PDA

View Full Version : What kind of suspension you are using ?

IvanEC5A
08-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Hi guys, what kind of suspension that you are using for your EC5A/W ?

Most of the VR4 in HK are using the Tein HA, and I am using the Apexi WS. Trying to look for a replacement and wondering whether there is anything from Ohlins or Blistein. Any pricing information too ? :Ponder:

Spirit
08-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Not looked into that yet mate, I am using standard shocks and HKS Super Form Springs. I cannot recall anyone on here from the UK who has non standard shocks INSERT INTO post VALUES (but I am usually wrong :D ); but someone will know.

Pete

BraindG
08-06-2003, 11:30 AM
i was told, that the HKS hiper damper kit would fit on, then was told by someone else, that it wouldnt.. think HKS Europe said it first, but i didnt get a 100% answer..:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

IvanEC5A
08-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Oh, so the culture in HK is different. I can say that nearly 90% of the VR-4 owners here have changed their stock suspension...and 80% of them are using TEIN HA. But I am looking for some other alternatives from Europe.

Hope someone can help me on this topic ? :)

Brind
08-06-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm running standard as far I know, can't say I've looked properly but it is the original ride height.
Maybe I should look as the previous owner has played with this car a little.

It isn't the culture that is different, it's more of the expense here I'd say.

Spirit
08-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Brind is right - it's the expense of buying the parts and also the impact on our insurance premiums :mad: !

Pete

IvanEC5A
09-06-2003, 03:16 AM
IC, so for how much you guys are paying for your insurance ? Is it true that by changing any parts you need to pay more premium ?

In HK it is damn expensive too, every year I gain more NCB INSERT INTO post VALUES (No Claim Bonus) but the premium remain the same, meaning that the discount is offset. Further, the excesses are getting higher and higher, just got the latest proposal to renew the policy and the excess is 50% of the insured amount if my car got stolen !!

Spirit
09-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Ivan

Have a look at this thread for some of the amounts we pay:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410

:grr: :mad2: :grrr: :io: Damn insurance companies !

Pete

pjjohnson
09-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Ivan - do you like the Tein suspension - how does it compare to the standard set up ? Is it height adjustable ?

IvanEC5A
10-06-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by spirit979
Ivan

Have a look at this thread for some of the amounts we pay:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410

:grr: :mad2: :grrr: :io: Damn insurance companies !

Pete

The amount you guys talked about is for comprehensive or just 3rd party ?

IvanEC5A
10-06-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by pjjohnson
Ivan - do you like the Tein suspension - how does it compare to the standard set up ? Is it height adjustable ?

I am not using TEIN but Apexi WS. It is soft and good for daily driving and your girl friends or family will not complain. It is height adjustable but not the damping force. If you drive harder at corners then it wont be able to provide enough support.

Most of the VR4 drivers that I know in HK are using the TEIN HA and the general comment is good. Compare to my Apexi, it provides better support at corners and the level of comfort is still acceptable. It is height and damping force adjustable.

Seems to me that there is not many choice for EC5A/W. But I do want to look for other alternatives from Ohlins or Blistein, if they are ever available.

Brind
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes they are fully comprehensive although for some cars if not all perhaps depending on car value INSERT INTO post VALUES (I don't know) there isn't a great deal of difference in price between the two.
Although you would be a fool not go for fully comp.

EdmundVR4
13-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Ivan EC5A, how does the original suspension compare to your aftermarket Apexi system ? I ask because I am quite satisfied with my stock EC5A suspension INSERT INTO post VALUES (5 speed manual). I autocross with this car and I sometimes have better times than Evo's & Impreza's, depending on the course. So, my car is quite competitive. Does anyone know if there is any difference in suspension between manual gearbox & tiptronic equipped VR4's ? INSERT INTO post VALUES (my VR4 Type S has AYC)
Thanks for any comments.
Edmund

IvanEC5A
16-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Edmund, the original suspension is good for daily driving and the setting is purely saloon type, it is so high that induce so much body roll at corners and which I feel insecure.

The Apexi WS suspension is height adjustable and I can lower the car by 20-30mm but still provide comfortable riding quality. Body roll is reduced so I have much more confidence at corners. However, the damping force cannot be adjusted so it is the major drawback.

Regardless of manual/ auto EC5A/W there is nothing difference in the suspension.

haydar
16-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by IvanEC5A
The Apexi WS suspension is height adjustable and I can lower the car by 20-30mm but still provide comfortable riding quality. Body roll is reduced so I have much more confidence at corners. However, the damping force cannot be adjusted so it is the major drawback.

Regardless of manual/ auto EC5A/W there is nothing difference in the suspension.

How much did the Apexi WS suspension cost???

IvanEC5A
17-06-2003, 04:28 AM
I bought it 18 months ago and cost me HKD7K, about 560 pounds. Now some of the shops here have discounted to HKD5K and that equal to 400 pounds.

Tein HA is a better choice and is selling at HKD7K here. It is the most popular choice in HK.

haydar
17-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by IvanEC5A
I bought it 18 months ago and cost me HKD7K, about 560 pounds. Now some of the shops here have discounted to HKD5K and that equal to 400 pounds.

Tein HA is a better choice and is selling at HKD7K here. It is the most popular choice in HK.

Are they not doing any discount on the Tein HA ;) .

IvanEC5A
17-06-2003, 04:33 PM
If ever there is any discount for the HA, I should have changed arleady. Sorry !!

eavr-4
05-11-2003, 04:45 AM
Am from Singapore Galant Club.

We have quite wide variety of suspension combinations!

Personally myself and 4/5 other owners are using Tein HA

3 of our members are using D2 Racing
others using Koni-HKS/Tanabe/RS/Merwede etc combinations

As for HKS, confirm they have a kit for VR4 but would not come cheap S$3K minimum

Currently we are organising a group purchase for Tein HA for some of our members INSERT INTO post VALUES (self Import) at S$1200 INSERT INTO post VALUES (not including shipping).

As for D2 Racing, we have neg. special discount from local dealer for S$1300 INSERT INTO post VALUES (include shipping, VAT, installation and tuning).

EA

stonegr
01-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Not looked into that yet mate, I am using standard shocks and HKS Super Form Springs. I cannot recall anyone on here from the UK who has non standard shocks INSERT INTO post VALUES (but I am usually wrong :D ); but someone will know.

Pete

You mean HKS SF5? how does the original springs compare to your aftermarket HKS springs?

Spirit
01-02-2004, 10:09 PM
The Super Forms were the older version mate, and they were fitted to the car when I purchased it so I can't really advise as to the improvements they made to handling - but they make the car look better IMHO :D

Not had any issues with inconsistant tyre wear either so far, the VR4 has a double wishbone set up I believe.

pjjohnson
02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
I put some HKS springs on my Legnum and I agree with Spirit that it made the car look better, but as far as handling went I think it was worse with the lowered springs on everything but nice flat surfaces. Also had problems with speed bumps, damaged the undertray and parts of the exhaust. When I went back to std springs, found that the std rear dampers were completely knackered and the fronts were on the way out.