PDA

View Full Version : ATF Cooler

h31met
26-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I have been looking for a ATF cooler but i am unsure as to which one to get and where to get it from. I see from other threads that a lot of people have been doing the same thing. So please could people help show me the way forward cheers.

peter thomson
26-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I think my brother just ordered one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAYDEN-1405-TRANSMISSION-OIL-COOLER-HEAVY-DUTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a10Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q 2em14QQhashZitem518b6a3377QQitemZ350231343991QQptZ MotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

keithatport
26-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Yup, that's the the one I've ordered.

gallvr4
26-07-2009, 11:23 PM
this is the one i got the other day....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360168748273&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ACOSI%3AIE%3A1123

h31met
27-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks gallvr4 i have just got this one waiting on shipping now. Again thanks for the help people.

vr4-fan
28-07-2009, 07:22 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAYDEN-1401-TRANSMISSION-OIL-COOLER-FOR-COMPACT-CARS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQh ashZitem562db81f86QQitemZ370134228870QQptZMotorsQ5 fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

andrew38
28-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Out of interest how big does the trans cooler have to be, one link is for a V8 motor the other for a smaller car, also if you put the cooler in does that disconnect the cooling going to the radiator or supplement it?

gareth001
28-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Is this a worthwhile mod for manuals? I've only seen on here recomendations for doing this to auto cars? I'm assuming it is as cool oil is better!

elnevio
28-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Is this a worthwhile mod for manuals? I've only seen on here recomendations for doing this to auto cars? I'm assuming it is as cool oil is better!
No need for gearbox cooling on the manual (and probably not easy to do!). There is so much more heat and stress on an autobox's fluid.

Out of interest how big does the trans cooler have to be, one link is for a V8 motor the other for a smaller car, also if you put the cooler in does that disconnect the cooling going to the radiator or supplement it?
The cooler doesn't need to be very big to be effective - the ones linked to are probably somewhat overspecced (somewhat=very in terms of the one I have, which is specced for American motorhomes!!). If you use a small one (e.g. like a bike oil-cooler, which would be a good size) then it would be imperative really to mount it in free air-flow, like behind the foglight. The advantage of the larger ones, is that you can mount it to the front of the radiator, no probs, and there are various possible benefits such as temperature stabilisation via conductive heating, as while better than the ATF being too hot, ATF that's too cold (by being overcooled in winter) is not really a great idea. The workaround for that is of course to fit a thermostatic bypass valve.

As for the flow for the cooler, you can install it inline before the stock cooler, inline after the stock cooler or bypassing the stock cooler. Installing it inline before the stock cooler means that the stock cooler (being as it is a loop of pipe through the radiator) can act to stabilise the ATF temperature closer to optimum operating temp.

Confused
28-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I've got one that's about the size of a CD, and about an inch thick.

I've mounted it behind my foglight, and in-line with the OEM "cooler" in the radiator.

So my ATF goes through my separate cooler to cool, then through the OEM to "stabilise" the temperature, then back into the gearbox.

It does make the warmup from cold ever so slightly longer (the standard "cooler" also aids in quick warm-up by utilising the heat from the engine coolant) but I've yet to notice any ill effects (but I've yet to have a winter with it, only some very cold & wet days - where the wet effectively makes it an even more efficient cooler!)

andrew38
28-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that:thumbsup:

h31met
28-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I am planning on mounting mine before the stock cooler within the rad. This is to do two things. This will help cool both the ATF and the Rad. And also the stock cooler will also ensure the ATF is at a running temp for the gearbox.

I am also planning on mounting the cooler just under my bonnet. I have two vents on my bonnet one is over the air intake and the other is on the other side. So my plan would be to put the cooler on the other side.

This should pervent the cooler from getting any kind of damage from road stones and things. Well saying all of this i am not sure if i able to do it yet will have to wait and see what i can do when the cooler comes.

h31met
28-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Nutter_John
28-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Dude , not too sure if that would act as a low pressure zone and thus pull air out of the engine bay rather than air entering . also your pipes would be very long to get the cooler mounted in that area

Confused
28-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't think that'd be the best place - you'll have to pump the ATF right up there, and there'll be the chance it may drain out when left standing, plus it's some very long pipework, and it's right over the top of the very hot engine!

Best place is the two standard places IMO - behind the grill above the intercooler, or behind the fog light.

h31met
28-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I had thought of that and was thinking of running metal pipe work along the bolk head and down the battery side of the car to help keep the heat away. Also by removing the rubber seal from the windscreen side of the bonnet would encourage the air flow out of the engine bay.

I am sure the vents are designed to force air flow into the engine bay rather then encourageing the air out.

As for the system draining its self never thought of that but did think it is under presure so maybe a one way valve would be the answer.

I don't know i could be totaly wrong but no harm in trying and seeing what happens just have to keep a eye on it.

Garry was that you i saw the other day on the A40 near burford about lunch time.

Confused
28-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Don't think it would have been me, maybe not even the missus, either!

By all means go for it and test! :D