PDA

View Full Version : Custom exhausts

Jimbo
19-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Been reading with interest the past discussions about custom exhausts.

My corroded exhaust severed at the back box a few weeks ago, and although it's holding itself on, it sounds rather much like a tank if I get over 2K revs.....pretty depressing, really.

Replacement mitsi exhaust parts are stupid prices and long delivery times, and since I found out from Xtreme that HKS have stopped selling the Super Drager for the VR4 (and every other part too aparently) then a custom stainless job is not only the best option, it's the ONLY realistic option.

So, I just wondered what peoples current view is. Past posts suggest either 2.5" or 3" cat-back systems and at the moment I'm set on 2.5" so as not to change the characteristics too much bottom end, although I'm tempted by 3" for the extra power top-end, but I'm put off by the lessened torque.

I've been quoted £280 for a catback in 2.5" from Powerflow and they'll build it on the car on the day - anybody with any experience?

zentac
19-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Dont go with power flow they use cheap steal which wont last. When mine is back on the road Im off to http://exhaustsuk.co.uk Ive seen some of their work and very impressed. I want a 3" cat bypass and 3" all the way back splitting into 2 TVR Rear silences.

Unless Dave fancies a challange and building me one ;)

Jimbo
19-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, zentac.....just read a bit more on their website and they say they usually use 409 grade SS, whatever that means?! I seem to recall the lower the number, the better the grade, but I could be wrong. 304 grade is also available, apparently.

It's still tempting due to their quick turnaround (I'm desperate to get driving the car again!!!) and their locality to me, but I don't want to end up with a duff system.

zentac
19-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Its only 50 miles from Stoke to Sheffield along the A53 and it would be worth the journey. Depending on the type of exhaust you go for they will give you a lifetime guarentee.

pjjohnson
19-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Ascar ( AKA exhaustsuk) did mine and it seems OK, and they are helpful.

simpsonm
19-06-2004, 08:33 PM
I had an old car of mine done at powerflow. They cut the flanges off the old exhaust rather than making their own. Tight bstards. Plus the pipe work looked rusty after 12 months.

Jimbo
20-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback about Powerflow, all.

Just found exhaustuk's address hidden in the depths of their web site :rolleyes5 so yeah, sheffield, might take a little trip over their, but damn it's gonna be hard restraining myself on all those lovely roads getting there :-D

Also found this place up the road from me in Macclesfield - they "sound" pretty good, maybe worth a trip too. www.jpexhausts.co.uk

Can anyone guide me on the relative merits of 2.5" vs 3"? I reckon it's a lot to do with a comprimise between bottom and top end power curves, but if 3" doesn't make much of a difference in BHP top end, then I reckon I'm still more tempted by 2.5" as it won't alter the car's current characteristics too much. I don't really know what I'm talking about, either :$ , so if anybody can point out this is cobblers, then please feel free to flame away...it'll save me ££££'s!

Japmetal
20-06-2004, 07:11 PM
With a turboed motor the exhaust diameter shouldnt make a huge difference to 'top' and 'bottom' end power; the trick is to get as much difference in exhaust pressure before & after the turbo as possible, enabling them to get up to speed more quickly & spin [slightly] faster. The only reason for not having a 3" exhaust would be that it has no benefit over the 2.5" - or if you can't actually get a 3" to fit under there :rolleyes5

zentac
20-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Ive currently got 3" downpipes and I will be having 3" exhaust when I get round to having one made.

Jimbo
20-06-2004, 07:54 PM
3" sounding more and more the better way to go, thanks for the explanation Japmetal :thumbsup:

Spirit
20-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Doubt it will interest you due to costs etc, but the Super Drager is still available from Japan - Polabear sussed this out when he was looking to buy one recently. I assume they have some left out there and several suppliers said the can still get them - approx £550 to the door.

zentac
21-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Super Draggers are renound for the baffels going after a couple of years. I wouldnt recomend them to anyone.

Polabear
21-06-2004, 11:32 AM
In which case they would only sound even better on the mighty VR4..... :-D