PDA

View Full Version : Wtb Clutch

Petrea NZ
20-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Need a standard factory replacement clutch for my 1999 facelift galant, if anyone knows where I can pick up a relatively cheap one that would be awesome.

bradc
20-07-2009, 10:35 AM
A good option is the EVO 7-9 stock clutch as it handles more power than stock. Bill at Ralliart can get them for you fairly cheaply.

Petrea NZ
20-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Will that be okay with the standard gearbox, I was told that there is no point upgrading my clutch until I do the box?? Or is there not much difference. How do I get hold of him?

bradc
20-07-2009, 11:45 AM
The gearbox will handle anything you can throw at it. It is an evo gearbox remember :)

You need both the evo clutch disc and pressure plate. Go to www.ralliart.co.nz for all of his details and tell him who sent you :)

Petrea NZ
20-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Thank you very much, I really appreciate that, I will let you know how I get on :)

Kenneth
20-07-2009, 11:23 PM
If you can spare the time/money it may be worth while getting the gearbox bearings checked (assuming you have little or no knowledge of the car's history)

No reason why there should be anything wrong with them, but I know of a couple of cars which have had them go (mine was due to the person "looking after" my car thrashing it within an inch of its life) so it is worth checking out if you can.

Petrea NZ
20-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I may look into doing this once the clutch is sorted and I have some spare cash lying around. Do you know roughly how much it would be to get this done??

Gotta love people with "well looked after" Vr4's :P

Kenneth
20-07-2009, 11:46 PM
While the gearbox is off, getting it checked is probably fairly cheap. Depends on who does it I guess.

When paying someone to do anything gearbox related, the majority of the cost is usually in the labor required to remove and re-fit the gearbox.

Carsten (Gly) may be able to give you a better idea of what it cost him, I believe he did his himself.

Don't want to alarm you as the bearing could be in perfect condition, just I think it is worth considering the check... The manual gearboxes seem to be bullet proof other than that bearing!

Gly
21-07-2009, 01:31 AM
the bearing and seal i replaced (input shaft)
cost $50 for both parts,

if the gearbox is coming out to do the clutch anyway,
you may aswell get it done as this a semi-common failure part on the manuals.
and it would only add 1hour to the labour cost of your clutch

if you dont do it now, you'll have to pay all the labour again to take out the gearbox,

theres about 8hours labour in taking the box out and refitting it,

just to let you know i replaced my bearing after failure, and approx a year later i had clutch failure.

luckily the guys here helped me out both times so it was all a DIY job.
but it wouldnt have been cheap if i had a garage do it,

i put a custom evo 8 clutch in mine (4400lb pressure plate and a ACT 6 puk metallic sprung clutch disk)

Subaru ETA
21-07-2009, 01:45 AM
i would def do the input shaft bearing - mine **** itself about 10,000km after the clutch was done.

as gly said, we had a workshop day and did mine aswell so didnt cost much to do.

if you want a clutch that feels standard but can still handle abuse go for the exedy sports tuff clutch kit

Gly
21-07-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Clutches/auction-230248184.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Clutches/auction-230547858.htm

Petrea NZ
22-07-2009, 03:46 AM
The clutch is going to be a DIY job but I don't know how to check the bearings, is there anyone in chch who would be able to help?? Or maybe I should just buy the clutch and pay for labour.

Petrea NZ
22-07-2009, 03:46 AM
ALSO is there anything I need to do or will that clutch bolt right up?

scott.mohekey
22-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I can probably help. I have most the tools, a shop crane, and a bit of space. I'm not sure about how to check the bearings, or whether that clutch will bolt right up, but someone else on here can probably help with that info.

Gly
22-07-2009, 04:18 AM
machine the flywheel thats all you need to do, (you should always do this when fitting a new clutch otherwise you will be opening a can of new issues)

the evo 7-9 clutch bolts straight onto the factory flywheel.
no you cannot use a evo flywheel its not a bolt on.

Kenneth
22-07-2009, 04:24 AM
It may be easier (and cheaper) to just replace the input shaft bearing and seal than pay anyone money to check it out!

Dave, would changing that bearing require the shims to be adjusted?

scott.mohekey
22-07-2009, 04:28 AM
I have a flywheel that you can get machined in preparation. That will mean we don't have to have the box out for a day or so waiting for it to be done.

Subaru ETA
22-07-2009, 06:11 AM
It may be easier (and cheaper) to just replace the input shaft bearing and seal than pay anyone money to check it out!

Dave, would changing that bearing require the shims to be adjusted?

nah, the input shaft bearing has no shims. just need to take the gearset out of the box and press it off - it comes of piece of piss.

as you said - its not worth getting it checked, just replace it! a genuine one from mitsi only cost me about $50

Petrea NZ
22-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Righto have lined up to get the clutch checked out by our mechanic to see if it actually needs to be changed (Fathers orders... waste of time I say) then I think I have found someone who can help change it. What I need to decide now is, am I going to just get the standard clutch or is it worth it just to get the evo one? I really don't need any extra costs but will replace the input shaft bearing while I'm there.

Petrea NZ
22-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a flywheel that you can get machined in preparation. That will mean we don't have to have the box out for a day or so waiting for it to be done.
How much would you want for that?

scott.mohekey
22-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Swap it for the one you take out.

Subaru ETA
23-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Righto have lined up to get the clutch checked out by our mechanic to see if it actually needs to be changed (Fathers orders... waste of time I say) then I think I have found someone who can help change it. What I need to decide now is, am I going to just get the standard clutch or is it worth it just to get the evo one? I really don't need any extra costs but will replace the input shaft bearing while I'm there.

shop around i say. see what you can get an evo one for and see what you can get the exedy sports tuff vr4 one for. i have thhe exedy one in my car and it feels like the std one but can take 4000rpm launch with ease