PDA

View Full Version : Qs for the LC-1 owners.

Beastlee
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
A few Qs for those who have fitted wideband oxygen sensors using the exisitng connector.

1. What did you do to replace the rubber grommet/bung from the original cable? It's the main thing stopping me fitting mine right now as I don't want an opening left for water and road dirt to get in.

2. How did you fuse it? I'm probably going to need to order a holder and fuses from the UK. I do wish companies would supply these things if they say you should fit them.

3. Where did you mount the switch and LED? As I'm using it with Evoscan, which has a calibration option, I probably only need the LED now I think of it.

4. Has anyone fitted one with a Profec E-01 and E-Manage Blue? I know they both need the boost pressure input on the blue so i have to work around it somehow.

I'm hoping to get the fuse sorted this week and get it fitted. It's been a bloody year since I bought the dammn thing so I figure it's about time I got it fitted,

Kenneth
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
1) I re-used the grommet from my old narrow band sensor. be careful removing it though. Oh, and it was fairly difficult to stretch over the wide band sensor, but possible! Then just cable tied it.

2) The power source I took from the car is fused. Took main power off the ECU.

3) I have a small 2.5mm white LED wired in parallel to a black push-button switch. The LED is soldered to the switch terminals so they are pretty much 1 unit. They are then on extended wires which are "squashed" into place by the centre consol surround.
It isn't permanent, but I don't think I want to have it out in the open permanently (some twit is bound to want to push the re-calibration button :P)

Beastlee
03-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks Kenneth that's exactly what I hoped to hear.

Turbo_Steve
03-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I was always keen to put the LED up on the dash binnacle (or in the clock display?) and hide the calibration switch inside the sunglasses holder :)

Beastlee
03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Steve, I was thinking something similar, I'd like to use a redundant lamp holder in the binnacle to indicate the status.

Turbo_Steve
03-08-2009, 04:07 PM
OOooh! That's s****ier than mine! I was just thinking of putting the LED in the bottom facing forwards so I could see it.

Do VR4s have a "Cat on Fire" blank in the dash? That'd be a cool one to use!

Beastlee
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
LOL Perhaps Brad can tell us what extras lurk in that area for re-use.

Beastlee
12-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Ok new Q. How do yo get the cabling through the hole? I'm laid here with a 20mm hole, a 22mm o2 sensor and a 32mm connector block!

Really would like to finish now and go home rather than redo it all again tomorrow.

peter thomson
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
A little bit of filing sorted it out for me

Mark 4
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
A little bit of filing sorted it out for me

Same here.

I have push button and LED in the little coin holder, together with NOS switches. It needs tidying up but you get the idea.

Mark 4
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Try again.

Beastlee
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys suprising how little an amount of filing it actually took. THe sensor is fitted and calibrated. Mark I like your idea but I think I'll just sit mine in the sunglasses holder as I don't use it for anything.

The next issue is my logging, it appears Logworks 3 will not see my LC-1 and the LM programmer is intermittant. I have recommeded USB/Serial converter (Profilic) but Logworks just keeps telling me I have no data stream. Tomorrow I'll meter the 2nd analogue output and look to connecting it to the E-01/E-Manage. I'm not sure the sensor is actually heating up like it should as it seemed to be cool far too quickly for it to have reached any kind of high temps.

Beastlee
13-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok, it's in and after a little hassle I can get readings. At the moment however it fluctuates wildly at tickover and reads way over 22 constantly, i regularly see 38s and a few 56s! About to go and recalibrate again but can anyone advise what I should be seeing?

Turbo_Steve
13-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Tickover should be like any lambda and oscillate back and forth between stupid rich and stupid lean. This seems to be the best way to pass emissions test (nothing to do with economy).

As the system reacts to the sensor, and the sensor takes a moment to react, this generally means the oscillations are about 2 or 3 a second. It does seem to vary between cars somewhat.

peter thomson
13-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Ok, it's in and after a little hassle I can get readings. At the moment however it fluctuates wildly at tickover and reads way over 22 constantly, i regularly see 38s and a few 56s! About to go and recalibrate again but can anyone advise what I should be seeing?

