PDA

View Full Version : Side -Wall Sub Box

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 03:28 AM
well another project completed finally and here we are!! the end result.
this box was totally designed by myself to maintain MAXIMUM boot space while housing a sub box.

alot of hard work but i finally have it and its awsum.
fully carpetd and self supportive

houses 12" Sub and an amp underneath(so no one can touch it)
and Strut braces will still fit and so does the boot cover
enjoy

scott.mohekey
23-07-2009, 03:55 AM
That is very nice Q!

xt4t1k
23-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Wow thats awesome.

bradc
23-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Cool :D

starky
23-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Very nice indeed, such a nice feeling when you do it yourself and it turns out looking like a very tidy install. It looks like it came from the factorylike that, I did a similar thing in my old vectra but I mounted the amps so you could see them but they where flush fit so know one could adjust them I also made a false floor so I could get at the spare easy without removing the sub box :)

uploaded/50571/1248330808.jpg
uploaded/50571/1248331044.jpg

I have been thinking about doing something similar in the leggy :)

WildCards
23-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Impressive, is it something you're putting into production or a one off?

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Starky hats very nice man,but in the real orld amps are visible theft magnets lol,but never the less very nice

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Impressive, is it something you're putting into production or a one off?
thanx man,um i designed it and templated it for production for all you club boys wanting a near factory looking self install kit with MINIMAL work required to fit

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 11:08 AM
i am going to design a discreet style grille for it awsell,just contemplating laser cut or round stainles bar shaped to some style

Atik
23-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Oooh, nice.

I have half a fibre glass mould of the inside of that same wheel arch area waiting to be finished. Project was put on hold cos I didnt have a circular saw to chop the 18mm MDF in a straight line! And two wears later, I still dont have a circular saw!

Q, if you sell these, I'd be interested in one built for a 12" sub. I will be installing a rear strut brace soon and my current box wont fit flush to the rear seats anymore cos of that. Top work :)

bigsed
23-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Very nice, way better than my effort :(

Turbo_Steve
23-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Q, does that sit with it's back to the boot trim, or do you remove this and fit it to the bodywork?

I only ask as I really want a sub, but need to retain as much boot space as possible....

I'm a really picky bugger, me...

taupodrifta
23-07-2009, 08:42 PM
are you doing one for the other side aswell??? i want something like this but my car is running 2x12s

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Oooh, nice.

I have half a fibre glass mould of the inside of that same wheel arch area waiting to be finished. Project was put on hold cos I didnt have a circular saw to chop the 18mm MDF in a straight line! And two wears later, I still dont have a circular saw!

Q, if you sell these, I'd be interested in one built for a 12" sub. I will be installing a rear strut brace soon and my current box wont fit flush to the rear seats anymore cos of that. Top work :)

lol i think we all have them 2 year projects lying around lol,like my fibreglass dash surrounds,theyv been sitting since cancer and i have only got round to it lol:thinking2

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Q, does that sit with it's back to the boot trim, or do you remove this and fit it to the bodywork?

I only ask as I really want a sub, but need to retain as much boot space as possible....

I'm a really picky bugger, me...

hey man,i was waiting for your view lol.. um i know youre picky and theres nothing wrong with that.
now i have designed the box to withstand most of the factory padding,the only thing you need to do is remove the sidetray,and shop out the sidewall pocket, i will however sell the sub box with a how to fit guide.
tox hs been designed to keep maximum bootspace, im a surfer so i need to fit anywhere from 1-5 surfboards in the boot plus wetsuits so yes it only take up that lil side pocket area ,the rest sits in the sidewall of the body.
the sub itself is recessed to clear the spare wheel flap aswell,i am still thinking of a designer style grille for the box,discreet but good looking aswell

so input will be great.

plus i will also sell the sub boxes dis-assembled for cheaper freight o

VR4WGN
23-07-2009, 09:06 PM
are you doing one for the other side aswell??? i want something like this but my car is running 2x12s

yes im doing a twin setup for a customer whom bought a legnum form me.

but he has a viento,now i say this cos you have AYC!! so the box will not fit there due to the tank

taupodrifta
23-07-2009, 11:33 PM
yes im doing a twin setup for a customer whom bought a legnum form me.

but he has a viento,now i say this cos you have AYC!! so the box will not fit there due to the tank
I will soon be taking the ayc out and going open diff. You got any opens lying around by any chance

VR4WGN
24-07-2009, 02:30 AM
hahahahahhahahaa i wondered lol... um i have yes,i have 1 left but i might be putting it into the black vr4 on monday,i have a lsd from a type-V but Adam Finlay form ch ch is buying it i think,i can however get you one tho,anytime

Atik
30-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Any development on this one? Worked out a possible price for shipping to UK?

