PDA

View Full Version : Judder

Darren
15-06-2004, 10:57 AM
I've been experiencing brake judder on the car since I bought it :furious3: . Had new front pads on which didn't cure it, but made it stop faster. I've always blamed the front discs. And will replace them anyway, but, yesterday I got some new rear pads and the judder has reduced dramatically. The original pads were very worn. The car is now a joy to stop (was always a joy to drive :-D ).

Just posting this for anyone working on the problem at the moment. :rolleyes5

I do have a weird thing with the brake pedal though. When braking lightly, I can feel a slight undulation on the pedal, the brakes still work fine but it's a little odd. Ideas anyone.

lorriman
15-06-2004, 01:57 PM
I get exactly the same on my V6-24. It seems to come and go though. It's more pronounced when the brakes are warm. I've put it down to that thing I read about some months ago - the myth of warped discs. It said something to the effect that brake judder is often caused by a build of of 'Cementite' on the disc which is a chemical generated when the pads and discs get hot and a deposit is left on the disc surface. This makes the surface of the disc bumpy, hence the judder or apparent grabbing with slight braking.

The thing about this is that it goes away, then reforms again.

I'm just resigned to putting up with it!

Nick Mann
15-06-2004, 01:58 PM
I had judder on the V6. It was very speed related. New discs solved the problem.

Never had it on the VR4.

Darren
15-06-2004, 02:00 PM
The point I was trying to make though, is that a lot of mine was coming from the back brakes. Although it felt like the front.

Mel
19-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Felt slight judder on light braking at 70 to 80 on the test drive before I bought the car. Bought it anyway (instant love!), and dealer said it should go away- or they would fix it.

After about 2 months, it was pretty horrible, and the dealer (Marshalls, Cambs) did all the pads and front discs FOC (after a bit of coaxing!). No problems since then.

Jimbo
20-06-2004, 03:59 PM
My old V6 suffered this a lot too, once was definately the discs warping, but the second time (which was never resolved) felt very different. It was after I had new front pads fitted (after skimming a few months before) and the sensation was strange, possibly the same as you describe. It was almost as if the whole brake system was moving a few mills each time I applied my foot and was equally as bad at 70-80mph as it was at 20-30mph.

Took it back to the garage a couple of times and got different explanations. The first time I was told they had tightened the calipers :uhoh2: and then after that made no difference, I just got told that the pads had "worn funny" and that I must be a light braker to have got them into that state. :huh:

Bemused? I was! So, if you ever want a laugh, or if you want a garage to lose your wheel locking nuts :veryangry , then I firmly recommend my local Holdcroft Mitsi dealership, especially if you enjoy washing the car yourself every damn time they service it.