PDA

View Full Version : Collecting the new VR-4 TODAY ...

White Lightning
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Kate has got the day off work tomorrow (good, as she needs it the hours they have made her work since she went back to work on Monday) and I have got the afternoon off as time in lieu for working most of Saturday. So, we are taking the train down to Taunton at lunchtime to pick up Malc's VR-4 and then I will be driving it back up the A303 to it's new home in Bracknell.

Can't wait for the drive home, although I will have to do some training on my left leg tonight to make sure it's up to all that gear changing ... just hope I don't get to a junction and just put my foot on the brake to stop and forget about the clutch /lol

gallvr4
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
congrats on the new car /GJ .....hope it goses well for you..
one hand on the handbreak just to be sure...:laugh: :laugh:

Nick VR4
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Ohhh nice one safe trip :)

Spirit
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Safe trip mate, give me a call if you need some advice on using a manual gearbox /STP

HMG1K
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Congratulations - good luck - and happy & safe driving!

MPBVr4
03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Good route home, plenty of roundabouts, lots of overtaking opportunities but look out for Camera vans !!! They seem to abound on the A303 some days.

Anyway I'm sure you'll enjoy it with those extra bhp's.:speechles

See you tomorrow.:happy:

psbarham
03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
just hope I don't get to a junction and just put my foot on the brake to stop and forget about the clutch /lol

nah that could never happen /Hmmm :thinking: :whistle: :whistle:

anyway enjoy the drive, the difference is incredible

aboo
03-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Have a safe trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive home.

White Lightning
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks all ... in work early today as I am leaving at noon to meet Kate at the station.

/bounce

elnevio
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Won't be a long morning for you at all then...

"COME ON CLOCK!! GET A MOVE ON!! IS IT TIME YET!!" :furious4:

Nutter_John
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
You will love the journey back but it will take so long for the morning to pass

enjoy it buddy

White Lightning
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Still only 10am ... :furious4:

/Wayne starts tapping his figures on the table in an unpatient manner ...

MPBVr4
04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
The deal is done. Wayne is on his way home with a big :d on his face/Wyhy

TAR
04-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Will you be changing your name to mauve lightning....or even trigger lighning??

:happy:

MPBVr4
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Where is he? Has he got lost? Or is he posing around Bracknell:D

elnevio
04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Stuck in 1st all the way probably!

:furious4: "Why won't this thing change gear!! Grrrrr!"

White Lightning
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
He's been enjoying the new car too much ... :D

Well, what a FANTASTIC drive home. Yes, it was raining most of the way but that didn't put a dampener on things! I absolutely love the new car. It drives SO well. You forget just how good the standard VR-4 is ... so quiet and comfortable at motorway cruising speeds. There are no rattles, or knocks, nothing. I absolutely LOVE this car.

And the manual gearbox ... wow, that's just the icing on the cake. The in gear acceleration is superb. Much better than my white one. And pulling away from the lights is so much more fun now. I am VERY, VERY pleased.

Thanks again Malc, for selling this wonderful car to me. It is going to be very well looked after in my possession /yes

ANTHONY
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
photos are now needed of the 2 together it's the :rulez:

White Lightning
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Stuck in 1st all the way probably!

:furious4: "Why won't this thing change gear!! Grrrrr!"

I did manage to change out of 1st ... eventually, when I realised it was not going to do it itself /pan

White Lightning
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
photos are now needed of the 2 together it's the :rulez:

Sorry ... :end:

But you are right of course. /yes

It's dark now so I will get it sorted tomorrow. :)

MPBVr4
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Glad you got home OK and of course that you're happy with the car. Couldn't have gone to a better home. Now ENJOY !!

Spirit
04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Glad you're pleased with it mate........now for some transplants

Nutter_John
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
ha ha love the new icon Malc

Now you have to learn to drive again Wayne , but you'll love it on track

Wodjno
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Congrats Wayne.. /yes

And what you gonna spend all the extra money on that you save on fuel /Hmmm

The Vee
05-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Sounds like you're a happy chappy - will look forward to meeting this one!!

bradc
05-08-2009, 04:19 AM
So....the auto is good, but the manual is how much better? :D

If only all of the manual haters were open enough to go for a drive in a manual one. Then they'd understand.