If it works out ok, I am definitely interested in one. Otherwise, might have to try to finish fabricating my old one!

VR4WGN
30-07-2009, 07:07 PM
yea man we worked out the pricing and its not cheap.
remembering Custom =$$$$ ay,orks out to $450+ for the custom box with the face plate and carpeted

Atik
30-07-2009, 10:16 PM
OUCH :(

Ok, no matter then Q. I will work out a plan of attack over here for my own one to get finished!

oldgit9
01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
i once read a post on an other mitsubishi forum (forgotten which one now. done a quick search but cant find it) that a company called auto acoustics would manufacture and fit a new stealth sub box to your car for free. but only if your car is not on their list. the only reason they would do it for free, is because they would use your car as a template for making more stealth boxes. the post also gave a name to contact for this service.

i was going to give them a call...but with work and the location of auto acoustics (West Sussex), i couldn't make it. plus i've lost the website with the contacts name.

but i must say, their stealth boxes are good. i had one in my MG ZR. it came fully carpeted, sound matting, and the cables installed. the only drawback with auto acoustics boxes, they can be on the expensive side. that's why i bought mine off ebay for half the price :)

edit:
forgot to add their website so you can have a look.
http://www.auto-acoustics.co.uk/index.asp

VR4WGN
01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
thats interesting ay dude! they can have my cars anytime lol... better yet i have 2 bum cuts they can use,then you boys can have the boxes too ,lol

jodykirton
23-08-2009, 11:45 PM
ive just built a box very very similar to this, one either side, i will upload photos of mine....

thehedgepig
27-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I've done a similar thing in mine....

jodykirton
28-08-2009, 01:03 AM
looks alright pal :)

one comment though, should have recessed the sub into the box so you can open the boot floor flap easy ;)

nice carpet job though :D

VR4WGN
28-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Battle of the Boxes? lol.. um is yours built into the sidewall of the legnum aswell or not?

oldgit9
28-08-2009, 10:37 AM
nice builds guys. and hopefully one day, i might attempt one.

my main concern, is keeping the amp/s cool. how are you guys keeping them cool when they are under the main big flap??? do you have cooling fans or forced air ducts to cool them???

Atik
28-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I find mine does not overheat at all. There is a lot of air in the spare wheel well and provided you dont pack stuck around the amp too much it should be ok. But then if you are running competition levels of amp and power then maybe you need more airflow, but for a single amp or even two amps for a Legnum, there should be plenty of airflow in there.

In fact, my main problem with the stereo install was the inline fuse holder in the engine bay getting too hot! I've found that the actual fuse holder has partially melted itself (dont worry its still ok, and in no danger of blowing my car up).

Turbo_Steve
28-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Is that from engine heat, Atik, or current draw!?

Atik
28-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Engine heat... I have the wiring tucked away down the side of the engine bay but when I got the car back from the bodywork respray, the wiring was out of place and the fuse holder was right over the engine! It wasnt until a couple of weeks later that I found the fuse holder out of place.

VR4WGN
28-08-2009, 02:46 PM
heheheheeh my amp is totally indapendantly mounted under the sub in its own tray that is WELL vented in 4 areas of Free flowing air too,lol

thehedgepig
28-08-2009, 09:26 PM
looks alright pal :)

one comment though, should have recessed the sub into the box so you can open the boot floor flap easy ;)

nice carpet job though :D

You have no idea how much I wished I had done exactly that...... /Grrr /Grrr /pan /pan

VR457
28-08-2009, 09:30 PM
How are the boxes fixed into place?

Do the boxes have 1 cu.ft (28 litres) volume as that seems to be a good size for a sealed twelve?

