PDA

View Full Version : Noisy exhausts!

Pescha
08-06-2003, 03:30 AM
Look what information I have found about our new ruling about exhausts in New Zealand.

Noisy exhausts and the warrant of fitness inspection
Background

If the police issue you with a ‘green sticker’ because of a noisy exhaust your vehicle must pass a new warrant of fitness test. This is not new law, the police have already had this power under section 115 of the Land Transport Act 1998.

However, a new requirement in place from 2 May 2003 is that only an LTSA appointed Transport Service Delivery Agent can remove the green sticker. These agents are:

the Automobile Association of NZ
On Road NZ
Vehicle Inspection NZ
Vehicle Testing NZ

The questions and answers below provide vehicle owners with some information on how this process may work.

Questions and answers

1. What is a noisy exhaust?
An exhaust may be considered noisy if the effectiveness of the silencer has been reduced making the noise from the exhaust system noticeably and significantly louder that should be expected for the vehicle. In practice, this means that the noise from the modified exhaust system should not be noticeably and significantly louder than the noise from the original exhaust system fitted by the vehicle manufacturer.

2. What is a ‘green sticker’?
A green sticker is a notice INSERT INTO post VALUES (coloured green) that the police will stick to your windscreen if they believe your vehicle doesn’t comply with warrant of fitness requirements, including noisy exhausts. The green sticker is also used if your vehicle is impounded for unauthorised street or drag racing.

3. What do I do then?
You must take your vehicle to a Transport Service Delivery Agent for a new warrant of fitness check.

4. What if the existing warrant hasn’t run out yet?
A green sticker automatically cancels your current warrant of fitness.

5. Will they just check the exhaust system?
No. Your vehicle will have to go through a complete warrant of fitness check.

6. Does this also apply to motorcycles?
Yes.

7. What about people who have high performance cars and motorcycles – can they get a green sticker for being too noisy?
Yes, the noise issue applies to all vehicles, but you are more likely to get a green sticker if you are stopped for ‘boy racer’ type behaviour.

8. What can I do if my vehicle fails a warrant of fitness because of a noisy exhaust?
Option 1: You could have a new exhaust system fitted so that it isn’t noticeably or significantly louder than the exhaust system that was originally fitted to the vehicle INSERT INTO post VALUES (get advice about this from a parts supplier, manufacturer or local garage).

Option 2: You could modify your existing exhaust system so that it isn’t noticeably or significantly louder than the exhaust system that was originally fitted INSERT INTO post VALUES (a parts supplier or your local garage can give you advice on this).

9. What if a garage gave me a warrant of fitness after a modified exhaust was fitted, and my vehicle now fails a warrant of fitness because of noise?
If you want the garage investigated, make a complaint to the LTSA on 0800 699 000. Also check out your consumer rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act by contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Go fiqure uh? there goes my modified exhaust when the factory one dies!

Cheers,
Pescha!

Ultra VR-4
08-06-2003, 08:32 AM
:mad2: :gun1: :arse: :cry2: :bawling: :uhoh:

BraindG
08-06-2003, 11:28 AM
wow, thats not very fair - spoiling your guys fun!