PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Brake Discs?

I-S
20-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to the standard mitsubishi brake discs for the GLS? I'm not really looking for a higher power brake, and I'm leaving the calipers alone, but the standard discs seem to have a habit of warping, and mine have been on and off for 20000 miles. It's not my driving (I brake gently and use handbrake at junctions) and I've seen a fair few others complaining of this. Is there a third party (brembo or someone?) disc that will fit straight on in place?

Japmetal
20-06-2004, 07:20 PM
I dont know about OE replacement discs, but I have a set of Black Diamond drilled & grooved discs on the front of mine. They are direct replacement for the standard discs and cost me £155 for the pair [Far cheaper than the Standard Mitsubishi items], but they also do grooved only or cross-drilled only for less than that.

I also have Black Diamond pads, and since I fitted them on Wednesday my braking has improved considerably [altho the pads need to be fairly warm before they are up to their best; this suits me fine however !]

Go here Motorsport World (http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/black-diamond-brakes.htm) for an idea of prices/application list.

I-S
21-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Interesting, thanks for the link.

Do they count as a modification for insurance purposes?

Japmetal
21-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I'd think it would be worth mentioning from a money-saving point of view; You might have made it faster, but you've also made it easier to stop !

Dont know how those prices will stack up for you [they arent necessarily the cheapest, just the first list I found !] but rear pads for my '90 GTi are £70+VAT from 'Bishi, and £30+VAT from BD, so I'm guessing the rest will be similarly cheaper too !

I-S
23-06-2004, 05:58 PM
I spoke to the insurance company and they said that they wouldn't regard it as a modification. So, I will probably go ahead, as today's mitsubishi mechanic report said "badly warped discs, pads 80% worn".

I-S
23-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Right, ordered. They're slightly cheaper on needforspeed, and delivery is less too. Overall, including delivery, about £40 cheaper than the stock mitsu parts (to get the drilled discs... didn't feel the need for the grooved ones). Hopefully won't be too much to get them fitted (unlike the £132+ VAT labour that one mitsu dealer quoted for changing discs!!!).

Cheers for your help!

Japmetal
23-06-2004, 10:33 PM
I actually bought mine from Demon Tweeks, since I know a few ppl there & get good prices [front discs, front pads & rear pads for £250 inc VAT, and I only live round the corner so I pick them up !] just that was the first place on Google with an application list !

As for fitting, do them yourself; it's only 4 bolts per wheel [on mine, 8 if you include removing wheel !] and the only other tools you'll need are

a) a big hammer for removing the old disc - they sometimes get quite attatched to the hub & need some encouragment to get them off !

b) a BIG pair of molegrips [or similar] to squeeze the caliper piston back into the housing

I may take some photos & do a 'how to' for this when I get my braided hoses in a few weeks' time ;)

As for the help, that's why we're all here ! I only hope they're as good for you as they are for me - I can now send ppl into the windscreen with only slight braking pressure once up to temp :-b and I'd be interested to hear how you get on too !

Polabear
24-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to the standard mitsubishi brake discs for the GLS? I'm not really looking for a higher power brake, and I'm leaving the calipers alone, but the standard discs seem to have a habit of warping, and mine have been on and off for 20000 miles. It's not my driving (I brake gently and use handbrake at junctions) and I've seen a fair few others complaining of this. Is there a third party (brembo or someone?) disc that will fit straight on in place?

National Racing 8 groove discs + Ferodo DS2500 pads £210 from Woodford Motorsport. be careful with drilled and grooved discs .. they have a tendancy to shatter..a lot of the guys are running the nation discs... the doggies dangly bits for the money.... ;)

Japmetal
26-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Some of us dont drive VR-4s so have to look elsewhere for our braking needs :p

And We had the chat about drilled discs on the temp. boards two days after I ordered mine, so it was too late to change my mind; If they fail horribly I'll have a few choice words with Black Diamond & they'll be making good any damage they cause ;)

HOWEVER 12 days & some hard/fast braking later they're still going strong, bedded in nicely and far superior to the standard ones :-b