Turbo_Steve
28-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Just out of interest...what happens to these various designs in a collision?

jodykirton
29-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Just out of interest...what happens to these various designs in a collision?

they break?!?! /pan haha

Turbo_Steve
29-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I was thinking more in terms of how likely are they to travel up the cabin into the passenger space?

jodykirton
30-08-2009, 12:06 PM
very unlikey i would say, mine, (and i think VR4WGN's) are built very snug, it sits on the boot floor when the compartment is removed, and a small false floor installed.
Then once the box is made it slides down onto the false floor at a slight angle and then once past the plastic at the top by the window it naturally sits back and snugly.
Once there it doesnt move (ive had both of mine in since making them without additional fixings yet and drove the car had and havent moved at all).
When i wire the subs in properly (havent got an amp yet) then i will bolt it down through the sub box floor into the false floor ive made underneath it.

VR4WGN
31-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I was thinking more in terms of how likely are they to travel up the cabin into the passenger space?

look at the outline of how the box sits in the car .
this should clarify the near impossibleness of the box to fly forward at all.
if it was to crunch it would be stopped by the Strutt Tower anyhow.
the box is also bolted to the floor and as per pictures it sits IN the sidewall wich acts as a preventative and Hooray also i have calculated my volume and have 24.8L so im not far off lol

VR457
31-08-2009, 12:30 PM
the box is also bolted to the floor also i have calculated my volume and have 24.8L so im not far off lol

In the event of a crash bolting it down is the only thing that will save the box from flying all over the place.

From a sound point of view the box positioning results in less output than the traditional method of firing it towards the boot lid; you lose the low frequency lift of around 6-10 db in the 20 - 40 hz range.

I am looking at designing a box to be secured to the strut brace itself but no funds for a while to sound deaden the rear and for said brace :(

WizardKing
16-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I guess the calculation of 24 squared-litres for a single 12" sub uses 'the golden ratio ?'

I knew this cabinet wouldn't be too clever but had to try it . . Mainly 'cos I have 4 x 12" to squeeze in, somewhere [it's even worse than expected !]
Back to the drawing board, for me (unlike previous posters with smart installs.)

VR457
16-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I guess the calculation of 24 squared-litres for a single 12" sub uses 'the golden ratio ?'

I knew this cabinet wouldn't be too clever but had to try it . . Mainly 'cos I have 4 x 12" to squeeze in, somewhere [it's even worse than expected !]
Back to the drawing board, for me (unlike previous posters with smart installs.)

The golden number for sealed sub boxes is a Qtc of 0.707. Range 0.5 for very low bass extension and lower overall output to 0.9-1.0 for punchier sound. Too high and it can sound muffled with lack of impact and lag in bass delivery.

To model these you need software and good old Thiele Small parameters.

Or easier, you can go by manufacturers recommendations but where is the fun in that?

WizardKing
04-11-2009, 04:27 PM
VR457,
Cheers, I worked it out my way . . . 4 x 12" subs fit into 1 x boot !!

Not wishing to steal this thread, my install ;
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=484532#post484532

VR457
04-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Good idea if it works. Have you deadened the boot properly?

VR4WGN
12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
ithink that 2 12" subs in that small space is too lottle,way too little as you need an average of 28-32 cubicl litres correct? and i am positive you wont even have near 40 in that,as mine had only 26ltrs and thats going into the sidewall too

wintertidenz
12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I did some quick calculations last night without removing the side wall panel, as I was looking at a side mount box for my 12" subs - a box in the side space would be around 28 litres, so 1cuft of volume. 12" subs ideally need 1.25cuft of space sealed to run nicely, but 10" subs only need around 1cuft - I would suggest that a 10" rather than a 12" sub go in that space.

djb160
12-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Question: Does anyone have a picture of the factory optioned sub?

wintertidenz
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Q just picked up a factory sub box that goes on top of the spare wheel if that's what you mean? I'm sure he will have pics soon...

djb160
13-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Nah I was meaning the one that goes into the side wall (I think that's where someone mentioned they go), Im guessing it's an 8" of some sort.

Archie
13-11-2009, 12:50 AM
That's an awesome box VR4WGN, very envious.

