PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS Radar Detector ?

Spirit
07-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Guys/Gals

I am looking at maybe getting a GPS radar detector and wondered in anyone has one, or which would be the one to go for out of these:

Road Angel + Laser detector
Origin Blue I
Cyclops

The Cyclops is the cheapest and worst looking, the Origin Blue I is nice looking with voice aswell but no local dealers, and the Road Angel seems the most popular plus at the moment it retails at £399 with the laser detector INSERT INTO post VALUES (usually £40 more) and 12 months free subscription to updates.

I am drawn initially towards the Road Angel and there are currently some new ones on eBay for £275-£350 !

Any thoughts before I bid ?

Pete

Roadrunner
07-06-2003, 08:00 PM
I've been using a Road Angel for a year now, just renewed my subscription. Best piece of equipment I've ever had INSERT INTO post VALUES (and I've been using radar and/or laser detectors for probably 20 years!). Easily updated via the PC/internet connection and sits quite unobtrusively on top of the dash just in front of the clock INSERT INTO post VALUES (angled so I can still see the clock). I looked at a Morpheus Geodesy and the Origin Bluei before I bought it - preferred the display of the Road Angel over the Morpheus and thought the Bluei was too big. I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the laser attachment for the Road Angel. IMHO, it's too far away from the number plate to be effective INSERT INTO post VALUES (number plate is usually what's targetted) and, IIRC, the spread of the laser is only about 10cm at 800m so I'm not sure whether the windscreen-mounted detector would activate.

Brian

Spirit
07-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Brian

Thanks mate. Always good to hear how well someone else gets on with something and praises it.

I was pretty sure before, but you have made my mind up on the Road Angel I think. Just got to decide if I wish to part with about £350 :Ponder:

Cheers mate

Pete

landy
07-06-2003, 11:12 PM
i was thinking about getting a road angel - dimensions are 5.5” x 1.5” x 3.5” INSERT INTO post VALUES (according to blackspot) which will fit nicely below the stereo - before i was caught doing 90 mph.:Cry1:

as soon as i can afford it i will get one !!;)

Roadrunner
08-06-2003, 07:51 PM
landy,

If you're fitting the Road Angel below the stereo, you'll need an external antenna for it which, IIRC, blackspot offer as an option. The standard GPS antenna is in the top of the unit so needs clear line of sight to the satellites.

Brian

landy
08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
H.7,

thanks very much for the info:)