PDA

View Full Version : RPS mufflers - experiences?

wintertidenz
14-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Looking at getting myself either part or the whole catback system off an Evo 4-6 through Pit Stop for fairly cheap as it's being discontinued.
Really just wanted the muffler but they have to buy the whole system and they will see how much modification it needs to fit on... if it's too much they will give me just the muffler.

So has anyone gotten a RPW exhaust fitted to their car, and any problems with it passing a WOF, or anything like that? Just a bit concerned about noise levels etc as I have heard some good, and not so good rep.

This is the system here:
http://www.srd.net.nz/product_info.php?cPath=6_11&products_id=75

Ryan
14-07-2009, 11:45 PM
I have one. It's loud IMO but has always passed a WOF at the Pit Stop where I got it fitted :p

It's not bad once you get more than 2000rpm but it resonates through the entire car at about that or slightly less.

Kenneth
14-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Corrected thread title

I have a RPS cannon muffler which came with my Galant...

With standard front and centre exhaust, it was far too loud and droned... with front pipes and no cat converter, I think it gave me permanent hearing damage :P

I do assume there are various mufflers though, so you might find one that has reasonable noise control.

Subaru ETA
14-07-2009, 11:48 PM
my car has a RPS muffler fitted. it has a nice burble on over run but it can be abit droney.

my system at the mo is 3 inch with decat, 2 resos and i have the silencer fitted to the back. it passed a VTNZ wof ok.

when i got it i just had 1 reso and it was unbearable at motorway cruising speed.

bradc
14-07-2009, 11:48 PM
1. The evo one won't fit

2. RPS mufflers are straight through and tend to be quite loud. I have them on the purple car, so you'll be familiar with the noise produced.

VR4WGN
15-07-2009, 01:52 AM
RPS in my past experianc eis loud,droney,but a good looking muffler if going for the mid -high class range,not entry level

wintertidenz
15-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Whoops, don't know what I was thinking there with the spelling - my bad :P not enough coffee!

So the Evo muffler won't fit, or the whole system won't fit? They said they were willing to do some mods to get it fitted... It doesn't seem like the cannon type either.
I told them that I do want to be able to switch back to the stock muffler if it's too noisy.

Taking the car in there on Friday so they can see if 1) it will fit without too much modification and 2) how noisy the muffler will be - I will get them to quickly bolt it on there to see what it sounds like.

Subaru ETA
15-07-2009, 04:06 AM
i dont think "quickly bolt it on" is going to happen. if the system is off an evo it wont bolt straight up and id imagine that the rear muffler would be welded to the rest of the system

wintertidenz
15-07-2009, 04:31 AM
OK, so they will need to do a bit of modification to get the exhaust to fit. Might just get them to can the 3" centre piece then and just fit the exhaust.

It doesn't look like a barrel exhaust either from the RPS site, more a muffler with tip - this should be quieter than the barrel type, correct?

Subaru ETA
15-07-2009, 04:35 AM
link?

wintertidenz
15-07-2009, 04:50 AM
http://www.go-rps.com/images/MU2154.jpg

http://www.srd.net.nz/images/Copy%20of%20mit1.jpg

confusis
15-07-2009, 08:57 AM
RPS in my past experianc eis loud,droney,but a good looking muffler if going for the mid -high class range,not entry level

agreed. had one on my Laurel..

wintertidenz
17-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Okay, had a look at the system today... the front exhaust section is almost identical to the one on the car, they will need to cut and weld a couple of small pieces where the AYC is so it doesn't hit on it, we're talking about maybe 50mm off 1 end and welded on the other end... Muffler piping is exactly the same shape as the other one so they just need to change mounting points. Had a good look at the muffler, seems to be a pretty decent one... slightly smaller than the factory one.

All up cost for the cat back system should be around $600 :)

maori_by_nature
17-07-2009, 02:28 PM
i have 1 n love it sounds different to alot of others though, more grunty

thfelipeth
24-07-2009, 10:10 AM
yep it sounds good, but way too noisy! i could only stand it for about a month and changed it to another RPS muffler with a silencer, helps but it goes right through your body!!! very good sound though.... lol