PDA

View Full Version : What are they like to live with?

Scottydawg
25-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking of buying a VR-4, I've looked on Auto trader, and on the ads on here.....

but what I really need to know is what are these cars like to live with on a day to day basis? what are common faults? Are they high maintenance/cost?

It might seem like I'm being picky, but I've never really had anything quick/sporty before (except my Kawasaki ZX6-R which will have to go if I get a VR). I currently drive a Mondeo diesel turbo, which is really reliable, and gets me, the Mrs and three kids to Devon from Yorkshire a couple of times a year. I'm only getting rid of the Ford, because I'd like a change, but I don't want to regret that decision, which is why I'm being extra careful!

Any comments would be gratefully received....

hardarse
25-07-2009, 09:58 AM
now than they are reasonable on parts if u can get them on internet, mine has been very reliable for over a ten year old car, the only trouble u will have is if u have three kids the middle belt is only a lap belt. and finding a decent cheap mechanic who knows these cars, cause mitsubishi as u know arent cheap or that good

elnevio
25-07-2009, 10:08 AM
The VR-4 is a great daily driver!

The costs will be a bit different than for the Mondeo though! Expect to use around three times as much fuel.

Servicing is normally every 4,500 miles.

The club is a great network for replacement parts, i.e. a lot cheaper than the mean stealership!

White Lightning
25-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree with Nev and I use mine most days to and from work. However, as Nev says the fuel costs will be a lot higher than a diesel Mondeo!

Reliability wise they are excellent ... just take your time and make sure you buy a good one. Often the best option is to go for one of the members cars for sale on here as they have a known history within the club.

ritch_w
25-07-2009, 10:23 AM
first thing is 20mpg and servicing every 4500 miles something you and your wallet can live with?

if so - buy a good well cared example (preferably from a member with known history) and you are sorted.
brilliantly quick family transport - you just have to be comfortable with running costs - VR4 will need a tank of juice every 200ish miles compared to your mondy's 500ish miles. Having owned both, i'd guesstimate your running const on a VR4 would be 3 to 4 times that of the mondy.

foxdie
25-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I use mine as my daily commute in and out of Birmingham city centre, I'm going through about 40 quid a week of optimax (but then I have a bit of a lead foot).

Reliability, can't fault it, there are reports over the forums of various parts failing, but you only hear about the bad stuff, mines been running sweet *touches wood, NOT THAT WOOD /pan* since I got mine in February, and mines 12 years old :)

The servicing every 4500 miles can be a bitch, when you're running Amsoil (which is the clubs fluid of choice), spending £120 every 6 months on the car to change the oils (particularly, the rear diff), it can mount up.

Otherwise though, they're great fun cars to own, comfortable and with just a few basic mods, they can give hassle to just about any 4 wheeled vehicle on UK roads ;)

elnevio
25-07-2009, 10:52 AM
The servicing every 4500 miles can be a bitch, when you're running Amsoil (which is the clubs fluid of choice), spending £120 every 6 months on the car to change the oils (particularly, the rear diff), it can mount up.
If you use Amsoil products, you can often go for extended drain intervals, which reduces the cost in the long run. :)

MPBVr4
25-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the club. I'm into my 6th year and onto my 2nd VR4. Use it most days back and forth to work. The only things that have failed were a mid section of exhaust on the 1st one and a wheel bearing on the 2nd.........so far.
MPG on the 1st Tipo one averaged 18 now average 22 on the 2nd manual one but will do up to 30 at a steady 70mph. Just been down to Penzance for a few days with the lads and the rest of the cricket team (not all in the VR4/pan ) and averaged 25 mpg over about 400miles.

rees
25-07-2009, 06:04 PM
i think they're very rewarding cars ; i was never into cars at until i got my first galant , but i fell in love with every thing about it, ive gone from knowing that the engine is the loud thing in the front, to deciding which boost controller to buy that will suit my future mods the best

THESES CARS ARE A LABOUR OF LOVE

but gettin back on track to answer your question
when they're working they're reliable and strong and COMFORTABLE
and fast and look awesome and are well laid out

on the downside parts can be a bugger to find but.../Welcome /Welcome /Welcome /Welcome thats where cvr4 comes in :

"the best $20 youll ever spend"

these guys are ninjas and youll get a reply within minutes of any query
a very friendly bunch too /yes

AlanDITD
25-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Coming from a previously mad about hondas, i can firmly say this is the greatest car i have ever owned.

Mines been 100% reliable never broken down once, and everything works as it should. But yeah they are a labour of love, if i didnt enjoy it so much i would have sold it not long after buying it and moved onto somthing else.

But i want to keep this car on the road and the best condition i can, its the most i ever spent on servicing and mods and i have only owned it for 6 months.

granted its now up for sale but thats through work rather than choice, if im ever in a postion again ill be buying another one, either that or a 3000gt.

If you can live with the costs, and i dont mean think meh ill be fine. work it out cause they are expensive but you pay for performace. All i know is when i took a mate out in it today four wheel drifting round some bend,s great brakes and instant power he was crapping himself but loved evey minute.

Buy one but do it open eyed, if it breaks you will be selling one of your kids on ebay to fund the repairs most likely.

Scottydawg
25-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I still want one, but my Mrs isn't too sure - I'll have to do some pretty good sweet talking!!!!!

swinks
25-07-2009, 10:08 PM
If she's a tiny whinny bit petrolhead just find someone with VR4 and take for a little run.

It's proven by scientists that 99% human population will then fall in love with VR4 :deal2:

/Devil5

aboo
25-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I still want one, but my Mrs isn't too sure - I'll have to do some pretty good sweet talking!!!!!
My wife was'nt to keen but now I cant get her out of it & she's admitted to having races off the lights.

I was also talking to her about getting another car for a daily drive to safe a bit of fuel but she was'nt keen on that cuase she loves the leggy so much now.

As Swinks said try to get her in one she will change her mined.