PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise from the front end!

Davezj
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
well it come to us all eventually!

this was not on my car but it was a VR4.

anyway, knocking noise from the front end.

short version:-
break clliper had dry slide bolts and the bolts were in the wrong postions. bolt with rubber end was in the bottom hole.
rebiult brakes correctly and knocking noise has gone, job done.

full story:-

Noise:-
loud mtalic clunk/knock.

Symptoms:-
noise is from the drivers side front, when going over sharpe bumps, not speed bump, but a rough road.
here is the key bit of information, the noise stops occuring when driving over the same bit of road if you put you foot on the bake slightly while driving.

Possible culprit:-
Brake callipers not secured properly.

Actual fix:-
well i had a look under the car and checked and the suspension bushes, drop links, etc, while i was under there and they all look fine.
now for the callipers, i grabed the piston side of the calliper and gave it a shake.
and yes it rocked about, which is not so bad, as when the piston gets push back in to the calliper it will move slightly but should be quite stiff. i checked the calliper slide boltsand bracket bolts for tightness and they were fine. this calliper rocked a lot and quite slackly.
So i took the calliper off and the slide bolt were almost dry, but the slide bolts were in the wrong place the bolt with the rubber was at the bottom and the other bolt with the flats was at the top.
so thought i would do the fix properly,
1. cleaned out all old grease from holes.
2. cleaned old grease from slide bolt and they were pitted/corroded (need replacing).

as i didn't have any spares we had to make do with what we had, and reused slide bolts and rubber end bits. I did not have the proper grease either so used copper grease, only needs to last about 4 weeks as all these parts are going to get replaced in about 4 weeks time when his brakes get a full refub with new disks pads bolts rubbers correct grease.

anyway back to the job in hand.
rebuilt the brakes with bolts in the correct position and grease on them.

the rock in the clliper was significantly reduced.

so while i was there i did the other side and this was in better shape with some grease still working on the bolts but they were in the wrong position also. so rebuilt that side as well.

Outcome:-
went for a drive and knocking has gone completely.

so bear this in mind if you have a knocking noise from the front end. drive over the same bit of road the gives you the knocking with left foot on the brakes slightly. and if it disappears check your calliper bolts for correct position and grease.

Hope this help someone else out.

Nick Mann Services
09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
:thumbsup: