PDA

View Full Version : OK? to change steering wheel?

Ultra VR-4
07-06-2003, 12:58 PM
A friend told me that if I change the steering wheel, the Airbag light will turn on, and means will fail MOT...

Is this true? Anybody changed their steering wheel before?

:headsc: :boing3: :boing1: :boing2: :headsc: :boing3: :boing1: :boing2: :headsc:

Spirit
08-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Damn good question mate - can't help with the answer but it sounds possible your mate could be right - will be interested in the answer if anyone knows in case I ever get to change my OEM for the newer Momo

Pete

MTB
08-06-2003, 04:38 PM
well perhaps my mate ivan could shed some light on this issue because he has replaced his stock vr-4 steering wheel with a super vr-4 momo in red. you could check the image out under the pictures thread. :D

-LegnumVR4-
08-06-2003, 11:05 PM
As long as u are replacing the steering wheel with another wheel that has an airbag in it u should be right. My car came with the normal VR-4 steering wheel and i replaced it with the Momo steering which is the same as the EVO 4/5/6/6.5, they bolt straight on from an EVO or GSR.

Ultra VR-4
09-06-2003, 12:43 AM
really? you can buy momo steering wheels with airbags?
do you know what the model is called?:D

EdmundVR4
09-06-2003, 12:48 AM
My car came with the normal VR-4 steering wheel and i replaced it with the Momo steering which is the same as the EVO 4/5/6/6.5, they bolt straight on from an EVO or GSR.

I would like to do the same as you and replace my original VR4 steering wheel with an Evo 4/5/ or 6 wheel. Do you have a model # for the Momo steering wheel ? Any of your comments appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

-LegnumVR4-
09-06-2003, 05:21 AM
No sorry i don't have the model number of the steering wheel. It is a factory option from Japan, if no luck from Mitzy just get them to look up the EVO's Momo steering wheel or the 1.8 GSR wheel. All u do to install them is unbolt the wheel then put the other one on and bolt it up, plug in the airbag and your done, no mods needed.

Pescha
09-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Hehe I have a 'Nardi Torino' steering wheel INSERT INTO post VALUES (wood grain). Thank god I don't have to worry about my steering wheel.... ;)

Cheers,
Pescha!

Spirit
09-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Mine in a Nardi Torino aswell INSERT INTO post VALUES (but without the wood) and so is Barry's - so I assumed these were standard on the original VR-4's ?

Pescha
09-06-2003, 07:57 AM
I'd say so as there is a mitsubishi symbol in the centre, but I feel that the wood grain looks cool.... So I don't want to change it lol....:thumb:

Cheers,
Pescha!

MTB
09-06-2003, 09:26 AM
different specs of jdm vr-4s are equipped with different steering wheels. as far as i know, there is standard black leather, nardi with wood grain, black-leathered momo, red-leathered momo. uk-spec vr-4s might be slightly different though... :D

Ultra VR-4
09-06-2003, 09:30 PM
yeah well i only want to change my steering wheel becoz the factory one is so big, it feels like im driving a bus!

Freddy
13-01-2004, 04:22 AM
Legnum VR4 can you tell me how to actually remove the steeringwheel. I have found a momo w/airbag to replace my nardi

Kieran
13-01-2004, 08:11 AM
If you're getting shot of your Nardi Wheel, provided it's the leather trimmed one, I'd be interested!

-LegnumVR4-
14-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Legnum VR4 can you tell me how to actually remove the steeringwheel. I have found a momo w/airbag to replace my nardi

First disconnect the battery and leave the car for 10mins. After the 10mins make sure your steering wheel is aligned centre. You then need to find the correct fitting for the airbag screws so u can undo them. Any automotive place should have them. Unscrew the first scew then the second one but keepur hand over the Nardi airbag just in case it falls lose. Remove the Nardi airbag and disconnect the wires to the airbag, make sure u don't turn the clock spring as it's set to the centre so it can rotate left or right the same amount. It can be rotated a little but i wouldn't recommend an more than half a turn just to be safe.
Undo the large nut which is holding the steering wheel on untill it has lossen itself off about 5-10mm. While pulling on the wheel give the wheel a bitof a wiggle to losen it off. The reason for keeping the nut on the shaft is to stop the wheel from smacking u in the face when it releases.
Install your Momo in the reverse order making sure all the wires are connected correctly and screws are tighten up. Once everything is connected and checked, reconnect the battery then turn the key, the Airbag light will go out just like it did with the Nardi.

Rhys

Freddy
14-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Thanks for that pal, I will do it next week when I get a mo mo ment.

Freddy
14-01-2004, 04:30 AM
Kieran, this is the Nardi wheel I have. Is it the one your after ?

Kieran
14-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Yes! That's the one!

ReggieK
14-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Kieran, this is the Nardi wheel I have. Is it the one your after ?

Me want that one too :Cry1: The leather seems much more practical than the non grip plastic, sorry wood effect, item. :rolleyes5

colVR4
14-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Does it come with the green spotlight to bathe it in that neon glow? :cool1:

Freddy
27-01-2004, 08:49 AM
I did it, swapped the Nardi for the momo. I did what Legnum VR4 suggested (see below) and no problems. One thing though, the clamp for the 2 prong plug was slightly different, but I over came this with a cable tie wrapped around the clamp to hold it firmly together.

Spirit
27-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Congratulations mate ! May I ask how much the Momo set you back ? Was it new or second-hand ?

Freddy
27-01-2004, 06:36 PM
It was all new and the cost was NZ$1450.00. It took some shopping around, the first quote I got was NZ$2500.00. :laugh:

Spirit
27-01-2004, 07:21 PM
How f**king much :noshake: :noshake: - well as long as you are happy mate (must say it does look good :D )