PDA

View Full Version : LPG on a VR4

alscall
27-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi, I've been reading some posts about the VR4 & LPG conversions.

It appears that the Romano & BRC Kits seem to be the reccomended ones? Seeing as these kits aren't available in Australia as yet, I'm wondering if the guys that have their cars converted could help me out with some details, please?

Pictures of the engine install would be a great start, as would any info on the final maps that the LPG ECU's are running, where the cut-out point, size & location of injectors, etc.

If anyone has any dyno sheets comparing petrol & LPG that would also help to.

& lastly some web links to kits that may be available over there that I could possibly import to make things easier here for me.

Thanks,
Al

bigoxo
27-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Here's a couple of links to my own LPG conversion, if you want me to get technical info then i can speak to the guys who did mine if you like...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37241&highlight=lpg

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35958&highlight=lpg

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32857&highlight=lpg

alscall
29-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Here's a couple of links to my own LPG conversion, if you want me to get technical info then i can speak to the guys who did mine if you like...

Yeah, that would be great. Some more info on the injectors specifically, please.

Did you ever sort out the fuelling after 4000rpm? Or did you just leave it cutting out & switching to petrol? I'd be more interested in trying to get it to run all the way to red-line on LPG, hence the questions re the injectors.

Thanks & have you posted any pics if the engine install anywhere?

peter thomson
29-07-2009, 12:25 PM
One problem we have in the UK is that the LPG suppliers will not sell the top end kits to the public. You can easily by low spec kits but they are just not up to the job for a VR4. Therefore we have no choice but to pay often excessive costs for fitting them

pitslayer
29-07-2009, 01:58 PM
One problem we have in the UK is that the LPG suppliers will not sell the top end kits to the public. You can easily by low spec kits but they are just not up to the job for a VR4. Therefore we have no choice but to pay often excessive costs for fitting them
Which outweighs the benefits of having the kit done in the first place as you would have to be doing serious mileage to recoup the costs of fitting, and on top of that LPG isnt that efficient at high speeds, low speeds its great, but high speed it does very poor mpg

peter thomson
29-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Which outweighs the benefits of having the kit done in the first place as you would have to be doing serious mileage to recoup the costs of fitting, and on top of that LPG isnt that efficient at high speeds, low speeds its great, but high speed it does very poor mpg

No Kyle most kits will pay for themselves in 1 to 2 years. In reality if you intend to go down the lpg route you would be running the car for 5 years plus which I have done in the past. There are a lot of Legacy TT's as well as a few Imprezas with well set up kits and even RS4/6 on the go .You just need to find the right installer to do the job.

SGHOM
29-07-2009, 02:11 PM
It's been said many times...... Why buy a gas guzzling performance car, & want/expect 40 mpg out of it ??

Buy a micra :smash: :deal2:

elnevio
29-07-2009, 02:23 PM
It's been said many times...... Why buy a gas guzzling performance car, & want/expect 40 mpg out of it ??

Buy a micra :smash: :deal2:
Yeah. But your little economymobile won't go like stink when you get to your destination! :D

Ralliart1
01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
My Legnum works excellent with Lpg from over a year.The cost of running is cheaper like a Galant 2.0 GLS what I used before.
Now I'm oversea with car,my last experience is 16l/100km Lpg consumption wit big roofbox at 85m/h average speed.Without box is 13-14 l/100km.
The kit what I use is OMVL,works great in low or high boost setted by Map2Ecu.
Cheers,

Csaba

ritch_w
01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
see here forLPG kits / fitters / advice http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/

don't expect anyone to know about VR4s though! ;)

paulg23
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi All - Just thought I'd add my thoughts to this discussion. I have previously run 2 cars on LPG. One was a Volvo 740:zzz: the other a Volvo V70 T5. The 740 I fitted myself, the V70 I paid a garage to do it. Both were the old vaporizer systems that had a single LPG feed into the intake system. Both ran fine but the system on V70 wasn't really big enough. Fuel economy though was great.