Polabear
26-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Some of us dont drive VR-4s so have to look elsewhere for our braking needs :p

And We had the chat about drilled discs on the temp. boards two days after I ordered mine, so it was too late to change my mind; If they fail horribly I'll have a few choice words with Black Diamond & they'll be making good any damage they cause ;)

HOWEVER 12 days & some hard/fast braking later they're still going strong, bedded in nicely and far superior to the standard ones :-b

A mate of mine here in Deb'n with a V6 Sport estate used them, sorry to tell you but after a month they blew their brains out....may be a one off or bad karma.. or something.. but keep an eye on them..... :sad3:

I-S
29-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Well, mine arrived today. Didn't get the grooved ones (no need), so they're just drilled to hopefully stave off warping. They're going on the car on saturday.

I didn't realise how the pad ordering worked though, and have ended up with 4, so if anyone needs a pair of black diamond predator front pads for their GLS, let me know!

Kieran
29-06-2004, 09:16 PM
I didn't realise how the pad ordering worked though, and have ended up with 4, so if anyone needs a pair of black diamond predator front pads for their GLS, let me know!

Four pads is right, Issac. One pair of pads per caliper - There's pads on both sides of the disc, inbound and outbound. :)

I-S
29-06-2004, 09:25 PM
I realised that about 2 mins after posting it.... :rolleyes:

Indeed. I blame too long at work. And that I wasn't allowed to play the eels in today's listening tests... fixed that when I got home though. :-D

pezza
30-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Hi Isaac,

Good luck with the discs n pads... Let us know how they feel once you have done your emergency brake testing! I am getting some strange rubbing
noises when I apply my brakes and fear the discs are a bit warped too.

I may go for the grooved only discs.. so far the choice seems to be either
Black Diamond or National Sport? Are there any other manufacturers?

I almost collapsed when I saw the prices of disc / caliper sets!! I think I will just change the discs for now!

Does anyone know if the discs are different on the later non VR4 models that came with 17s and not 15s?

Cheers

Dek

I need to stop spending!

I-S
03-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, the discs were fitted this morning. At the moment, they're still bedding in and so there isn't as much braking power there as there was previously, but soon they will get there. It's so different braking with a disc that is true....

I-S
03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
And they don't graunch... at all. Ran them in a bit more... might take them on the snake pass tomorrow. Look pretty cool too. :D

I-S
04-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, the lack of graunching was only due to their not being bedded in.

They're much better now other than the graunch (which is endemic to autos I think). Stopping power is already beyond the mitsu discs, and more progressive.

pezza
05-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, the lack of graunching was only due to their not being bedded in.

They're much better now other than the graunch (which is endemic to autos I think). Stopping power is already beyond the mitsu discs, and more progressive.

Hmm sounds good Isaac..

They are next on my list to sort out..

Did you just get the fronts done?

How much did they charge you for labour?

Cheers

Pezz

I-S
05-07-2004, 02:54 PM
I did just do the fronts. Local independant garage charged me £40 labour to fit, inc VAT, so total was just under £200 for the entire exercise.

Japmetal
05-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Mine have also bedded in well, and now I've got used to the HUGE improvement in stopping power [my old kit was well past it's best] these are seriously good kit - maybe they seem expensive, but compared to OE they are pretty good value :)

I'm just glad my recommendation has worked out - I'd feel awful if they weren't as good for you as they are for me !

I-S
05-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Many thanks for the recommendation.

I keep suspecting that the discs are dragging, but I can't hear anything.... is it just paranoia?

And before kieran comments on the wheels being dirty, yes, they got dirty when the mechanic did the work, and with the amount of dust that bedding in the discs produces, I didn't clean them. Plus I'm currently in process of getting my other set of alloys reconditioned (stripped, skimmed (to remove kerbing), painted, lacquered), so they'll go on sometime.

