PDA

View Full Version : Nurburgring/Nordschleife - The Green Hell

chris g
06-04-2003, 04:33 PM
So we have an events page of our own and I return to my favourite subject/hobby/tarmac heaven.

We are never, probably going to organise our own trackday

We are unlikely to have the funds, unless the Evo lads and lassies see sense and convert to twin turbo heaven INSERT INTO post VALUES (I am starting to overuse that word) and I have a sense that some/many/all of you are somewhat disinterested/nervous about taking our babies on track.

So why not just visit a place informally, no helmet or special insurance needed and try a tourist lap or two.

That's what you do when you visit the Nurburgring/Nordschleife

Even some of the Evo's risk a lap or two there!

I can sugget some w/e dates to pick from and I can book b & b, get us there and take people on laps if they just want to see it first before trying maybe one lap, carefully.

It's not the place that you may think. I am a careful driver and the only troubl I have had has been my own fault NOT from others on the track

Take time to think about it - dates in June, Aug INSERT INTO post VALUES (2) and Sept

It's a beautiful area for a holiday - the Eifel mountains, fresh air and the Moselle valley a few miles away.

So come on, take a chance on having fun, it's not a risk if you are sensible, and I am sure we can all be sensible with our babies when we need to be!

Apart from responding to this you can see me at Japfest about this great idea for an informal VR-4 event

Hell, we could even have t-shirts for the 'event'

"Club VR-4 Ring trip 2003"

"VR-4 Posse visit the Ring 2003"

What fun we could have - my goodness my imagination frightens me at times

Chris

Roadrunner
08-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Good idea, Chris. Don't know if I've got the time this year either, but I did cost out a trip last year at around £900-£1000 for a four-day three-night long weekend, including fuel, ferries, track passes, B&B and essential food and drink. Just so folks know what they're letting themselves in for. INSERT INTO post VALUES (Driving from Scotland, so the fuel expense is greater :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( )

Probably worth every penny though :)

Brian

BraindG
08-04-2003, 12:59 PM
then the service when you get back :mad:

id love to go, however money are preventing me even considering this.. if the car could be teleported there.. then yah.. id be there in a flash INSERT INTO post VALUES (boom, boom)

seriously though.. sounds like something to remember..

you going?

chris g
13-04-2003, 10:25 AM
I am going to Ring this Easter for 6 day w/e and thenother dates thru the year

For a taster why not visit as a passenger with me

All you would have to pay would be your b & b, food and drink

Anyone interested can get in touch for further details and dates now or at Japfest or send PM

We couild arrange a meeting point - I usually go via Dover but have been thinking about try Hull- Zeebrugge to save driving miles in UK

Maybe the Posse in the frozen North might be interested given the astronomical miles they have to travel to reach civilisation

And it is a memorable place - the scenery, the cars that fly round the track and the track itself!

Be hearing from ya?

Chris

Spirit
23-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Chris

Did you capture any of this on cam mate ? Any great pics you can post on here - would love to see the car/s and t-shirts in action !

Pete

chris g
24-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately no

The Ring used to allow filming but some bastard/journo grabbed scenes from a website it seems and they were in print or TV

Unhappy with publicity the Ring authorities banned all photos AND filming during public days

So your only chance is with a hidden bullet cam - I have one but not fitted to VR-4, yet

May try to get footage during rest of year

Chris

Spirit
25-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Thats a damn shame Chris - guess we will have to wait until Japfest for some pics of us all then - and some video footage of you on the track of course :cool1:

Pete

chris g
25-04-2003, 06:51 AM
What?

Me being filmed on track?

I never thought of that!

I'll try not to make a mess of it - keep out of peoples way and just let the V6 work a little

PM on it's way to you

Chris

Petrolhead
25-04-2003, 11:05 AM
I would soooo love to do the ring. I priced it at around 600 last year, but that was based on an MX5.

No way I can make it this year, we have too many other things planned, but I may try to plan an SS-R trip there next year, if I save all my pennies.

I've seen plenty of video footage, and I was surprised at what I saw. I was expecting a big wide "track" like Hokenheim, but in reality it just looks like a wide twisty country road, like the main road up to Skye INSERT INTO post VALUES (but without the on-coming traffic) ;)

The temptation will always be there to push it a little harder, and if a crowd of us go, it would probably be a good idea to start at different times to avoid that competative atmosphere.

Have a great time, I'm soooo jelous :Cry1:

chris g
25-04-2003, 05:29 PM
To all of the VR-4 Posse

Why not go as a passenger - see the place decide if you want to take your own car

I will take passengers - you pay for your room, food and drink

We would just have to arrange where we meet for me to pick you up

Not that expensive then and no excuses?!

rest of 2003 trips - June - Aug x 2 - Sept

Chris