VR4WGN
13-11-2009, 04:12 AM
thanx Archie,alot of time went into designing it just right to gt maximum litreage, as Wintertidenz says ait for this new box to arrive and ill have another awsum sub box avilable.

and some good news for all those interested in the sidewall unit but not a fan of the old price,i have a negotiation in progress for a kitchen co to manufacture the boxes cheaper for me so here to hoping all goes well,they wil lthen also make the new sub box in the parcel tray asell...

DJB.....- that sub is a vented unit and is hopeless,trust me its not worth it,not even remotely

qball
13-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Question: Does anyone have a picture of the factory optioned sub?
If you go to this link http://www.ironchefimports.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=282&Itemid=38 there is a picture of the factory sub in the boot pictures

djb160
13-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Awesome thanks for the link. I wasn't really interested in the factory sun itself, just how it's positioned. So any guesses as to what size it is? It looks a little big to be an 8"er to me but it might just be the angle.

VR4WGN
13-11-2009, 10:11 AM
it is factory a 6 im sure,but Brad may confirm this

kNuTz
20-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I've been thinking about this install (currently waiting on my VR4) and was going to install the sub/box on the left hand side as well.

I also have the two amps and a capacitor that I was trying to figure out how to show them off too.

Your installs have at least given me some ideas /woot

VR4WGN
20-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I've been thinking about this install (currently waiting on my VR4) and was going to install the sub/box on the left hand side as well.

I also have the two amps and a capacitor that I was trying to figure out how to show them off too.

iv done a twin sider in a legnum last month for a custmer.looks good but not my cup of tea,will hve pics soon

CANDEE
20-11-2009, 05:07 AM

Ray,

The amps should fit under the rear tray with no issues at all...

Will have to show you some pics of my old leggie installs sometime to show you whats capable.. :beerchug:

J

kNuTz
20-11-2009, 05:15 AM
The amps should fit under the rear tray with no issues at all...
Yea, think this might be my best option to install under the rear tray.. i.e.[Amp] |Cap| [Amp] layout

djb160
20-11-2009, 07:33 AM
... I also have the two amps and a capacitor that I was trying to figure out how to show them off too...

Under the rear tray isn't so good for showing off though. Unless you remove some carpet and plastic and fit in some sort of transparent material. that would be cool, overboard, but cool.

bradc
20-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I'd prefer it all to be hidden and tidy rather than hanging out and showing off.

kNuTz
20-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Under the rear tray isn't so good for showing off though. Unless you remove some carpet and plastic and fit in some sort of transparent material. that would be cool, overboard, but cool.

I know it may be a bit overboard but I like the amps and capacitor, would be cool to see the capacitor showing the voltage while the sub is drawing the power :drummer:

Would need a spare rear floor to cut up so I can always put the stock standard floor back in. I could always just create a whole new false floor, anyone know where to get matching carpet from though? Think the VR4 has dark carpet. (don't have it until Monday-ish now)

Also keeping in mind that I need all the room for the new :baby: on the way! (due February 3rd)/Banana (boots not for the baby of course lol)

djb160
20-11-2009, 10:34 AM
You'll change your opinion in about 3 years :D

scott.mohekey
20-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd prefer it all to be hidden and tidy rather than hanging out and showing off.

Depends how big it is.

VR457
20-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I know it may be a bit overboard but I like the amps and capacitor, would be cool to see the capacitor showing the voltage while the sub is drawing the power :drummer:

Would need a spare rear floor to cut up so I can always put the stock standard floor back in. I could always just create a whole new false floor, anyone know where to get matching carpet from though? Think the VR4 has dark carpet. (don't have it until Monday-ish now)

Also keeping in mind that I need all the room for the new :baby: on the way! (due February 3rd)/Banana (boots not for the baby of course lol)

Autoleads do them. Get a roll from Halfords for around £20. I have a pic on the forum of an install with a false floor. Have a search.

kNuTz
20-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Get a roll from Halfords for around £20.
One problem with doing that...

wintertidenz
21-11-2009, 01:58 AM
See if SLAP! in Wellington have any Fusion sub box carpet, that should be pretty close.

kNuTz
21-11-2009, 04:53 AM
See if SLAP! in Wellington have any Fusion sub box carpet, that should be pretty close.

Will have to check them out this week :) cheers

VR457
23-11-2009, 03:21 AM
One problem with doing that...

Oops! :embarasse