What I haven't decided yet is whether to put the P6000s (which have had about 18000 miles on them and got plenty of wear left on them) onto the clean wheels, or to get a set of Eagle Venturas (before they become completely unavailable) or something for them, and run the P6000s down over summer, so I have fresh tyres for winter.

Japmetal
06-07-2004, 10:21 PM
I think Eagle Venturas have some of the sexiest tread-patterns I've ever seen :lipsrseal

I have a few funny whirry noises coming from my brakes, but I put it down to the pads 'rolling' over the grooves/holes, and the different composition of the pads themselves - none of the noises I have are nasty, they're just odd :rolleyes5

pezza
12-07-2004, 05:06 PM
JapMetal / Isaac..

Enjoying the new brakes? Have they settled down OK now? Any weird sounds
still?

I am on the verge of buying some of these discs. Think discs n pads will cost about 330 all round...

Pola?? U mentioned about these National Racing discs with ferrodo's ... are these the bizz too? I may ring up Woodford motorsport tomorrow b4 I shell out the cash..

Cheers guys..

Pezz

I-S
12-07-2004, 05:20 PM
The discs continue to impress in terms of stopping power.

I've had a few strange rubbing noises which have come and gone. I think it's just part of the settling in process, so not unduly worried yet.

Nick Mann
12-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Pola?? U mentioned about these National Racing discs with ferrodo's ... are these the bizz too? I may ring up Woodford motorsport tomorrow b4 I shell out the cash..

Remember that the VR4 that these get fitted to regularly are five stud. Make sure you get the right discs!

Japmetal
12-07-2004, 10:36 PM
I have no noises now except an annoying squeak which disappears with a press of my brake pedal; I don't believe it's the BD pads and discs tho - I have a feeling it's either my rear brakes for whatever reason [still standard kit] my front brakes due to the onset of piston seizure, OR front wheel bearing failure :(

More investigation to come, and hopefully a solution [and repair !] before the end of the week :-b

I-S
12-07-2004, 10:51 PM
The noise I get is from the front offside, and it goes "shiiinnnkkkk, shiiinnnnkkkk, shiiinnnkkkk", metal on metal. It's only happened for brief periods two or three times.

Japmetal
12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I get the exact same noise, except from the NSF - like a high-pitched squeal which is intermittent [gets faster with speed] but disappears when you press the brakes; sometimes it fades only while brakes are in use, others it will fade for a while as I turn left, then return later when I turn the wheel right :sad3:

I shall have to strip them down again [already done this once !] and give the whole a proper clean-up, see if I can solve it !

pezza
13-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Remember that the VR4 that these get fitted to regularly are five stud. Make sure you get the right discs!

Cheers Nick,

Yeh I had the same 4 stud 5 stud routine when choosing new alloys, I wont forget that in a hurry. Many of the wheels I wanted were in 5 stud pattern, typically. I did call Woodford garage and made sure it was the 4 studded discs. The National Racing ones are 8 groove 99 and 109 (front n rear respectively)...

Its strange as both National Racing and Black Diamond both quote the galant march 97 on as having 14inch wheels. then from august 01 the wheels stated are 15inch... It's no problem as my car is pre aug 01 so will come under the 14inch wheel category even tho I have 17s on.

Will do a bit more research before deciding....

pezza
13-07-2004, 08:48 AM
I get the exact same noise, except from the NSF - like a high-pitched squeal which is intermittent [gets faster with speed] but disappears when you press the brakes; sometimes it fades only while brakes are in use, others it will fade for a while as I turn left, then return later when I turn the wheel right :sad3:

I shall have to strip them down again [already done this once !] and give the whole a proper clean-up, see if I can solve it !

Cheers for the feedback Isaac/Japmetal....

sounds odd eh...which Black Diamond part number did you use?

Hope you manage to resolve the problem Japmetal...

Isaac have you thought about goin back to garage? esp if it continues?

Cheers guys

Pezz

I-S
13-07-2004, 09:43 AM
KBD 459CD

GLS were 14" wheels, V6-24s were 15" from 97. In 2001 or so, they introduced the sports on 17"s.

pezza
13-07-2004, 10:32 AM
KBD 459CD

GLS were 14" wheels, V6-24s were 15" from 97. In 2001 or so, they introduced the sports on 17"s.

