PDA

View Full Version : TCL OFF - automatic switcher

Atik
27-07-2009, 10:14 PM
My PFL manual converted VR4 doesnt like having the TCL on when I'm driving. As I put my foot down, the car gets confuzzled and doesnt know what to do, so it just kicks the TCL active and cuts power! Very annoying for normal driving!

Kindly, Jason took it upon himself to make me a little gizmo and helped fit it for me this evening.

Works perfectly, switching the TCL off after about 2-3 seconds of the ignition being on. I still retain the control on the switch to turn the TCL back on if I should ever feel the need to. Nice little compact unit that I have zip-tied to the underside of the dash.

Stand up and take a bow Jase, job well done.

:)

foxdie
27-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Thankyou mate :)

Here's a pic of the completed unit:

uploaded/51922/1248730046.jpg

It'll send a single pulse about 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on to disable the TCL. You can then turn it back on if you want it, and it wires in without snipping any wires :)

Not sure if anyone else needs one of these (most likely will only be useful for those who have a manual conversion and kept the auto ECU), if you need one let me know, pricing TBC (Currently £30 before P&P, working on getting it cheaper)

elnevio
27-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Nice little mod that - good job! Have some rep! :thumbsup:

I might get one anyway, as I always turn the TCL off!!

miller
27-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Very true Nev, its always too late mid roundabout when ya remember!!! hmmm il look at this when i get back.

Can you do one to send a 'stop screaming' pulse to the mrs when AYC starts to light up?

Atik
27-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Can you do one to send a 'stop screaming' pulse to the mrs when AYC starts to light up?
You need an 'eject' seat for that :evil2:

elnevio
27-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Oooh - the screech of 'NEVILLE!' doesn't half ring in my ears... /lol

Roberto
27-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I know Tommie (Kiteman) was looking for something like this.

But sure if it was for the car with the sick engine or the other one.

kiteman
28-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks robert, its for the legnum with the good engine.
So Jason if you want let me have details of how long it will take to get one from you and how much to post to Ireland.
Cheers, Tommie

foxdie
28-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi Tommie, umm.. I don't know how much postage from Birmingham to Ireland will cost (can anyone advise? It's less than half a kilo).

I've got most of the bits, just no blue project box, can try and pick one up and have one ready to post out within a week or so, how would that sound?

Atik
28-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Jase, it'll be able to go in a small jiffy bag via standard mail I think.

Beastlee
28-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Very true Nev, its always too late mid roundabout when ya remember!!! hmmm il look at this when i get back.

I'm obviously not pushing my car hard enough as I suffer with neither of these, even with 3 bars lit up.:vulcan:

I've noticed that the TCL hasn't kicked in with me for months, even when I've got some pretty strong understeer on the route between work and home. It used to cut in far too easily but I think the current setup allows the car to handle much better. I never turn mine off by the way purely because of this fact.

That looks like a trick bit of kit, have some rep for taking the rime to develop something useful for the cars.

orionn2o
28-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice work mate. How big and complicated did it end up being?

Its hard to tell the size without something to reference it to!

I did make my own in the end just out of curiousity..

foxdie
28-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the rep :)

The box is about the same height, but half the width and depth of an old VCR tape. The circuit is a dual 555 timer, kept it simple :)

Hoping to simplify and cheapen it up. Lesson learnt; Don't buy components from Maplin ;)

orionn2o
28-07-2009, 09:39 AM
ooooh we should have a size off... who can make the smallest lol

foxdie
28-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Well I'm guessing you're into SMD soldering :) I don't have any prototyping equipment, but would like to get into SMD assembly. Just finding the cash to invest in the equipment :)

orionn2o
28-07-2009, 09:53 AM
actually i didn't... just plain old thru-hole stuff!

Kelly&Ben
05-08-2009, 01:41 PM
wow i want one of those! hate crappy traction control always being on!

foxdie
05-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Just an update, I haven't had chance to look into this recently, there are plans to make it cheaper, just a matter of time :)

miller
20-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Jason Jason Jason!

I want one now

I want one now

I want one now

Pretty please!

Mike

foxdie
20-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Mike, I've got the bits to build you one of the old design if you need it like within the next week, I've got Mk.2 on the drawing board which will have more reliable timing if you want to wait a month or so..

How urgently do you need it?

miller
20-10-2009, 09:27 AM
hmmm will wait if theres a better design, got caught yesterday exiting a roundabout and im shouting 'crap wheres the power gone'' as im side by side a tricked out VW polo.

TCL was on and slapping my wrist grrr

a month or so you say? you need a deadline me thinks lol

Mike

Atik
20-10-2009, 09:34 AM
In all honesty Mike, version 1.0 works perfectly everytime for me. It is wired up out of sight under the steering column so you never see it anyway.

miller
20-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Its all right Jason, i got one now, Matt had a spare one lying around so i have relieved him of that one!

Cheers

Mike