PDA

View Full Version : Convert 4WD to FWD ?

zentac
14-07-2009, 09:14 AM
A question for anyone who has stripped a 4WD box, Is there any way to convert the 4WD gearbox to FWD

Wodjno
14-07-2009, 09:16 AM
A question for anyone who has stripped a 4WD box, Is there any way to convert the 4WD gearbox to FWD

You have the matter of the Transfer box being bolted to the gearbox :thinking2

zentac
14-07-2009, 09:18 AM
You have the matter of the Transfer box being bolted to the gearbox :thinking2

Dont suppose you have any pics of what how they connect?

Nick Mann
14-07-2009, 09:46 AM
You'd need to change everything after the final drive for it to work. I have no idea of how much work that would be. I guess if you are lucky the FWD internals are similar to the 4WD internals.

zentac
14-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Im wondering if I can use the diff out of a FWD box to make it FWD (it sounds too simple, but knowing mitsi it could work) but having never seen the internals of a VR4 box its difficult to tell without buying one :)

Anyone got a broken one they dont want?

Kenneth
14-07-2009, 10:15 PM
The front diff is actually in the transfer case.

The main issue as far as I can see is that it doesn't seal without the transfer case.

The gears etc inside the gearbox are likely the same though, is there some reason you couldn't say get hold of a evo gear set and stick that in your gearbox?

Davezj
14-07-2009, 10:18 PM
i know it is a simplistic look at the senario but can't you just remove the propshaft and bung up the hole in the transfer case.
but i don't see the point.

or is it a case you have a FWD and want to buy a 4WD box and convert it because you can't get hold of a FWD box.