PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint rubbers

Jerry Shaw
09-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi folks.

I've been having a good nosey around the site and came across some really scary piccies of busted ball joints.

Mine's a UK car and probably doesnt come under the recall's but I have 2 questions.

Are the UK cars likely to have these ball joint problems, and can you get just the balljoint rubbers?

While I was doing my TC seal, I noticed that the rubbers are starting to perish, so if I can replace them, i will.

Good news is, I got the gearbox sorted - YAY - lol bad news is, I must have split a cv boot cos there's grease everywhere, lol.

bradc
09-07-2009, 04:21 AM
The ball joints do wear on all cars and do need to be replaced semi-regularly. Typically around the 100-120000km point in my experience.

I haven't heard of anyone replacing just the rubbers. It is probably possible but normally the arms are easier to replace.

Jerry Shaw
09-07-2009, 08:44 AM
The ball joints do wear on all cars and do need to be replaced semi-regularly. Typically around the 100-120000km point in my experience.

I haven't heard of anyone replacing just the rubbers. It is probably possible but normally the arms are easier to replace.

Thanks, thats fair enough. Definately a scary thougth of one popping out though.