Something isn't correct there Lee. My one sits at 14.7 at tickover and on deceleration 21 and it can't show a value greater than that .Has the recalibration sorted it now

Beastlee
13-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks folks recal has done the trick. Also looks like the LM Programmer with Logworks3 has an issue and had managed to set it to run between 6.3 and 6.7AFR which explains a few things! It's now set to run 15.2AFR and ticks over around 15 and 21-22 on decellaration. Here's a log of me drivng around camp after fitting theres a couple of short blasts int he middle just to see what it would do. Seems to go to about 12 with WOT in 4th from low speed. Will log it properly when I get a chance this week.

Hooked it up to the Profec but it's 0.00V@7.35AFR and 5.00V@22.4AFR but not sure if that'sset right but both are configured the same. It matches Evoscan so I guess it must be. Just need to work out how to get the Profec and e-manage to use them for mapping.......Wodjieae you reading this?

Cheers again guys I'd be lost without you all.

Excel Spreadsheet (amended to highlight data)- http://legnum.mine.nu/Downloads/96_VR4_Legnum_Beastlee_13-09-09.xls

CSV File (Untouched)- http://legnum.mine.nu/Downloads/EvoScanDataLog_2009.09.13_21.24.30.csv

I'd much appreciate someone knowledgable looking over them and offering opinions and advice.

Beastlee
16-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Anyone? Would really like to get some tweaking in before the weekend.

Mark 4
16-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Lee, those files are taking like forever to download, can you just post them up ?

Beastlee
16-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Sorry the site doesn't allow either format so they're hosted here at home. Less than 1mb each but my conn is only 200k up

Turbo_Steve
16-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Download was fine, but OpenOffice took one look and hung :(

Beastlee
16-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Too big? Opens OK for me in Office 2k7 :(

Turbo_Steve
16-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I'll have a look at work, Lee.

OpenOffice is just a bit rubbish sometimes.

Beastlee
17-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Cheers Steve. I must find myself some decent storage for these things but I'm certainly not using rapidshare and the likes!

Turbo_Steve
17-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Interesting : I suspect that what EvoScan is reporting for some of these numbers is nonsense: some of these readings definitely aren't the things they say they are! (for example EGR Temp!)

The fuel trims look a little too "static" as well, apart from the "low" trim, though the VR4 does run VERY rich.

What happened at 33:59.1 - fuel cut?? Engine load is through the roof (so big airflow) RPMS in the midrange, but the injectors are off. And whatever is being measured by EGR temp goes a bit doolally at that point!

From what I can see (diddling with the units) you need to turn the boost down: it's failing to run enough fuel in a couple of places and knocking a little.

Bear in mind I am trying to read this at work without getting caught, but if Knock Flag and Knock Sum are relevant, and the timing and TPS are accurate, that's a little hot and a little detty for my liking.

If nothing else, I'd get yourself down the hardware store, get yourself some ear-mufflers and a bit of hose and a bit of copper pipe and make yourself some det cans, and wear them whilst doing a bit of driving.
If you hear det (and trust me, you won't miss it) then lift off, pull over, turn the boost down.

It's entirely possible that I am making a hash of reading the logs, but I don't think so.

Beastlee
17-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Steve,

You may well be correct on nearly all counts, if I turn SET or GAIN up by a mere single unit I get cut under load. I only have a couple of knock counts throughout and the maximum is 80. They all seem to be at odd times too, with little or no revs and load.

One of my big issues with Evoscan is the lack of explanation of each item. I know it's aimed at people who deal with this kind of thing every day but some kind of description would be useful.

LOL I think I just worked out what happened at that point....I turned the car off then back on again. or it's when evoscan dipped out and reconnected. The RPM is zero immediately before it.

Turbo_Steve
17-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Ahhh....maybe. They're unusal numbers to see all together in the usual operation of an engine! :)