Cheers Isaac,

Yes this is why I was wondering about both Black Diamond and Natinal Racing quoting 15s from 2001.

I spose I better focus on getting my insrance below 600 before investing in
new discs!

I-S
13-07-2004, 11:38 AM
My insurance company didn't regard it as a mod.

Still £1480 for the year though... :(

Kieran
13-07-2004, 12:05 PM

OUCH!!!!! :scared1: :wtf: :wtf:

Big Ian
13-07-2004, 12:23 PM

:wtf: :scared1: I'M GLAD I'M AN OLD(ish) GITT.......£360,fully comp with mod's added :D .............

I-S
13-07-2004, 12:52 PM
It would have been £720 at my parent's place, but that's a cat A postcode. I moved to Cat F though....

pezza
13-07-2004, 02:07 PM
It would have been £720 at my parent's place, but that's a cat A postcode. I moved to Cat F though....

What was the worst quote that you had, as I take it 1480 was the best?

Who is 1480 with?

I have been phoning round for insurance over the past couple of weeks..
and average seems to be 650 - 760. Which I think is high for v6-24. I keep getting the usual, its the type of car etc... Usually prevents me from asking ..."so how much for a VR-4"...

1480 seems so excessive tho?

I have been hanging on the fone for the past 3 mins and Adrian Flux quoted

I-S
13-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Worst was around £3k...

I am insured with IAM Select (open only to IAM members).

It's largely because I'm 22 (now, 21 when I bought the car), and had no previous NCB because I was named driver on parent's car (a 3.0 V6 incidentally. Never managed to persuade them to let me at the 4.4 V8 :(). Then there's the fact that the galant's security is not the best... I almost traded in to a new subaru legacy, because the insurance in cat F area would have been £820, but I didn't want to be tied into finance for 5 years (given that I own the galant outright).

Nick Mann
13-07-2004, 04:46 PM
The answer to that is surely to upgrade the security?

Japmetal
13-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Problem located; my rear [still totally standard !] pads & discs are totally shot :sad3:

I don't know if this is because of added abuse since my [still excellent] front upgrade, or due to some sort of caliper sticking problem. I shall have to get some rear discs ASAP then I can strip the lot & get ti sorted once and for all :-b

I-S
13-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Nick - that would be too easy...

It would still be over £1000 I reckon (as the subaru is group 11E... the galant would get to 13E perhaps), and at what cost for the security system? I don't know how long I'll keep the galant (probably a while now, but you never know... Might find a good V6 :D), so I couldn't be sure of seeing a return on the investment.

Japmetal
13-07-2004, 08:13 PM
A decent cat 1 alarm/immobiliser from Toad is around £400 - the people who fitted my brother's even came all the way from Sheffield for the day to fit it, at no extra cost !

Surely even just a cheap thatcham-approved immobiliser [I had one fitted to my last car for under £100 inc the kit itself] would help bring premiums down ?

I-S
13-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Isn't the standard fit alarm/immob on the 8g thatcham cat 1 anyway?

Nick Mann
13-07-2004, 09:08 PM
If its cat 1 then the immobiliser kicks in again after 30s, even with the car unlocked.

Big Ian
13-07-2004, 11:39 PM
this may be a dum ass question...........but...can you test your own alarm/imob to see that it all work's proper?
(ok the sad bit!) ive try'd sittin in my car activated the alarm,waited 60 sec's..and when i turn'd the key the alarm started doing it's thang and.....car started,but i switch'd it of straight away?.........

bernmc
21-01-2005, 02:15 PM
I know that this is an old thread, but because I am 'Legnum Pending', I'm reading as much as I can...

Any update on the Nationals and diamonds. What about those zany things that bigdavewotsit has?

