers?

Ryan
07-07-2009, 12:57 AM
In that case, could you please help me out with the Monroe part numbers?

According to the people I bought the shocks from, the Monroe part numbers you are after are:

FRONT: E1215
REAR: E1213

They are sold as pairs.

Xeroid
15-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok, full set of Monroes all round and new stops fitted tomorrow at the Shock Shop.
Price just under $1000 with parts, relignment check and labour. Shocks are $300 for the front pair and $310 for the rear including GST.
Looked at Bilsteins but they were $300 per corner !!
Let you know what I think after.
At least hopefully the nose will take less of a bashing.

Xeroid
16-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Ok, apparently there was almost no gas and no fluid left in the old shocks, no wonder she was riding like a whale.
The Monoroes have made a hell of a difference, didn't realise how bad she had gotten. Even smoother riding on rough roads as it flattens them out better. And now no nasty sounds from the back when I hit a corner hard.
Give her a bit of a run over the weekend up north and see how it goes.
All up price $979.00 and all done within the timeframe.

So if you don't want to do it all yourself I'd recommend them.
Shock Shop, Great North Road, just above Surrey Crescent. Ask for Chris, there are two of them.

Ryan
17-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Good stuff - I was also surprised by how much the car's handling / ride quality had improved.

Kenneth
17-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Good result :)

You running on standard springs?

Xeroid
19-07-2009, 02:32 AM
>Kenneth: Yeah, as far as I know they are standard. I've now got some ride height back, definitely gained about 25mm or more so the driveway entrance/exit is now longer being bulldozed.

Just had a good run up to Puhoi and back. Used old SH1 going up the and the motorway coming back. very pleased with the ride.
Nice to see some tangible results from money spent.