PDA

View Full Version : Spray for sqealing belts?

adam_shaw
16-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi All,

A friend with a corsa (it's okay - said friend is a girl) is suffering from sqealing belts. After driving through a puddle the sound goes away.

It sounds to me like the belts are just sqealing on the pulleys, I remember (many years ago) my father having an Austin Ambassador (not many would admit to that :laugh: ) that had the same problem. He used to get this spray stuff and bingo - problem fixed.

Anyone know if you can still get it, or else what it was? I am in Germany and Sh^&fords is not so handy.

Or else alternative, safe solutions - I'm guessing that save-all WD40 is nto the right thing!

Be good,

A

zentac
16-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Basically the belts are loose, one of the tricks if youve got a loose altenator belt is to spray water or WD40 on them which makes them shrink which will normally "Get you home" however its not a perminant fix. Try tightening the belts, failing that replace them.

enigma
16-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Remove her belt and tights and you will find the squealing is replaced by moaning!!! ;)

adam_shaw
16-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Remove her belt and tights and you will find the squealing is replaced by moaning!!! ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

Now there's an idea :$

I had a look and the tension on the belts looked okay - I will take another look, a belt can only be a few euro anyhow.

A

adam_shaw
16-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Just reminded myself of a joke;

I got a sweater for christmas. I wanted a screamer or a moaner! :rolleyes5

I'll get me coat....

A

wirdy
16-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I know Comma do a product called 'belt dressing spray' which eliminates belt squeal. See HERE (http://www.dentonauto.co.uk/oils/maintenfeature.html)
You should be able to find something similar at a German accesories shop?

Physician
16-06-2004, 03:03 PM

Hahahahaha! Excellent Dave ......... :-D :-D :-D

Rally205
17-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Back in the days when I got my hands dirty I use to use candle wax to stop belts squealing. Just get a candle and with the engine idling hold it on the contact side of the belt until the squealing stops. Watch your bloody fingers though!!!!

Actually it even if your belts are not squealing it is amazing how much quieter and smoother it sounds with a bit of wax

adam_shaw
18-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Top banana....

That sounds like a technique sure to impress,

'Observe, as I fix this problem with nothing more than a household candle...' :D

Got new belts anyhoo, so gonna take a look sunday

A