PDA

View Full Version : Help with Brakes

AlanDITD
02-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Now i know you guys at crail laughed at me for not putting that carrier bolt in but i replaced the carrier and def put the bolts back in as tight as humanly possible and the bottom one has gone missing again??

Whats going on. I actually dont think i forgot last time if this has happened again. Yesterday it took some hard braking at the end of the drag day but just tonight driving home that familar clunk of caliper swinging about hitting the disc.

I have a spare bolt luckily i can use. Very confused though.

White Lightning
03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Perhaps you have overtightened it and stripped the thread or perhaps the thread in the caliper is damaged from the loose bolt vibrating around before.

Personally, I would not have done the bolt up "as tight as humanly possible". The torque settings for those bolts is 90Nm if I remember correctly. So, yes they are tight but not as tight as humanly possible!

AlanDITD
03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Hmm the thread is still there and it nothing has stripped. Very odd - my tight as humanly possible is just maybe not very tight then.

Will put the new one in and torque to 90nm and then see what happens.

White Lightning
03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a good plan Alan. I personally always use a torque wrench for this sort of stuff.

Confused
03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Try it with some LokTite?

AlanDITD
03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a good plan Alan. I personally always use a torque wrench for this sort of stuff.

Yeah i have one the problem i found with it was that when the car was on axle stands it was very difficult to get the wrench in the arch to apply any pressure.

Odd thought that the other side has been 100% fine and i did both in exactly the same way.

The side that has come off is also a new carrier with two new bolts.

White Lightning
03-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I usually just use fingers to start with, then wind the bolt in with the standard wrench so that its fairly tight and then use the torque wrench. There is enough room in the arch to use a long torque wrench you just can only do about 1/8 of a turn at a time.

AlanDITD
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah will give it a go tonight, its clearly my own doing willget it sorted tonight. Will be checking everything under there now aswell just to be on the safe side.

Alan

Turbo_Steve
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Alan.........you ARE turning the steering full lock to give you more room, aren't you? :)

I did my first brakes on my metro when I was 17, and took me ages and a lot of swearing......it wasn't until my next door neighbour came over after doing the passenger side, leant through the window and dragged the steering round that all the bolts suddenly became much easier to access! :D :D

AlanDITD
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Alan.........you ARE turning the steering full lock to give you more room, aren't you? :)

I did my first brakes on my metro when I was 17, and took me ages and a lot of swearing......it wasn't until my next door neighbour came over after doing the passenger side, leant through the window and dragged the steering round that all the bolts suddenly became much easier to access! :D :D

You know what mate your right i havent done that lol, its not the first time i have done the brakes but never thought to turn the wheel. :rolleyes4

Cheers
Steve.

kiteman
03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah, turn full lock in the direction of the disc you're working on and remove the ignition key. This helps hold the disc in position giving you max access to the caliper bolts

AlanDITD
03-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the advice guys,

Al sorted tonight, got the wrench in there and everything is now torqued up to spec. Hopefully no more silly things happen now.