PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostics software and lead

Mel
17-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Anyone know if there is an interface cable and PC software available for the VR4. I've seen them for VAG and Seat cars, and they are pretty cute.

You can log just about everything (boost pressure, inlet temp, accelerator position, passenger squawk level :eek: , yada, yada, yada) and check them out later or display dials of your favourite ones.

I've also seen one for a PDA, which may bit a bit handier in a car.

Closest I've seen is the HKS camp (see post in non-VR4 chat forum from Kieran), but that is more of a standalone one.

wirdy
18-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Bigdaveakers has tried one of these OBD2 leads with his laptop & couldn't get his software to recognise the data format.

I've got a laptop & software (free from here (http://www.scantool.net/software/index.htm) ). It's not super software that displays simulated instruments, it just gives raw data - but it's free & you can always upgrade at a later date to some commercial software, if you can get the system proven first.

The interfaces range in price, but can be picked up for about £60 - £70 on e-bay, just do a search for OBD2, OBD-II, etc. Or you can DIY an interface for £30 here (http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/obdii_hardware.htm)

All the info out there says that our Galants should be OBD-II compliant, but I've yet to be able to justify £60 on a gamble until I find out for certain that the Mitsi data is decodeable on anything other than a MUT-II.

Does that help? :)

Mel
18-06-2004, 09:03 PM
x_snip_x
on anything other than a MUT-II.

Does that help? :)

Thats great, thanks- I'll have a look. Whats the MUT-II?

wirdy
18-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Whats the MUT-II?
The diagnostic scan tool that Mitsi dealers have.

enigma
18-06-2004, 11:23 PM
My lead is packed for tomorrow, someone needs to bring some software to try it out though!

;)

Kieran
18-06-2004, 11:35 PM
If the jap format ECUs won't play ball then you're welcome to have a try with my UK-spec ECU...

wirdy
30-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Did anyone try?