And have any of you tried greenstuff pads & discs from Powerstop (http://www.powerstop.co.uk/)? I used their front discs & pads back in my pre-house/family/responsibility days when I had a behemoth of a Jag XJR - bearing in mind that it was a two ton monster with a 4l supercharged lump that hit 60 in just over 6 secs. I had it after an Impreza P1, so it was thoroughly abused! The turbogrooved were a marked improvement over the originals, and seemed to outlast the suspension bushes, which I went through like candy!

I picked up a pair of greenstuff pads on fleabay for a fiver for my current ancient old Legacy Estate, and even they made a big difference to breaking & feel.
I don't know what bits for the legnum would cost, but I was quoted £138 for turbogroved discs + £49 greenstuff pads for my wife's hyundai coupe.

I may give them an email.

Slimshady
21-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Totally agree with Mitsi disks warping – mine are FUBARed and the MOT is due in the beginning of Feb

I am going to replace the lot (front and rear discs and pads) and currently looking at EBC can anyone offer advice. I don’t want to pay a lot – preferably cheaper and more reliable than Mitsi parts – I don’t want race brakes cause the wife drives it a bit.

Found this site on another link and considering ordering from them: http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pl.asp?Vehicle=MTGAL01&PartType=BRE10

Slim

I-S
21-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Slim - I will recommend the BDs. They're cheaper than the mitsu discs. The pads give a firmer feel than the mitsu ones did, but they don't require heft to operate... I'm a whole 8.5st, and I had no trouble at all in getting the ABS to kick in and stay in in the dry when someone did something imprudent...

Check the total price inc VAT and shipping... you might find motorsportworld are cheaper than needforspeed, although I got my fronts from nfs. I am going to do the rears sometime soon.

Slimshady
21-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks M8

Slimshady
24-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Mine have also bedded in well, and now I've got used to the HUGE improvement in stopping power [my old kit was well past it's best] these are seriously good kit - maybe they seem expensive, but compared to OE they are pretty good value :)

I'm just glad my recommendation has worked out - I'd feel awful if they weren't as good for you as they are for me !

So good to hear that – only a few hours ago I purchased a full set of Black diamond disks (grooved and drilled) and pads – worked out less than £340 (inc vat and del)

I only hope I have ordered the correct set

Hopefully fitting them over the weekend – I will take pictures if I have enough time

Slim

I-S
24-01-2005, 11:57 PM
£340.... that's less than one rip-off mitsu dealer quoted me for front discs and pads and fitting, and I only drive a GLS!

Slimshady
25-01-2005, 12:06 AM
£340.... that's less than one rip-off mitsu dealer quoted me for front discs and pads and fitting, and I only drive a GLS!

I only drive the V6 - try this link http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pt.asp?Type=1&Category=14&User=NFS&vehicle=MTGAL01

Slim

DUNLY
12-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Newbie here. Isaac u have probably already tried, but elephant was the best for me for my insurance by far. i'm 22 same as u and its now £720 fully comp, but saying that i had a 93 galant, and my first insurance policy was £1200 TPFT. :embarasse That info on the brakes is brilliant, i'll be getting those discs and pads before the summer hits, fed up after 2/3 corners after really driving the thing, theres no breaks there, and the judder through the pedal is crazy, be getting that sorted.

How long u had the GLS

DUNLY
12-03-2005, 05:15 PM
oh and i'm no from the US btw LOL

I-S
12-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I got the GLS in june 2003. At the time I lived in a category A postcode, and my insurance was £917. Then I moved to category F and it went to £1480. Now I've moved to cat D on street, and early quotes for the next time around are around £850. It's my first car, so no NCB until that I've built up over those two years.

Roadrunner
12-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Isn't the standard fit alarm/immob on the 8g thatcham cat 1 anyway?
I know this is a seriously old thread but, no, the standard immobiliser on an 8g is Thatcham Category 2. Cat 1 includes the ultrasonics.

I-S
13-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Ah, ok. I'll look into what difference it will make to premiums and maybe think about getting one. I take it that mitsubishi will charge me three times as much as any other place?