PDA

View Full Version : Tyre load ratings

colVR4
21-06-2004, 10:20 AM
HELLLLLLOOOOO everybody

I am back after my extended stay in a tent in the bumhole of the world. As a treat to myself with the cash that I saved while being away I bought some new alloy wheels for my car. They are MOMO fighters 17" with AVON ZZ-3 215/40/Z17 tyres. These are so much better than the DUNLOPS that Mitsi stick on the Sport Alloys. I will post some pictures as soon as I wash my car (fearing the wrath of Kieran) :evil2:

I bought them from.....don't give me grief on this one....H**fords for £711, which I don't think was too bad. However, despite stressing to the sales guy that I wan't him to check that they were the right wheels and tyres for the car there seems to be a small problem :dozey: I had the wheels fitted free by a local tyre dealer who I know and he commented a couple of points.

The first was the the load rating for the tyre is 83Y, which is less than the original 87W ??? I knew that the speed rating had to be the same but to be honest I didn't know that there even was a load rating. He mentioned that if the load rating was too low the tyre could explode. Does anybody know anything about this and if so will this difference cause me a problem?

The second thing was the change in diameter of the tyre and wheel combination. Because I now have 215/40/17 instead of 215/45/17 the diamter is smaller and can affect gear ratios and speedo readings apparently. Again, is this going to cause any problems?

Any information on the subject would be gratefully received and I am sure that there are a few other people who are as clueless on this subject as I am.

Thanks all......and it is good to be back!! :-D

lorriman
21-06-2004, 12:46 PM
I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Momo wheels you've just bought.

I'm still having problems with the Mitsi Sport ones. Another 2 are buckled and I aint hit a single pot hole!

For tyre size ratings look here

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

For information on load ratings etc. look here

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk

lorriman
21-06-2004, 12:57 PM
I've done the calcs and here are a few...

Your Speedo / Actual speed
31 / 30
41.4 / 40
62 / 60
72.5 / 70

So, it's not as bad as buying a bigger wheel/tyre combination when you'd be going faster than the speedo was reading.

Why did you end up with 215/40's and not 215/45's anyway?

colVR4
21-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the information. It looks like the difference between the 83 and 87 is about 58 kgs per tyre.

The reason that the tyres are 215/40 is that the alloys came as part of a package from Halfords. The two options available were 205/40 and 215/40 tyres. I told them that I had 215/45s fitted and asked them if it would make a difference if I fitted the 215/40s. They told me it wouldn't make a significant difference and that it would be okay to fit them. I asked them to check the wheel and tyre combination for my car, which they did with the MOMO supplier and they said it was okay.

The wheels themselves look like they were made for the car and look great with the lower profile 40s instead of the 45s. It does make it even more obvious that I need to get the car lowered to fill the arches a bit more and get either a brake upgrade (any guidance on this most welcome) or get the calipers painted.

The reason that I got the MOMO's is for the very reason that you have mentioned, that the SPORT rims that I had buckled slightly on the inside edge, that combined with the fact that I needed four new tyres and getting them as a package worked out cheaper in the long run.

lorriman
21-06-2004, 03:38 PM
:-D Good man! I would agree with you about the wheel arches. There looks like about enough space for 20" wheels, though I know there isn't.

You'll definitely need to paint the calipers. Lots of threads on this one, but I have done it and it takes about half a day.

I bought the special kit from Halfords for £22.98 or £21.98 - it comes in a box and includes paint, hardener which you mix with the paint when you're ready to go and a can of brake cleaner spray. You'll need to buy a small paint brush and, if you don't already have one, a wire brush to get the old rust off before you start.

I did a wheel at a time 'cos I don't have a professional jack, left the wheel off for about 1-2 hours and refitted to move onto the next wheel.

The results are fantastic. Very smooth finish and really easy to clean through the alloys. I went for black, but they do anything from pink through red to gold.

I painted the circumference of the hubs too as this looks grotty when rusty.

I think we'd all be interested to see a piccy of the new wheels if you can.

colVR4
21-06-2004, 03:49 PM
As I mentioned, the pictures will be along shortly as soon as it is clean enough to pass the Kieran inspection. Kieran will be pleased to hear that I spent 3 1/2 hrs washing and...wait for it...waxing my car last week. Since then it has rained so I will have to do it again....bloody weather!!

I have been toying with either white or yellow for the calipers. I didn't want to go for the bog-standard red!! I think white would look 'fat' (to borrow a phrase from the spotty oik who sold me the wheels) against the black and alloys.

lorriman
21-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Never thought of painting them white. Brave!

Black is very understated, but shines!!

And I think it's Phat, but then what do I know at my age?

Kieran
21-06-2004, 04:23 PM
As I mentioned, the pictures will be along shortly as soon as it is clean enough to pass the Kieran inspection. Kieran will be pleased to hear that I spent 3 1/2 hrs washing and...wait for it...waxing my car last week. Since then it has rained so I will have to do it again....bloody weather!!

:lolz: See the power the GOD of GLS Power commands! Mere mortals with their unpolished cars tremble before me..

(I shall not mention my own car at this moment, given it's recent bath in auto transmission fluid!:$)

lorriman
21-06-2004, 04:33 PM
:lolz: See the power the GOD of GLS Power commands! Mere mortals with their unpolished cars tremble before me..

Kieran

Just think yourself lucky. You didn't attend the Mitsi Motors Owners Club event on Friday and lose out to a 53 reg Pinin in the 'Best Presented Car Competition'. I was up at sodding 6:30 with the shampoo and polish and the old git who won it hadn't even bothered parking it straight in the car park. :veryangry

If there was ever a cleaner car in the World that morning (except yours of course) I will eat my centre console. It was a stitch up I tell you.

Nige

colVR4
22-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Here is a teaser shot of the wheel on its own....

http://www.dpmotorsport.com/parts/momo/images/figther-big.jpg

car piccies to follow very soon :cool1:

The Vee
22-06-2004, 10:05 PM
like the look of those momo's just put some 5 spoke wolfrace on mine. Same thing as you though must get my calipers done !! Incidently, where IS the bumhole of the world??????????????

lorriman
23-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Here is a teaser shot of the wheel on its own....

http://www.dpmotorsport.com/parts/momo/images/figther-big.jpg

car piccies to follow very soon :cool1:

:smitten: Lovely looking rims mate!

Let us know how you get on with them as I'll probably get rid of the bendy ones on mine before too long.

Especially interested to hear if they are resistent to buckling and corrosion.

Nige

nick-f1
23-06-2004, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=The VEE Incidently, where IS the bumhole of the world??????????????[/QUOTE]

Bradford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colVR4
29-06-2004, 10:59 AM
As promised, here are the pictures of the car with the new MOMO Fighters attached.

Whatyathink? :-D

ritch_w
29-06-2004, 11:24 AM
nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

just need them eibachs!!

lorriman
29-06-2004, 11:44 AM
:wow: They look just greeeaaattt. Good choice!!