PDA

View Full Version : drop links & anti roll bars!

Davezj
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
does the length of the drop link make any difference to the opperation of the anti roll bar.

I know that to have an adjustable anti roll bar, you change the connection piont to the anti roll bar, moving it closer and away from the anti roll bar pivot point. the closer yo get to the pivot point the harder the roll bar becomes ( due to turning moments). but does the lenghth of the drop link have any effect?

Nutter_John
10-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Yes changing the lenght has an effect on the handling of the car

fwirc

Longer at the front makes the car more prone to oversteer
Longer at the back makes the car more prone to understeer
Equal lenghts at front and back will keep the car in it's default state

So by adjusting the front and back lenghts you can adjust the handling tendancy's of the car

Davezj
10-08-2009, 11:20 PM
wow my thought would have been it doesn't matter as if a long drop link moves 2 " then the anti roll bar moves 2". if a short drop link moves 2" then the anti roll bar moves by 2". the same effect. i supose this is assuming that the anti roll bar reacts the same about it's pivot point.

i will have to head round this one. i nee to replace my rears so i was thinking about my options.

Anderz
11-08-2009, 06:42 AM
The lenght of the drop link should not make any difference to the stiffness of the ARB. The thing that matters is the distance between the ARB:s pivot point and the drop link connection point.