PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the end??!

justjon
22-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, I don't usuall like asking for help but this time it seems, I just can't do without your knowledge!

En-route to work this morning all was going swimmingly, I was almost at work when I had to stop for a car turning right, In manual/tip mode, pulled away clean and smooth as ever, changed into second, still no problems, revs climbed to approx 4-4500 rpm into third....the little led on the dash moved but nothing from the engine, apart from revs, seemed to be slipping, tried fourth, same story, tried in auto mode first two gears worked just fine, then nothing in third or fourth apart from revs again, then it did that nasty jump dropped itself back to third and the green light next to Neutral started flashing and wouldn't change gears at all untill I pulled over, switched the engine off and re-started again.

So now I only have the two gears to get me to the garage tonight....wish me luck!!!

P.S. if anybody knows what may be occouring, I would appreciate it greatly, then I might be able to inform the spanner monkeys!

miller
22-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Sounds like your gearbox needs a flush? any amsoil in it at the moment?

justjon
22-07-2009, 04:12 PM
No amsoil...can't afford it ATM but I checked the fluids yesterday as we are away at the lakes this weekend and was worried about my slightly weeping torque converter seal, both engine oil and gearbox oil have plenty in them.

White Lightning
22-07-2009, 04:15 PM
What was the condition/colour of the gearbox oil?

justjon
22-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Sort of a light brown-reddish colour, but every couple of weeks it needs a drop of oil in the box as the seal is a little weepy.

aboo
22-07-2009, 04:59 PM
The neutral light flashes when the gear box is over heating. This is what happened to my car when the T/C seal failed.

White Lightning
22-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Sounds like that's the answer then ... get the torque converter seal replaced and get some Amsoil in there.

justjon
22-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, took it all the way to the spanner jockeys and they told me to take it straight to a place called M&T transmissions in bradway/Sheff, thing is, they close at about half four!...helpful. but they open for business at 9am...also helpfull as I will be at work all day (like most folk) So I had to turn around and driver her back home for now, my dad says he will have a ring around while he's at work (not doin much!) and let me know what he can find out,
However, last time i visited M&T to simply ask about the T/C seal, they told me it was going to be £400 before they even found out if that was the problem, that was just labour to get the gearbox off, and looking around the place, I'm not too sure I trust them with my poorly pride and joy.
So...anyone know of any decent/honest mechanics around local to Chesterfield/Sheffield ish...I know this could be classed as sacrelligious to have somebody else do the work rather than myself, but as I said..we are meant to be going to the lakes this weekend and simply have NO time to spare, oh...and even if I did have the time, I'm not sure I would have the first clue what to do! (not saying I'm crap...well, maybe just a little bit!)

SGHOM
22-07-2009, 07:13 PM
dont use M&T. :stop:

justjon
22-07-2009, 08:42 PM
dont use M&T. :stop:
Reason being?

And also, who else is there?

White Lightning
22-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a job for Nick Mann Services /yes

justjon
22-07-2009, 08:44 PM
sounds more like a job for batman TBH

White Lightning
22-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Nah, Nick could remove your gearbox, replace the T/C oil seal and refit your gearbox in a day ... perhaps send him a PM, he comes highly recommended :thumbsup:

justjon
22-07-2009, 08:52 PM
sounds like Nick Mann IS Batman!
Will look him up, however, i will not be able to get my car to him, as I'm away on saturday :(

TAR
22-07-2009, 10:04 PM
When the gearbox throws a wobbly, it will go into 'limp home' mode - this is indicated by the flashing N light.

The gearbox oil should be a clear `red colour, if its brown its cooked and needs replacing. Remember that only a full flush will suffice, if you are in any doubt look for the article in the members area and print it out for the garage to follow.

If the TC seal is on the way out you will see oil weeping from the drain hole at the bottom of the gearbox near to the removable inspection plate cover.

Also be aware that if the TC seal is leaking it can eventually suffer a catastrophic failure and dump the entire contents of the gearbox ATF onto the road.

:happy:

chris g
22-07-2009, 10:08 PM
No, not the end...

...but the end of the beginning of vr-4 ownership...

Now you move onto proper vr-4 care by using Amsoil for all its delicate little places...

...where all those whirring and rotating cog thingy whatsits can be found...

now proper TLC begins...

...with Amsoil!

Atik
22-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Call him what you will... Bat-Mann, Super-Mann or Wonderwo-Mann :p Nick will be your guy for this. Try PMing him about it. I know he has taken my gearbox out a few times already, both my auto and manual ones! LOL

And yeah, from my limited (but slowly expanding) knowledge, it sounds like the weepy TC seal combined with the browny oil is your culprit. As the oil level drops, it heats up quicker and quicker, and each time you top it up, you are only adding a tiny bit of good oil to already cooked stuff which is not doing the box any favours.

Get the seal done and put some good stuff in there and feel the difference :)

justjon
23-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Have pm'ed Nick/Bat Mann
Not using my car for now though. it can sit on the driveway and think about what it's done!

bradc
23-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Did you recheck the gearbox and was it still full? If so I'd say it is something other than the torque converter that has failed.