PDA

View Full Version : RPM Signal from ECU - Resolved

foxdie
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Greetings all,

I'm posting this because I'm a little confused as to what pin I should be tapping from the ECU to get the RPM signal for my Starbo G-12.

Looking at THIS (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232245&postcount=1) post here, there are 2 conflicting pieces of information.

It shows on the black / white drawing that the pin is 19 on the 22P (fourth) connector.

The following image shows it as being pin 8 on the 12P (third) connector.

Please can someone clarify which pin I should be tapping? I'm driving a PFL 8G Auto Galant VR-4 ;)

EDIT: It is pin 8 on the 12P (third) connector, second from the bottom left as you look at the cable as it's plugged into the ECU.

peter thomson
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I use pin8 on the 3rd connector for my SAFC and boost controller

foxdie
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Well I tapped pin 8 (3rd connector), I got a seemingly tangible RPM output for the Starbo, although it reads high for some reason, it reckons I was doing 1200-1400 RPM at warm idle (tachometer was showing about 700-800 RPM).. is this common?

Confused
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Could it be thinking it's on a 4 cylinder car, rather than 6?

foxdie
06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Just read on some forums the little button on the rear is the RPM calibration button, will have to do that later :)

There's no manual for this thing but I've mostly got the hang of it's installation and features, is it worth writing one for the world to read?

White Lightning
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
What is it?

foxdie
06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Starbo G-12 Turbo Timer

There's a couple of scattered pages of its manual in Japanese but I've played with it enough and got a wiring diagram to write a generic installation guide in English.

foxdie
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Okay, pressing the little button on the rear gave me a number counting up between 1 to 12, I set it to 6 (6 cylinders after all) and now it works perfectly :)

It's interaction with the immobiliser (Toad AI606) is a weird one though, the turbo timer works fine, I take the key out, the engine stays on for the preset time. What is weird however is that trying to arm the alarm in this period only locks / unlocks the door (immobiliser naturally thinks the keys in there)... when the turbo timer turns the engine off, the doors unlock (anti-jacking feature locks / unlocks the car automatically when you turn the ignition on / off), so I have to wait and re-lock the car.

Can't be helped I guess.

The flip-side is that I've pretty much figured out the whole unit and will write an installation / manual in english and post it on our forums.

Should I post it in the public section with the hope that Google indexes it and brings more people to our site?

wintertidenz
07-08-2009, 06:12 AM
With your alarm - is there a turbo timer feature that you have to enable with it?

foxdie
07-08-2009, 07:55 AM
With your alarm - is there a turbo timer feature that you have to enable with it?

Not that I know of, it just plays nice because the turbo timer makes the immobiliser think the key is still in the ignition (which is why when the TT turns the engine off, the doors unlock).

Once the TT turns the engine off, the immobiliser will inevitably kick in.

Confused
07-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Okay, pressing the little button on the rear gave me a number counting up between 1 to 12, I set it to 6 (6 cylinders after all) and now it works perfectly :)
Woo! :) I were right! ;)

White Lightning
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Should I post it in the public section with the hope that Google indexes it and brings more people to our site?

Personally, I don't think it matters too much.
If the instructions are quite VR-4 specific it may be best to put it in the Articles Library though.