I have been researching LPG systems again recently as I am looking to by a VR4 shortly. The sequential injection system prices have dropped dramatically as there are so many manufacturers worldwide. I have started buying the bits, on ebay, from Poland and Turkey. The only part that may be expensive is the LPG tank but they do come up on ebay.

Fitting the system is not difficult. If you can change a tap washer and fit a plug to a kettle/TV/etc then you can fit an LPG system. The only part I can see that may provide a small challenge is drilling and tapping the holes in the intake manifold for the injector pipes. A lot of the sequential ecu's are self mapping as well and the laptop software will warn of any problems.

There is an association called the LPGA where garages can get approved to fit LPG systems. There is no law to state that you must use one of these. DIY fitting is completely legal.

As for perfomance... I was looking at some dyno runs on the internet the other day (can't find them now!!!) of a Subaru running petrol and then LPG. The LPG run showed a drop of about 4 BHP throughout the rev range and I have read of cars that actually produce slightly more power on LPG.

I have contacted a supplier in Poland to try and get pricing for kits to handle up to 350 BHP. (I have a Polish friend to do the talking which helps!!). If anyone is interested I can pass on any prices if/when I get them.

By the way I am not a dealer. Just someone who likes big fast cars. I am an engineer by profession.

Anyway, enough from me, hope this has been of use to somebody!!

Paul

paulg23
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Me again.

I have reading stuff on the LPGForum and it seems they are not keen on comments on equipment and suppliers if they are negative, so getting honest opinions may be difficult. Don't know if this is because the moderators are in the trade or if they are scared if litigation. What a world we live in. :sigh:

Paul

bigoxo
04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
As for perfomance... I was looking at some dyno runs on the internet the other day (can't find them now!!!) of a Subaru running petrol and then LPG. The LPG run showed a drop of about 4 BHP throughout the rev range and I have read of cars that actually produce slightly more power on LPG.

Paul

Be under no illusion - the power difference is pretty vast on a VR4, running on LPG the power drop is pretty noticeable - i'd say more like 30 bhp.

My system has done about 25,000 miles now and has paid for itself easily, i do 100 a day when i'm working(all motorway) and who needs massive power there?

phosty
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Without box is 13-14 l/100km.

That's interesting - 13 lt/100km is 21.7 mpg. That's as good as my auto VR4 on motoroway runs. I thought lpg gave reduced mpg compared to petrol?

martin_y
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
That's interesting - 13 lt/100km is 21.7 mpg. That's as good as my auto VR4 on motoroway runs. I thought lpg gave reduced mpg compared to petrol?

Incorrect. It does use more than petrol.

However, its far far cheaper. so, what we need to consider is the Miles per £ !!

feonix
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
my VR4 has been on LPG for 3 years, the guy i bought it off installed it (he does it for a living) never had a problem with it! only cuts out when not enough in tank.

i'll take some pick of the install for you soon.

Feonix

Ralliart1
05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
(only cuts out when not enough in tank.)

I have same problems,but is possible to be easily fixed if the ECU is seted to switch back to petrol over let say 4500rpm.When the rpm going under, automaticaly switching back to gas.The bad bad point is,that never should have an accurate gas consumption,so I preffer to swich back manualy when cut off.

Csaba

feonix
15-02-2010, 06:02 PM
(only cuts out when not enough in tank.)

I have same problems,but is possible to be easily fixed if the ECU is seted to switch back to petrol over let say 4500rpm.When the rpm going under, automaticaly switching back to gas.The bad bad point is,that never should have an accurate gas consumption,so I preffer to swich back manualy when cut off.

Csaba
sorry, didn't explain right. it cuts from gas to petrol instantly when the gas is empty. it also switches when demand is high, like when overtaking, so you don't have a head on because the engine dies with no fuel! i can't fault this system, been on the car 4 years and runs fine.