White Lightning
05-08-2009, 06:39 AM
And what you gonna spend all the extra money on that you save on fuel /Hmmm

Actually, I did work out even with only doing 3000 miles a year (although it will be more this year with two 'Ring trips) and an estimated 4mpg improvement, I would almost save enough in a year to pay for the road tax :D

So....the auto is good, but the manual is how much better? :D

Absolutely, Brad ... the auto is great, but the manual is absolutely superb /Steeringw

haha - I just remembered there was one occassion yesterday on the way back after we stopped for a coffee/burger :D that I did start the car and put my thumb on top of the gear knob and was about to about to pull it back into fourth as if it were drive to drive off /lol

I did realise before I actually did it though /pan

White Lightning
05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
So, what does (approximately) 540bhp, 12 cylinders and four turbos on your drive and in your garage look like ....?

Something like this ... :rolleyes4

(nearly time to drive to work :D)

elnevio
05-08-2009, 07:00 AM
(nearly time to drive to work :D)
Is it the 72-mile route this morning?! :D

White Lightning
05-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Is it the 72-mile route this morning?! :D

I don't know why Nev, but even though it's the school holidays I have got a terrible feeling that the Bracknell traffic is going to be horrible today, so I am going to take the looong way to work to avoid it. Just inc case, you know.

What was that Glenn was saying about saving fuel? :laugh:

bradc
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
The only question is, last time you had two VR-4's one got sold quite quickly, what will happen this time (long term) and why not one with a boot? :D

White Lightning
05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
The only question is, last time you had two VR-4's one got sold quite quickly, what will happen this time (long term) and why not one with a boot? :D

They've both got perfectly good boots thank you /pan

Well, in all honesty it's not practical for us to keep both. I knew that before I collected the new one but having made the mistake I did last year with buying the JD, I was not going to commit to anything with the white one before I was sure.

When I collected the JD, I kinda knew right away it may not be the right car for me. There was not enough headroom for me and that was a big issue. But, it wasn't just that the car just didn't feel right for me. Hard to describe. Two things really, one the car was very "in yer face" and that's not me, I like subtle more than in your face. And also, I guess that car would always have been thought of as Spirit's car within the club no matter what I did with it.

This one was/is different. Ever since Malc first got it, I knew that if it ever came up for sale I would be interested. So, when it popped up last week I jumped at the chance. Went to Taunton to have a look, and really spent a long time looking over the car and went for quite a long test drive. I wanted make sure I was doing the right thing this time.

Before going down to collect it yesterday, I was happy that I had made a good decision in buying it and I was reasonable certain the white one would have to go at some point.

But, it wasn't until the drive home last night that I realised just how good this car is and with the manual box it's just so much more alive and fun to drive than the white one. Don't get me wrong, I love my white car. But one of the main reasons I love my white VR-4, is because it's a VR-4. The new car is still a VR-4, just one that's a bit better :D

When I got home, I popped open the garage, saw the white one, and kinda thought "sorry fella, we had a good innings, and I love ya to bits, but the time has come for a change". I didn't feel like that when I had the JD, I wasn't sure.

So, as Pete says, time for the transplants to begin. "Operation: Return the Lightning to standard" will begin on Saturday.

This weekend, I am setting about undersealing the wheelarches on the new car and swapping over the Teins. That's the first job. Then it'll be the KADs/Brembos. Then the exhaust and so on and so forth.

Once the white one is returned (pretty much) to standard spec, it will be going in to have the bodywork done, then get MOT'd and then it will be up for sale.

And this time ... it WILL be sold /yes

Turbo_Steve
05-08-2009, 06:33 PM
So, what does (approximately) 540bhp, 12 cylinders and four turbos on your drive and in your garage look like ....?

Usually an expensive laundry bill :D

OR possibly like this?

http://www.resimler.tv/data/media/309/Bugatti-EB110-SS.jpg

bradc
05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, when I think of 12 cylinders and 4 turbos, an EB110 always enters my mind :D

Wayne - good to hear that you're putting all of the good mods onto the purple car :D

Turbo_Steve
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
EB110 is my dream car.

I like your driveway contents, though!